What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

I'm definitely not an international man of mystery, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a few times. I'm as plain of a US American as they come. I was raised on milk and white bread bologna sandwiches. Now my goal is to live long enough to retire so I can sit in my garage on a woven nylon folding lawn chair, wearing socks and sandals, and yelling at all the drivers to slow down and for the kids to stay off my lawn.
Now that is what I call living life!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
my goal is to live long enough to retire so I can sit in my garage on a woven nylon folding lawn chair, wearing socks and sandals, and yelling at all the drivers to slow down and for the kids to stay off my lawn.
Now that is what I call living life!

#SquadGoals

IMG_1167.jpeg

I'm definitely on the right track with the SS Mellon and had my best shave yet with it this morning. I said to hell with the neutral angle and small sweet spot and went steeper at the advice of @Cal. This morning I stayed at around 30-35 degrees, which is what I use with the Merkur 15c, and had a much better shave. It felt better going across my face, almost like it was smoother and cut more efficiently. I still wasn't sting-free with the Old Spice, but it was much improved. It was more than I take with the zamak SLOC, but I'm trending in the right direction, and with a few more shaves, I'll get to where I want to be.

Perhaps the SS Mellon knew I was browsing ItalianBarber and looking at the BBS OC. Maybe I'll put it in my cart today to see how the SS Mellon responds tomorrow.

This is also making me think I need to revisit the zamak SLOC with a 30-35 degree angle to see if I can eradicate the last of its stubborn, but mild, aftershave sting.

Prosecutor: Your Honor, and ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the defendant has repeatedly made claims that he won the lottery with his Mrs. and that she has enabled his insanity in his dark descent into the crazies of traditional wet DE shaving. However, he’s never provided one shred of evidence other than his word on the internet. What sort of crazy world do we live in where this is even remotely possible? Mr. Jay, my question for you is where is this evidence? I’ll be damned if you have any.

Me: Well, she just bought me this book yesterday and surprised me with it today.

IMG_2209.jpeg

Prosecutor: Your Honor, in light of new evidence, the prosecution drops all charges and asks if the defendant’s Mrs. has any sisters.

Last edited:
I'm almost there with the SS Mellon and I think putting the RR BBS OC in my cart yesterday really helped. I took the 30-35 degree angle approach this morning and my shave felt nice while I was doing it. I had a little sting from the Old Spice, but it was by far the least amount since I started using the SS Mellon. I think once I finish finetuning my technique with it and my face finishes adjusting and "toughening up" to it, I'll be right where I want to be.

According the IB aggressiveness scale, my razors in order of increasing aggressiveness are:
  1. Merkur 15c
  2. r/EJ89
  3. SLOC
  4. SS Mellon (based on reviews from more experience users than I who have said it is more aggressive than the SLOC)
Therefore, the SS Mellon is the most aggressive razor I've consistently used. I've used the r41 and Rockwell 6c with the R5 and R6 plates occassionally, usually to pretty terrible results with extreme irritation. Also, considering earlier on in my development I would take considerable aftershave sting from the r/EJ89, this shows that I am making very good progress with my technique. This morning I took about the same level of sting as I did last week with the SLOC, so I'm getting there. I'm also getting more life out of the blades as the KCG was on its fifth shave this morning with no signs of any tiredness. Usually, blades would die after three shaves, but this may have been due to too much pressure while the blades dulled while removing my adipose tissue.

The SS Mellon might be a daily driver just yet, but I'm not taking the RR BBS OC out of the cart in case the SS Mellon decides to get smart on me.

I loaded a fresh Astra SP in the SS Mellon this morning. I haven't used that blade in quite a while and I'd forgotten just how nice it is. It really doesn't do anything wrong. I've found that the PPI blades are all quite similar on my face. They have more in common than they do in difference with each other. You can definitely tell they are all from the same family tree.

