What's new

JORIS DE Tour Thread

I think my face is in "aggressive shock" after two shaves with the cobra and one with the joris. These are both beautiful razors, but they may have too much bite for me on a day to day basis.

The package is being boxed up tonight and will be sent to Chester on Thursday. Thanks Bong for the trial, but I don't think either one of these razors is on my wish list.

Received the box from Nando today. I hadn't shaved yet so I was able to take advantage of some the goodies right away. You guys are just exceptionally generous. Some fantastic stuff in there. I won't spoil it completely and list out what's included but I got to try out some products I've always wanted to try but just never got around to it.

I had my first shave with the Joris and was very surprised how comfortable it was to hold. This was my greatest concern with any Joris. I'm not a fan of long handles, or heavy razors. The handle didn't feel too long, or heavy. No issues with grip also which I expected due to it being completely smooth. I used a Super Iridium and AoS Lavender Soap and then finished off with some Castle Forbes 1445 Balm. Overall it was a fantastic shave. Not as aggressive as I expected. Perhaps the choice of blade had something to do with it but it was a very smooth shave. I look forward to using it again tomorrow. :001_smile

Den, glad you got the box and had a great first shave!

I too was concerned about handle length, as I got into DE with a 34C and always use that as my standard of measure. I think what makes this particular Joris easy for me is the curve to the handle -- your hand will find the exact right radius.

Hiho!

Well, the box just showed up today.

I'm kind of giddy about this. There's a nice assortment of blades, but I'll throw in some spoilers and GPPs just to share the goodness.

There are 2 razors in here -- the Joris (beautiful!) and another, shorter, gunmetal-finish razor. What's the short one? Someone must have mentioned it, but I probably missed it.

Anyhow, there are a couple Creed samples that caught my eye. I'm looking forward to dabbing on a bit of that, for sure.

There's also this puck of Joris soap, which smells fantastic. It hasn't been wetted, as near as I can tell. As much as I'd like to try it, I'm afraid to be the first one.

Anyhow, it's a lovely box. I'll give the Joris three shaves, and will pack it up and send it on.

-- Chet

I shipped the box I had in my possession today to the next member on the list - garyg.

It was great to get the opportunity to try out both razors and other goodies I never got around to purchasing. I can only imagine what will be included by the time it passes through a few more members. :thumbup1:

My impressions of the razors are the Joris wins hands down. Forget looks, because that's a no brainer, but performance-wise it was definitely much smoother. Still a little too aggressive for me to use daily, but I can get away with a couple of days in a row before irritation starts to set in. The Fatip on the other hand I found to give a much rougher shave. I felt like I was going to nick myself with almost every pass using the same blade I used in the Joris. With more time and assortment of blades, maybe I would've eventually landed on that magic combination. :001_smile

You guys coming up are in for a real treat!

Great review, Denis! Matches my impressions as well.

That box is definitely full of magic, isn't it? Gary, you are in for a treat!

Well, first shave with the Joris, and the results are excellent. BBS shave (which is rare for me) in 2 passes, using a vintage Gillette Platinum Plus blade.

Not easy passes, mind you. The slick handle demands that you have -=zero=- soap on your fingers to flip from one side to the other. I fumbled with it a little bit, but without dropping it.

The handle length is good, and it wasn't hard for me to find comfortable balance with the head. The machining and finishing are great. The length of the screw from cap to handle is nice and long, which helps with the balance and tightness at the place between cap and plate.

I'm a little bit amazed by the uniqueness of the thing (as I simply expected a longer-handled version of a normal Hoffritz open-comb), because the touch requires a bit more finesse. You need to be a bit careful, but there are rewards. The audible feedback is pretty good, and has a low timbre that you can feel in the handle, amazingly enough (see tightness, above).

My impressions are very very good at this point. It was a very positive experience, and I'm glad that this rotation got started.

Cheers,
-- Chet

Well, I've had 2 shaves with the Joris and the second was not as good. I can tell that I still need to refine the technique a little bit, as I got a teensy bit of irritation around the neck. Sides of the face are very smooth, though. I'm going to wait a couple days for the red to go away and take it up again.
-- Chet

I'm going to wait a couple days for the red to go away and take it up again.

Well, I got back on the Joris wagon again and the result was better than last time. I can tell that my problems from a couple days ago were due to not having quite the right angle. I used a much shallower angle today and the results were very good. Not as great as the first time, but still pretty impressive... somewhere in-between a CCS and a DFS. I'm coming up on the weekend, and I may take the Joris out one more time before cleaning it and sending it on, but I'm interested in the other unknown gunmetal razor that was also in the box -- thinking about giving it a test-run, too.

Can someone please tell me what this other razor is?

Anyhow, I'm getting closer to my final impressions, but I can already tell that the Joris is not on my wish-list any more. The handle is too slippery, and it's bulbous quality is not very comfortable in my hand. I'm still fiddling with it too much. It looks great (workmanship and finish are superlative), and I can tell that with some practice I could probably get reliably good shaves from it, but there's just too much effort involved, here.

So that's where things stand. It's been very interesting, to say the least.
-- Chet

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Can someone please tell me what this other razor is?

-- Chet

Just checking in to advise that the "other razor" is supposed to be a Muhle FaTip R41 - I'm awaiting the twin box here, looks like it cleared Customs!

chester, have you tried the fatip yet.?

No. The head is very similar to another couple razors I have, so I let it be. The Joris was the one I really wanted to try anyway.

In the interest of disclosure, the following:
- I was not able to get out of the office on Tuesday to send the box. It went out yesterday, priority mail.
- I took one of the Creed samples out of the box. Hopefully that doesn't make me a bad guy.
- I added 10 Gillette Platinum Plus blades and 10 Spoilers. Enjoy!
- I did not try the Joris soap, even though I was tempted to. Someone else will have that enjoyment.

It was a great box to receive, and I'm thankful for the chance to try the Joris.
Cheers,
-- Chet

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Box #2 is on its way to Brian in PA as of today. I sniffed at a bunch of the software but didn't use any. Added some Personna Meds & some Super Iridiums, as well as a tuck of 7 O'Clocks and a couple TOBS/Trumpers samples.

Like Chet, I have a Fattip, so concentrated on using the Joris. I got 6 great shaves in the time it was here, very nice shaves, that I didn't find too aggressive.

Thanks once more to Bill and all the guys generous enough to share such rare razors!

:clap::clap:

Top Bottom