What's new

June 2017 Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Smokin' & Grillin'

Mess Hall Group Cookout

Everyone likes a cookout. So that's what we're doing. It will be a lot of fun and this includes you. The idea of the cookout is very simple. We plan on having a monthly cookout with a theme where everyone is cooking the same thing. Any and all members are welcomed to join. The cookout dates will be posted so you will have plenty of time to gather your ideas and ingredients. A theme of what's to be cooked will also be posted. Each participating member will cook from their own home using any method they see fit, (including inside ovens and stove-tops) but staying within the theme for that week. Posting time will include two weekends from Saturday through to the next Sunday, so you will have plenty of time to help you prepare and post. Of course all your efforts will have to be documented with pictures of at least the final product along with a short tutorial.

The real fun will be getting to see what other fellow members come up with across the world. Come on out and join us. You have to eat, so you might as well show us how you cook.

Dates: Starts Saturday June 10th, Ends Sunday June 18th. That's two whole weekends (and the week between them).

If you want in, just say "I'm cookin'!!!".

Special thanks for the theme this month goes to @DoctorShavegood

I'll be grillin'... and maybe smokin' as well. I do know that I will be out of town the first weekend of the cookout and not cooking or available. Camping season is upon us!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was going to say I would grill up that rack of lamb in my freezer, then I remembered I haven't bought a new grill yet.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'll try and be in, weather depending.

I was going to say I would grill up that rack of lamb in my freezer, then I remembered I haven't bought a new grill yet.

Sort it out Owen!
When are you getting a new grill and what do one are you looking to get.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm taking avantage of the window of opportunity and are cooking today for posting later.
Winter has just started and rain is what we do here, so as today is a nice winters day I do it now.
Just a few hours of light left in the day so will be finishing up in the dark.

The tourch has been lit in NZ, let the games begin.

DSC_0002_01.JPG

I'm smokin ... Really have a hankering for a brisket, so that's in my sights. I just did two butts last weekend.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm taking avantage of the window of opportunity and are cooking today for posting later.
Winter has just started and rain is what we do here, so as today is a nice winters day I do it now.

Nah, nah, you've got to show us something.

Early, late... doesn't matter here, we are all pretty open and lenient with the "rules" on all this. :D

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nah, nah, you've got to show us something.

Early, late... doesn't matter here, we are all pretty open and lenient with the "rules" on all this. :D

I cooked it yesterday but ended up getting takeaways as it was late.

OK this is how it started, more photos of the finished item to follow soon as I'm about to make a late lunch / early dinner.

Lamb square cut shoulder. I inserted wedges of garlic into slits I made with a knife.
Marinated for six hours with a blend of, garlic crushed, rosemary, salt, pepper, zest of a lemon, Juice of a lemon and some olive oil. I should have cut some slicec into the ,meat for it to get in but she'll be right mate.

DSC_0001.JPG

A few hours in, sorry no photo of when I pulled it off. I blame the whisky. :)
Hope it's not over cooked.........yep whisky.
I find out soon.

DSC_0001_01_01.JPG

I cooked it yesterday but ended up getting takeaways as it was late.

OK this is how it started, more photos of the finished item to follow soon as I'm about to make a late lunch / early dinner.

Lamb square cut shoulder. I inserted wedges of garlic into slits I made with a knife.
Marinated for six hours with a blend of, garlic crushed, rosemary, salt, pepper, zest of a lemon, Juice of a lemon and some olive oil. I should have cut some slicec into the ,meat for it to get in but she'll be right mate.

View attachment 793717

A few hours in, sorry no photo of when I pulled it off. I blame the whisky. :)
Hope it's not over cooked.........yep whisky.
I find out soon.

View attachment 793720
I typically don't like lamb at all, and I'd be willing to give that one a try, it looks that good!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I typically don't like lamb at all, and I'd be willing to give that one a try, it looks that good!

Thanks, it turned out very nice. Unlike many other lamb cuts where medium or rare is best, the shoulder is a well done cut.

So here we go. Not the nicest looking thing. Cooked for 6 hours with manuka for the smoke.
Reheated in the oven wrapped in tin foil.

DSC_0001_02.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Sammie has my home made jalapeno relish, coleslaw, beatroot, lamb (of coarse), poched egg yoke, hot sauce, salt & pepper.

DSC_0017.JPG

As it's winter I picked a Stout to wash it down. Cereal Milk Stout by Garage Project here in Wellington.
It was very nice.

This is not a tidy meal but taste trumped looks today. :)

DSC_0020_01.JPG

I'm off to camping in OH, so after I'm back I'll do something other than just burgers on the grill. That being said, I did some burgers Monday night and my charcoal game has gotten a ton better than it was the last time I tried using a charcoal grill. lol

Top Bottom