I took my time this morning to give myself a luxurious shave. I went slow with the prep, slow with the lather, slow with the shaving, slow with the aftershave. I really paid close attention to angles and pressure. I feel like I put down as near to a perfect shave as I have ever yet to date. No nicks, cuts, weepers, or other visible signs of being assaulted by a cold piece of steel. All in all, a very nice DFS.

However, I'm still taking minor sting from the Old Spice. The level of sting along my neck and throat have seem to have stabilized, and is about the same as I take with the zamak SLOC. I suppose this is what it is. Based on the geometry of the razor head, blade exposure, etc., and my face, this level of sting is the norm. I've read all over the place that some level of sting is expected and normal for most men. I guess I got spoiled with the Merkur 15c that was extremely polite on my face and left absolutely no sting unless I did something very, very stupid.

This level of sting I can live with, and the SS Mellon can certainly be a daily driver. I like the way it mows down whiskers and leaves me with a DFS with minimal effort.

I could also use the Merkur 15c as a daily driver. It doesn't shave as close as either of the Mellon/SLOCs/Grand Shave King heads I have, but it also doesn't leave me with any sting.

However, I am really interested in that grail SS razor. I am not really a fan of zamak and I am drawn to SS. Perhaps I need to buy the RR BBS OC, which is more aggressive than the Old Type/Merker 15c and less aggressive than the SLOC. Maybe this could be my grail razor. I'll think about it this weekend.

Maybe I'm just being foolish. The more aggressive razors I have shave me just fine and the aftershave sting isn't offensive. It's probably what many men take every morning, and they're more experienced and skilled with wet DE shaving than I am or will ever be.

Last edited:
I loaded a fresh Astra SP in the SS Mellon this morning. I haven't used that blade in quite a while and I'd forgotten just how nice it is. It really doesn't do anything wrong. I've found that the PPI blades are all quite similar on my face. They have more in common than they do in difference with each other. You can definitely tell they are all from the same family tree.

I took my time this morning to give myself a luxurious shave. I went slow with the prep, slow with the lather, slow with the shaving, slow with the aftershave. I really paid close attention to angles and pressure. I feel like I put down as near to a perfect shave as I have ever yet to date. No nicks, cuts, weepers, or other visible signs of being assaulted by a cold piece of steel. All in all, a very nice DFS.

However, I'm still taking minor sting from the Old Spice. The level of sting along my neck and throat have seem to have stabilized, and is about the same as I take with the zamak SLOC. I suppose this is what it is. Based on the geometry of the razor head, blade exposure, etc., and my face, this level of sting is the norm. I've read all over the place that some level of sting is expected and normal for most men. I guess I got spoiled with the Merkur 15c that was extremely polite on my face and left absolutely no sting unless I did something very, very stupid.

This level of sting I can live with, and the SS Mellon can certainly be a daily driver. I like the way it mows down whiskers and leaves me with a DFS with minimal effort.

I could also use the Merkur 15c as a daily driver. It doesn't shave as close as either of the Mellon/SLOCs/Grand Shave King heads I have, but it also doesn't leave me with any sting.

However, I am really interested in that grail SS razor. I am not really a fan of zamak and I am drawn to SS. Perhaps I need to buy the RR BBS OC, which is more aggressive than the Old Type/Merker 15c and less aggressive than the SLOC. Maybe this could be my grail razor. I'll think about it this weekend.

Maybe I'm just being foolish. The more aggressive razors I have shave me just fine and the aftershave sting isn't offensive. It's probably what many men take every morning, and they're more experienced and skilled with wet DE shaving than I am or will ever be.
Seems like you are getting the hang of the SS Mellon. I like the Astra SP as well. I can get many shaves from them. As far as other SS razors you have the whole range of the RR GC's with both the OC and JAWS for both in .68 and the .84 and then also the Lupo .72 & .95 OC. I have not tried any of those, but they might be worth a look as well, if you are in the market. Lots of choices.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I am really interested in that grail SS razor.

I’ve read great things about the RazoRock Game Changer 0.84P.

