What's new

Razors, and Shaving stuff you bought but wish you had not. Bad purchases, or bad products?

Just like an empty zoo, I have no egrets.

I wish I didn’t have a bad reaction to Ach Brito Mogno shaving soap. It is super slick, smells great, and is affordable, but my skin despised it more than my razor and my nose loved it.
Bummer. I had a similar experience with the La Toja stick and creams, presumably related to the mineral salts.
Like you, it was disappointing for me, as it is affordable and by most accounts a great performer.

• Feather DE Blades - unleashed hell on my skin, even with a AS-D2.
  • Voskhod DE Blades - more tug than a horny adolescent lad.
  • Tatara Masamune Todachi - too aggressive.
  • Acca Kappa Green Mandarin Cologne - bugspray city.
  • Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger - uncomfortable handle, hard to splay, and a lather hog.

Chiseled Face Midnight Stag soap

Heh. I really, really like Midnight Stag soap, but I can completely understand not liking it. If I were naming it, I'd call it "1980s Sporting Goods Store."

I'd never wear the after shave, but smelling the soap while I shave takes me back to buying shotgun shells with my dad and brother before heading out to hunt quail.

It's a nice nostalgia bomb for me, but I don't want to smell like gun oil and leather rifle cases after I'm done with the shave.

What one person hates, someone loves. Don’t think most shave stuff that has been around for long time is bad. It just something some people dislike.

Good News is in 2024 we got many many choices of everything for wet shaving.

Captain Nemo's Absolute Zero aftershave.

I wanted an AS with a lot of cooling for this summer. It has over-the-top cooling as suggested by its name and the phrase "double mentholated" in its description. So it works as advertised but it's just not for me...
  • I learnt more isn't always better when it comes to methol in aftershaves.
  • I dislike the fragrance it has (to put it mildly).
  • It does not moisture my skin like the comparably priced Anherb AS, which even comes in a higher quality glass bottle as opposed to the cheap plastic bottle of the Nemo AS.
Going forward, I will use ice cold water to rinse my face followed by more traditional aftershaves.

Peace x3 🙏

I've bought a couple of soaps over the years from small soap makers that just didn't work. Either didn't lather, lacked the required sickness or the lather vanished quickly. No major issue as they turned into overpriced hand soap.

I have bought a few straights that I wonder what I was thinking. One was damaged beyond repair and the scales were not worth salvaging. This was even clear in the photos. Another looked ok but had a considerable frown and the scales were cracked upon receipt.

Overall very few items I regret buying.

I've bought a couple of soaps over the years from small soap makers that just didn't work. Either didn't lather, lacked the required sickness or the lather vanished quickly. No major issue as they turned into overpriced hand soap.
Have done this too, converted poor-performing shave soap (or soaps I no longer liked the scent of) into hand soap just to use it up and reduce that "guilty" feeling.

1. Proraso Green shaving cream. It caused a patch of irritation on my skin that was so bad that 10 years later I still flare up in that spot sometimes when I overshave.

2. Muhle R41. I'm glad I broke out of my "all I need for the rest of my life is a Merkur 34C" box by getting the R41 last year, but otherwise it's basically a razor-shaped self-torture device.

Top Bottom