What's new

Jealous wife!?

One of the tell tale signs of cheating is improved grooming habits, so of course she's going to be a little insecure and wonder what you're up to. All of a sudden you're more concerned with your appearance and making sure you look and smell nice all the time.

It helps a ton if some of the boxes that come in the mail include something nice for her. When she asks what's in the box and you go "oh, that one's for you" or "here I have something nice for you to try" it goes a long way.

If you get her involved smelling things and asking her opinion it helps too.
Now I'll get the "mmm, you smell nice" instead of the "who are you trying to smell so nice for?"

It will pass with time as well but giving them some additional attention really helps.

My wife is curious. Loves the close shave I get now and how long it lasts. Love the scent of some of my soaps. Has hinted about trying it, but I've not pushed the issue. Have two Lady Gillettes, EJ89 in pink and the rose gold R89, brushes, blades and rose/ almond creams and soaps just sitting there to temp her. Has started using the creams and soaps and likes it.. When she's ready, she'll ask..

I guess my wife had the mentality - if i can't beat'em, join'em. She uses the Lady Gillette (in her favorite color, aqua blue) and women's shave soap from a local artisan. I try to get her to use the brush, but she refuses!

Nope. I get up early to do my thing, take up minimal space, and talk little about the hobby.
In return, I get acceptance plus the occasional compliment or gift.

My wife caresses my face after every shave. If she sees a shaving soap that isn't in the house, and we've got a bit of spare change, she'll pick it up for me.

I shower everyday, shave every day, get a haircut regularly, and try not to dress like Joe ****theRagman.

I wouldn't be with a woman who gave me a hard time about any of that and cannot understand why anyone would.

One of the tell tale signs of cheating is improved grooming habits, so of course she's going to be a little insecure and wonder what you're up to. All of a sudden you're more concerned with your appearance and making sure you look and smell nice all the time.

It helps a ton if some of the boxes that come in the mail include something nice for her. When she asks what's in the box and you go "oh, that one's for you" or "here I have something nice for you to try" it goes a long way.

If you get her involved smelling things and asking her opinion it helps too.
Now I'll get the "mmm, you smell nice" instead of the "who are you trying to smell so nice for?"

It will pass with time as well but giving them some additional attention really helps.

Very wise advice my friend. Everyone would benefit by following it. Unfortunately, I don't have a romantic bone in my body and it will never happen LOL! In fact, if I started buying her stuff it would only make her more suspicious. She made a comment the other day about how nice our bathroom smells now that I've started buying shaving stuff so I think she's coming around :)

My wife says "I'm taking a bath. Mix me up some lavender shaving cream". Truefitt & Hill, Lady Gillette, badger brush and a fresh blade and she's all set.

Just a week after I purchased my very first DE, a gold-colored Weishi 9604, it was clear that I needed something just a bit more aggressive, lest I spend an hour doing a seven- or twenty-pass shave. I bought a Merkur 34G and gifted the Weishi to my fiancee.

Not a month and a half had passed since I bought the gorgeous, gold-plated 34G when I was diagnosed with terminal RAD. I needed a low-key looking travel razor so I bought a Merkur 42C (1904 safety bar). I needed a razor to keep at my parents' house for when I visited them, so I bought a gold-plated FaTip Grande. I ended up liking the way that the 1904 shaved better than the 34G, but I had to have a gold one if it was going to be a home razor, so I looked high and low for a gold-plated 1904 or 1904 lookalike.

By the grace of the razor gods, I found a gorgeous gold razor with a 1904-style handle and ordered it right away. "Another razor!?" fumed the fiancee when the package arrived. "Of course, dear! I'll start shaving with this old, World War II relic, and give you this gorgeous, brand-new, gold-plated Merkur! You deserve it!"

That put a smile on her face, and one of the best vintage razors I've ever found in my den.

I may not be a wife of a DE shaver but just a "person of interest" lol. But I do find it very masculine and somewhat intimidating the amount of the collection acquired by this person. The addiction to razors, soaps, aftershaves and vintage is a little overwhelming at first but I love the Saturdays we spend at flea markets and antique stores together! Plus if ever I hear about a soap or cream I want to try it's likely he has it and will let me test before I buy [emoji4] of course it does mean he ends up sharing.

My fiance is kind of indifferent to my de shaving she was used to me being able to shave in ten min with a cartridge razor as opposed to 30 min+ sometimes with the de but im sure in time she will come to accept my new hobby.... Hopefully

When I first got into DE shaving, it was because I had a bunch of stubble on my head from shaving it bald.

I tried shaving it with an electric razor, but that was pretty much a bust - I still had lengthy stubble. So I went to a cartridge razor, shaved 5 times with it, and put a nick in the back of my head, plus had the painful pulling of a dull cart.

So I told the wife I was going to go to Art of Shaving to look into a straight razor...and then found out I could get a DE for half the price.

The wife kinda balked at the price, but said, "Well, if you have spare money, it's your head..."

I started shaving, got my technique down, and the BBS shaves started coming out.

And then it happened:

"Oooh, that soap you're using smells good! What is it?"

"Almond. Want to try it?"

Next thing I know, she's got my R89 in her hand and is lathering up, and says, "I like this. Can I get one?"

She is now stealing all of my citrus scented soaps and creams, and keeps telling me how smooth a shave she's getting while on the original Derby blade (5 shaves total, 3 on her armpits, 2 on her legs).

She doesn't seem to mind me purchasing shaving supplies, but there had BETTER be something for her ("Did you order me a tub of TOBS Grapefruit with that brush purchase?") or else I don't get the cream/soap I bought for ME...

Thanks for this topic Spur, I have to deal with the same sort of nonsense. Even though my better half participates on some levels in my wet shaving/collecting hobby, she does not like it. She has helped me restore razor sets, and everything else, even tells me which scented soaps/creams she likes, but she both openly, and secretly despises my hobby. I wish I could change her mind, but it seems pointless to try. I think all women who love their men probably feel the same about any hobby of their men that costs money, but it's disposable income. She's afraid the money that goes into the hobby, might be needed somewhere else. But in reality, my income will cover contingencies. Just like earlier this month. The clothes dryer went bad. I went ahead and replaced the set. It set me back nearly a grand. We had the money. I planned for emergencies. Also the air conditioning went on the blink this month. The money for that repair came out of my disposable income. The contingency money was gone, but there was still money for emergencies. And if push came to shove, I can always sell a few razors. It won't come to that, but if it did, I am prepared to do that. But, as any good wife would, she worries. I try to dispel her fears, but I cannot. Will I stop collecting razors? If necessity demanded it I would! I think she does understand that though. If she did not, I would have to stop collecting. So as it stands, I have put a moratorium on purchases for awhile, but I will still continue to follow the hobby.
So yes she is maybe not jealous, but dislikes the hobby for potentially logical reasons, but I continue with the hobby, with gentlemanly stipulations regarding financial boundaries. It's only fair also, that I give her the opportunity to persue a hobby of her choice. And she has various home hobby projects she likes. Such as sewing, quilling, flowers, and such like. So there is balance. But once in a while she lets me know she doesn't like this or that, and we are off again. Such is life.

To ease the domestic tension, you must first get to the root of just why she is so struck with jealousy. Because you give attention to the practice instead of to her? Because of your expenditures on the practice, instead of on her? Because you become more groomed and attractive whilst she has no such new diversion? Come other reason, or combination of reasons?

Top Bottom