What's new

June 2017 Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Smokin' & Grillin'

So, slapped down some burgers and some chicken to get the rest of the week's dinners all set.

IMG_20170614_180310.jpg

Nice Dustin. You can freeze some of it for later. Pull it out, make a meal and you are the champion chef for the week.
Yeah, I won't even have to freeze any. That's lunch and dinners for the wife and I (with some sides or other variants tossed in, plus some additional full meals already stashed in the fridge) to last us to like Saturday afternoon or so.

I have a friend coming over for dinner Saturday evening, I'm thinking something special and unique on the grill for that night... stay tuned for that update, probably Sunday sometime.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yeah, I won't even have to freeze any. That's lunch and dinners for the wife and I (with some sides or other variants tossed in, plus some additional full meals already stashed in the fridge) to last us to like Saturday afternoon or so.

I have a friend coming over for dinner Saturday evening, I'm thinking something special and unique on the grill for that night... stay tuned for that update, probably Sunday sometime.

A dinner party? Better clean the toilets and vaccuum the window sills. As for something unique?? We'll be watching.

A dinner party? Better clean the toilets and vaccuum the window sills. As for something unique?? We'll be watching.
Not exactly a dinner party. Just my best friend coming over to relax and get some downtime. He's spending his weekend working on getting his new house ready to move into, as well as moving stuff. I know that's some tiring work, so I'm making food and providing a place for downtime in the middle of his stress. :)

Get you a decent sized Weber kettle so you have some room to move the food a bit away from the heat for smoking/indirect heat. If they have Weber brand there.

Shop Weber Original Kettle 22-in Black Porcelain-Enameled Kettle Charcoal Grill at Lowes.com{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=e2206751-a73b-464c-866c-549312280690

Went shopping today and came home with a few odds and ends... where to start...
Still need to get a new lawn mower, tomorrow's order of business.

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not exactly a dinner party. Just my best friend coming over to relax and get some downtime. He's spending his weekend working on getting his new house ready to move into, as well as moving stuff. I know that's some tiring work, so I'm making food and providing a place for downtime in the middle of his stress. :)
Rack of lamb- cut them up into meatsicles and grill them up.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Went shopping today and came home with a few odds and ends... where to start...
Still need to get a new lawn mower, tomorrow's order of business.

dave

Oh my. I looked at the different models of Weber grills when I was in town a couple of days ago...I liked the ash catcher on the model that you got.

I have a little Sunbeam kettle, table top type, that has that type of ash catcher an I like it.

I think you scored a home run on that one.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
lol I'll pass on that. Never managed to develop a taste for lamb in any way.

Yeah, Dad had some sheep for awhile when I was a kid and didn't care for it. We didn't eat mutton for very long.

I guess it is the way you are raised. Beef, pork, chicken for me.

My aunt and uncle came over when I was up at mom's house a couple of weeks ago (uncle has a ranch) and they said they have about a half a freezer full of mountain oysters from working cattle this spring.

I can send you some if you want, Dustin. :biggrin1:

So I promised something a bit special to finish off my cookout theme, here ya go. Idea taken from a post in a thread in the Mess Hall a while back. The original was beer can bacon burgers. I scaled back on the size and used a mini soda can. The original called for 1/2 pound of burger per. That was way too large for us, so I did 1/3 pound. Still a hefty sized sandwich.

IMG_20170617_161911.jpg

I did two different types. 3 are teriyaki glaze with extra sharp white cheddar, 3 are BBQ sauce with colby jack. You can honestly put whatever you want in the pocket though... chili, grilled onions/peppers/mushrooms.. heck, my next go around, I was thinking some steak sauce and a raw egg, let it soft cook in the pocket.

IMG_20170617_180920.jpg

Indirect cooking on the charcoal. I tossed in a small handful of mesquite wood chips as well.

IMG_20170617_183654.jpg

Teriyaki glazed and grilled pineapple slices, and some chipotle/paprika seasoned broccoli as a side.

IMG_20170617_183724_hdr.jpg

Final plate, done up all Summer picnic style. Seemed more appropriate than any sort of fancy plate. lol

IMG_20170617_193203.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170617_161911.jpg
    IMG_20170617_161911.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Very nice there Dustin. I seemed to recall a beer bottle sausage sandwich too. Perfect meal for Father's Day. Maybe the timing on the cookout theme was just right.

I put on a pork shoulder this morning. I'm thinking pulled pork tacos tonight.

image.jpeg

Still needs time on the smoker.

Oh my. I looked at the different models of Weber grills when I was in town a couple of days ago...I liked the ash catcher on the model that you got.

I have a little Sunbeam kettle, table top type, that has that type of ash catcher an I like it.

I think you scored a home run on that one.

Lots of choices to pick from, this is the mid level version, has the ash can which made a lot of sense and a thermometer not found on the cheapest version. The one above mine has a few more bells and whistles but none that would warrant the extra money in my world.

Dave, you are up to something smokey.

...and the guitar in the background needs playing.

So far only the guitar is smoking... i did pick up a few Weber cookbooks from the library yesterday to help sort out the basics. I've never had a charcoal grill before. I remember as a kid we had charcoal and what a pain it seemed to be to get it lit and cooking. That was replaced with a natural gas grill and my memories of that are far clearer.

Penciled in a full chicken, spatchcocked or halved as the initial Weber effort for next weekend.

dave

So far only the guitar is smoking... i did pick up a few Weber cookbooks from the library yesterday to help sort out the basics. I've never had a charcoal grill before. I remember as a kid we had charcoal and what a pain it seemed to be to get it lit and cooking. That was replaced with a natural gas grill and my memories of that are far clearer.

Penciled in a full chicken, spatchcocked or halved as the initial Weber effort for next weekend.

dave
Chimney charcoal starter is your best friend. It takes pretty much all the hassle you remember from lump charcoal out of the process.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Pulled pork. Made with a $12 pork butt. We made simple tacos tonight with corn tortillas, cilantro, hot sauce and lime juice.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Another attempt at planking fish. This time i cut the board up so i only needed one burner, this kept the over all temp at 350F. Put the wood on as soon as i lit the grill and it was smoking at about 12 minutes. The top surface of the boards were ~600F. Used the same boards as last week and i'm not sure that was a good idea, fish had an acrid smoky taste but then my sense of taste is a bit funky at the moment.

So Maple Planked Red Snapper Tacos. Cabbage/carrot slaw with Sriracha Mayo, guacamole, salsa, radishes, cherry tomatoes, cilantro & Valentina Extra Hot.

The rub/paste for the fish was salt and pepper, ground cumin, minced fresh garlic, white of a scallion and lime zest. plus paprika...
dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom