What's new

JORIS DE Tour Thread

I have had two more shaves with the Joris. This is a nice razor! Not only is it a good looker, but it also performs!

Saturday's shave was quick one. I grabbed the Speick cream at did a 7 minute shower, face and head shave. I was a little hesitant, second shave with a new razor, and no mirror in the shower. Worry for naught though, great dfs, man I really appreciated the feel/feedback I got through my hand. And I have to give ups to the Speick cream, just rubbed it on a wet face and head, and shaved away, no nicks/cuts/weepers, just one little spot felt tender.

Sunday I had a nice shave before church. This week I am using the Palmolive stick. This is a really nice smooth and efficient razor. It can mow down the stubble easily, and quickly as Saturday's shave showed, but not feel harsh.

Skipped today(didn't have time), but plan on trying an Astra Stainless in it tomorrow, and the giving the Muhle a couple days before I bid adieu to the Joris and its box.

I had another shave with the Joris last night. I loaded up a Spoiler, still saw the same issue of central blade depression and blade corner lifting. Lathered up the Speick with an RV 2 band Finest Butterbee. The tricky area under the nose on first pass I could feel the corner of the blade trying to dig in and cut my skin. Finished the second pass with the same blade chucked up in my trusty Aristocrat Jr. I like the Joris head for the most part, I am partial to open combs because of my coarse beard that lies flat to the skin in many places. The blade issue is a deal killer for me unfortunately. I like the weight and grip of the Joris handle but feel it is too long for my daily use. It is a very efficient razor, and if it weren't for the blade alignment and undesirable buckling issue I would own one without hesitation. I am not willing to buy multiples in hopes find a head that doesn't buckle the blade. I can drop a blade in my trusty short comb New blindfolded and know it will be dead nuts.

I mocked up a blade in the FaTip today just to look and see if the issue was evident there as well. It was, but instead of both blade corners being higher only one corner per side was flared upward as seen by sighting down the blade edge. I will give the FaTip a shave tomorrow, likely with my BRW handle as I feel it would improve the FaTip experience, and then the tour continues to the next member after the razors are given a Marvicide treatment.

Thank you so much for including me in this awesome package tour!

Had my first shave with the Muhle today. As far as I can tell the heads of these two razors are identical, so any difference I feel in the shave must be down to the handle and weight differences. Used the same soap, and blade as I had with the Joris yesterday, so I could get a close comparison. I would say that on the face I did not find any difference in the shave quality, both razors are smooth and efficient . The longer handle of the Joris made for a easier shave on the head though, I found it took just a little bit longer today. The Muhle also makes a more raspy sound as it cuts the hairs, which I liked.

I will run one more shave from the Muhle, and get it boxed up tomorrow, and on its way. In conclusion of my stop on the tour I would say that I am a fan of the head. It is nowhere near as aggressive as I had thought it would be. I had heard that it was as snarly as a wolf. In contrast I would say that even though it is efficient, it is a very forgiving razor. I like it a little better than my Goodwill, though I will use the Goodwill to finish up the week, and compare.

The Joris is just stunning! The plating, the handle, and the presentation have me thinking that I may need to sell of some razors to get this one.

I am now in possession of two fine razors and a treasure trove of shaving paraphenralia that I would need a month to try out. Don't worry, I won't keep the razors for a month. I had an amazing shave with the Joris. Next week the box is heading to VA (Kingfisher).

Fatip test-drive this weekend!

PM was sent to Sluggo days ago, still awaiting his reply so I can get an address and ship this out.

OK, so no response from Sluggo or texbilly, so I took it upon myself to send this off to the next member in line- LittleLebowski. Perhaps he can send this to Sluggo if we hear from him, hope everyone is doing well and healthy. It will leave on Tuesday due to Monday holiday.

OK, so no response from Sluggo or texbilly, so I took it upon myself to send this off to the next member in line- LittleLebowski. Perhaps he can send this to Sluggo if we hear from him, hope everyone is doing well and healthy. It will leave on Tuesday due to Monday holiday.

I didn't know that texbilly was also MIA. I can call him and make sure everything is ok.

It's been some time since I've paid a visit to this thread. Glad to hear that others have had a great experience with the Joris. I still remember that great shave!

I'm a bit concerned that we haven't heard from texbilly, especially since my last conversation with him thru PM seemed to indicate how excited he was about the tour in general.

Shaun, if you can reach him that would be great, and report back so we know all is well.

I sent Bill a text message, as soon as I hear back from him I'll update this thread, unless he updates it himself.

Hi Guys! I am in fact alive and well and appreciate the "texbilly search party". :wink2: I will catch up to the thread and all PMs as quickly as possible and appreciate the great teamwork of you members while you push the gear along it's route.

Thanks B&B!!

Last edited:
I received the package of goodies in yesterday's mail. Interesting collection of shaving stuff, scents, aftershaves, an assortment of blades, etc.

And, of course, the vaunted Joris razor.

First off, this is just an absolutely gorgeous razor. I showed it to my wife and even she was impressed.
I lathered up with Mystic Waters lime shave soap, then loaded up the Joris with a day 1 SuperMax Super Platinum and gave it a spin. Given its reputation as an aggressive, face-eating monster, I approached the shave (at least initially) with much caution.

After about two swipes with this smooth beast on my cheeks, I threw caution to the wind and shaved with abandon. Nice, smooth, comfortable shave. As others have mentioned, the handle is long. I haven't yet decided if that's a good or a bad thing. It seems neutral to me so far.

The only place I had trouble with was the philtrum (the narrow area between the nose and the center of the upper lip. The technique I use there with my vintage Gillettes is not going to work with the Joris. I got a tiny little nick there that didn't really bleed. I could feel it, though. I'm gonna have to figure out a different way of getting this area shaved.

Aside from that, though, this razor provided a very nice, smooth, comfortable shave that wasn't difficult at all. Really nice razor.

I'll post some more thoughts after I've had a chance to shave with it a couple more times.

Second shave with the Joris this morning. Lathered up some Musgo Real that I found in the box.

Two passes plus touch-ups to DFS.

Really liking this razor. Not sure why people think it is a monster. Sure, a lot of the razor blade shows out the sides of the top cap, but it is smooth and comfortable for me. The long handle is growing on me. The razor is very well balanced. Not a scary razor at all, as far as I'm concerned.

by the way, what is the idea with all the goodies in the box? A chance to try a few things....I get that part. Is it OK to keep something? I'm obviously going to put new stuff into the box when it leaves. Would it be wrong to take a 5-pack of blades, for example? I'd replace them with a different 5-pack. Or is that not kosher? Whoever started this thing, please let me know. Thanks.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I may have suggested adding a couple blades as it went past - unless someone else feels violently opposed, I trust swapping stuff out is the idea actually - that has been my understanding on the pass-arounds I've been lucky enough to be in on. Put a sample of something somebody else might want to try, take a sample for yourself.

Just my own two cents, if I took one blade I hadn't tried I'd replace with one of either stellar quality or one of the rare birds. Probably less than gentlemanly on the other hand to swap out a full tuck of Swedes for some Dorco's ..

I may have suggested adding a couple blades as it went past - unless someone else feels violently opposed, I trust swapping stuff out is the idea actually - that has been my understanding on the pass-arounds I've been lucky enough to be in on. Put a sample of something somebody else might want to try, take a sample for yourself.

Just my own two cents, if I took one blade I hadn't tried I'd replace with one of either stellar quality or one of the rare birds. Probably less than gentlemanly on the other hand to swap out a full tuck of Swedes for some Dorco's ..
Obviously I wouldn't try to swap out great stuff with stuff I despise.......Just wondering whether swapping approximately equal quality/reputation blades would be OK, so I can try some blades I've never tried and somebody else can try some good blades, too. Thanks for your response.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Obviously I wouldn't try to swap out great stuff with stuff I despise.......Just wondering whether swapping approximately equal quality/reputation blades would be OK, so I can try some blades I've never tried and somebody else can try some good blades, too. Thanks for your response.

Sometimes what others find great you despise, hence the YMMV mantra, and that is what is great about this and other pass-arounds. Sometimes just a whiff of a shaving product makes you fall over, either with love or nausea. Apologies to the Dorco's who are on the march due to any aspersions. I'd still limit the take to a single sample as opposed to all that's in the box, even if I could replace with SuperUnobtainiums,

Sometimes what others find great you despise, hence the YMMV mantra, and that is what is great about this and other pass-arounds. Sometimes just a whiff of a shaving product makes you fall over, either with love or nausea. Apologies to the Dorco's who are on the march due to any aspersions. I'd still limit the take to a single sample as opposed to all that's in the box, even if I could replace with SuperUnobtainiums,
Of course. Not trying to take advantage of anybody here.

Of course. Not trying to take advantage of anybody here.

The Joris Tour is not mine, but when I followed Bill's lead with the Cobra Tour my intent was to put things in the box for people to try and/or swap with an item of their own. If everyone just keeps adding what the heck is Bill going to do with it all?! :w00t:

Third shave with the Joris this morning, with a day 3 SuperMax Superplatinum and Mystic Waters Sandalwood Rose shaving soap.

Another really nice, smooth, comfortable shave today. I really like the head geometry of this razor, and the balance is superb. It is very easy to find the right shaving angle and the razor is very efficient without feeling "dangerous" in the least. No cuts, no bites, no weepers, no burn.

Major problem came after the shave when I opened the razor to take out the blade. The blade was COVERED in rust. The inside of the razor was covered in rust. I have never had a SuperMax rust like that, and I always use them for three shaves. Granted, I use TTO razors a lot, and I loosen the doors so air circulates around the blade between shaves, but I also use a Gillette NEW and when I use that I always leave the razor locked down tight, and I have never had this rusting problem before.

the only other problem I have with the Joris is it is really hard for me to shave between my nose and my mouth. Harder than with any other razor I've tried, and I'm not sure why, nor can I think of an easy solution to the problem.

To me, the rusting issue and the problem shaving the mustache area are deal breakers. Otherwise, I really like the razor and would've considered dropping the coin required to purchase one.

Tomorrow I'll give the Fatip a try.

Hey guys, I got it this past weekend. So far, it's very nice but a touch mild after my R41. I tried a blade that came with it and have gotten three BBSs with no cuts. The soap that came with it is outstanding. I'll be trying another blade tomorrow. I plan to ship it out this weekend or probably Monday. Who is next?

Top Bottom