What's new

July 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. Normally I travel with my Blackland Vector, but the Henson is proving to be a reasonable alternative.

5252F015-B731-4DA2-B184-0ED061F9045A.jpeg

Day 27...Still GRUME-er-ing...:letterk1:
Day 4 of International/Universal Shark Week

Prestigious Scientific Journals are pleading with the author (me) to be the first to publish the most astounding and world changing news concerning Carcharodon carcharias, The Great White Shark.

I have been offered multiple grants, bribes, PhDs and other unmentionable "gifts" that I shall not bother dear reader with at this time.
After much contemplation, I have decided to share the latest research here, on the esteemed, prestigious pages of B&B.
So,...Without further ado, I present my scientific backed research and conclusive findings to our discerning readers...........

It is common (and scientific) knowledge that Carcharodon carcharias has a keen sense of smell.
NOW, for the time ever, are you ready for this, we know beyond a shadow of doubt THE GREATEST SHARK REPELLANT IN THE UNIVERSE!
Here it is..................

LIME!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats It!!!!

Lime has deterred ALL sharks during extensive controlled experiments. In fact, it turns off their hunting and eating instincts IMMEDIATELY! Now, we can have pet sharks as swimming companions!

During the first three days of this annual shark festival, I have experienced high anxiety, humility and arctic cold adventures. Now, I have the universal solution!

At great personal risk, but with remarkable confidence, I boldly chose a Fatip SLANT (Guillotine action) razor and fresh Shark blade for this remarkable endeavor. I was unconcerned about the multitude of sharks in my midst because I had the first PROVEN DETERRENT ...LIME. Sharks were coming up to me with BIG smiles and gleaming white teeth. I just smiled in return!

Your humble Sharkologist,

Good Day! :letterk1:

PXL_20220727_145332920.jpg

SOTD #25

Really liking this razor. Very budget friendly and has thus far provided a great result on the milder side.
This being my first TTO, I can see why so many appreciate them...
  • No Pre-Shave
  • Truefitt and Hill 1805 (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Duke 3 - Best
  • Wilkinson Sword TTO - Weishi 9306-p
  • Wilkinson Sword (3)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • B&M Seville Splash
  • Nivea Cooling Post Shave Balm
IMG_7840.JPG

Still in. BBS today.

Digging out soaps I haven’t used in years is proving rewarding. Mike’s Barbershop produced a great lather with outstanding post-shave feel. I don’t remember it being this outstanding when I purchased the soap.

Also, I haven’t used a Feather blade for a week or so and was amazed once gain at how effortlessly it mowed down 3 days growth with no hesitation or irritation.

The moral of the story for me is, technique is the key to shaving bliss. Years down the road, I see it was my fault and not the fault of the products I was using that I wasn’t getting quality shaves. This GRUME is responsible for the awakening.

• Pre-shave: Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-shave Oil
  • Brush: Simpson Colonel Best Badger
  • Soap: Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop
  • Razor: Merkur Progress (4 pass, 5-3-3-1)
  • Blade: Feather (2)
  • Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Still in. BBS today.

<SNIP>

The moral of the story for me is, technique is the key to shaving bliss. Years down the road, I see it was my fault and not the fault of the products I was using that I wasn’t getting quality shaves. This GRUME is responsible for the awakening.

• Pre-shave: Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-shave Oil
  • Brush: Simpson Colonel Best Badger
  • Soap: Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop
  • Razor: Merkur Progress (4 pass, 5-3-3-1)
  • Blade: Feather (2)
  • Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Yeah, that's a lesson I learned a little too late. I've come back to razors I had sold, traded, or stored away only to find my shaves are now much better than I remembered. It wasn't the razor, blade, soap, or brush that was the problem; it was me! Had I just exercised a bit more patience I would have been just fine with the RR GC 84-P (one of the first razors I "had to have" but got rid of soon after acquisition), Astra SPs, Arko (the $12 twelve-pack), and any brush except my first synthetic or my first badger. Live and learn...

Yeah, that's a lesson I learned a little too late. I've come back to razors I had sold, traded, or stored away only to find my shaves are now much better than I remembered. It wasn't the razor, blade, soap, or brush that was the problem; it was me! Had I just exercised a bit more patience I would have been just fine with the RR GC 84-P (one of the first razors I "had to have" but got rid of soon after acquisition), Astra SPs, Arko (the $12 twelve-pack), and any brush except my first synthetic or my first badger. Live and learn...
Live and learn is right. I currently have 11 soaps/creams that I will GRUME down to 4. I like what I am doing now by using a soap of the week. That will give me a month of variety. I plan on trying new blades from time to time and rotating new soaps into the 4, but no more stockpiling things I don’t use for years.

Still in up to my cheekbones.

The Shark has been treating me much better since I switched to the 1958 SuperSpeed.
Here’s my report:
Day 4 of Shark week, and I have run out of material 🤣.

The Super Stainless Shark seems a bit rough and dull. I can detect small flaws in the metal with the naked eye. It is also a bit thinner than what I am used to. Running it through my Twinplex stropper may help, or it may further chip the blade. I’ll wait until it needs more help.

Gillette Superspeed, 1958 TV Special is working well. I noticed the gap was a little uneven, and the quickest fix was to pry one side up. It is much better, and opens and closes more evenly now. A DFS+.

Blood. I knocked the top off a new blemish on my throat. But I consider it incidental, I could have done the same thing scratching it with my fingernail. Anyway, that’s my story (and I’m sticking to it).

The August thread is up:

20220727_163742-01.jpeg

I received some PIF items last week (I didn't ask or entered into the PiF, it was just a generous gift) and there are two pending parcels out for delivery... but the associated payments were made in good time back in June... Associated membership didn't work out for me. You're either in or out, I guess 🤪
However, I'm happy to be in... ! ...still in!

Happy shaves!

Date​
28.07.2022 Shark week​
Main Focus:28/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
206/209 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
5/7 Days in Shark Week
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash
Cream:Lavanda
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Unbranded synthetic travel brush
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Nickel with gold Gentile baseplate
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (6)
Rating:9.0/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

By this point I am going to Excalibur this blade. A 6th run with the Shark and still performing well. Initial toughness on the first strokes was there, but it smoothed out quite quickly. Lavanda is a bonus because it provides significant glide and smells nice too. It has officially been mrs-certified as well so I can stock up! 😇😈.

A no trouble, easy shave. The Piccolo not only tamed the Tiger (Platinum), but also tamed the shark - for now at least. I am even considering getting a pack of 100. I have blades left so first see if it performs consistently.

Top Bottom