I use the JAWS 0.84 from time to time and it’s quite nice. It has more baseplate support than the 0.84P and Wallace and Gromit teeth, but doesn’t share the 0.84P’s fanfare.

Don’t have the OC BBS plate; just the ‘Standard;’ but the BBS is a solid choice. For razors in its general morphology, I like the Mamba 0.53 better, but it was slightly harder to figure out.

Good luck. Remember to overthink, scold yourself, panic a little, and make time to overthink some more.

I’ve read great things about the RazoRock Game Changer 0.84P.

I use the JAWS 0.84 from time to time and it’s quite nice. It has more baseplate support than the 0.84P and Wallace and Gromit teeth, but doesn’t share the 0.84P’s fanfare.

Don’t have the OC BBS plate; just the ‘Standard;’ but the BBS is a solid choice. For razors in its general morphology, I like the Mamba 0.53 better, but it was slightly harder to figure out.

Good luck. Remember to overthink, scold yourself, panic a little, and make time to overthink some more.
So many wonderful toys to choose from!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

Just get a GC84-P, as the GC68-P will leave you wanting just a little more, just like the Merkur 15C.

~doug~

Seems like you are getting the hang of the SS Mellon. I like the Astra SP as well. I can get many shaves from them. As far as other SS razors you have the whole range of the RR GC's with both the OC and JAWS for both in .68 and the .84 and then also the Lupo .72 & .95 OC. I have not tried any of those, but they might be worth a look as well, if you are in the market. Lots of choices.
I'm a little hesitant to invest in more razors that have the cantilever design and its blood cousins with similar safety bars. For whatever reason, the old type that's found in the Merkur 15c, SLOC, Mellon, and BBS seems to be a better match for my face. I think it has to do with my hair on my neck and throat that grows parallel to the skin. The newer types of safety bars just don't work very well.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I had once considered the GC, but see my most above. The cantilever safety bar isn't the right design for my hair growth. I think I need the curvature of the old type.
Ok, you like teeth on your razors, but your experience with a Fatip left something to be desired. Have you tried a Gillette Old Type? The curvature is less on an Old Type with a thick cap than your 15C, but mine is both comfortable and efficient. Get one with a thin cap and beware.
There is always the GC84OC if it is teeth you desire, mine has a special place in my den. Efficient and comfortable, use it with a Gillette Platinum.

~doug~

Ok, you like teeth on your razors, but your experience with a Fatip left something to be desired. Have you tried a Gillette Old Type? The curvature is less on an Old Type with a thick cap than your 15C, but mine is both comfortable and efficient. Get one with a thin cap and beware.
There is always the GC84OC if it is teeth you desire, mine has a special place in my den. Efficient and comfortable, use it with a Gillette Platinum.

~doug~
I haven't tried a Gillette Old type. Only the Merkur. I do have the RR Old Type head sitting in my drawer because it was a thrown-in to get my shopping cart to $60 for free shipping. Also thought it would be a good backup because I don't have much faith in zamak razor heads lasting more than a few years. I may have to try that because some say it's every so slightly more aggressive than the Merkur.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I haven't tried a Gillette Old type. Only the Merkur. I do have the RR Old Type head sitting in my drawer because it was a thrown-in to get my shopping cart to $60 for free shipping. Also thought it would be a good backup because I don't have much faith in zamak razor heads lasting more than a few years. I may have to try that because some say it's every so slightly more aggressive than the Merkur.
I don't have a RR Old Type, but I do have a RR DE1 that is pretty much on par with my 15C, and I have techs with zamak caps that are over 60 years old that still look pristine, have you considered a tech?

~doug~

IMO, Jay, DO NOT get the BBS as it has too much curvature (which automatically gives a shallower shave).

Here are my thoughts in diagrammatic form:
Angles_2023-06-09.jpg

Today was a test lather day in the name of science. I am a member of BOSC after all. My tap water has a slight hardness to it, but it's not too bad. Soap still lathers and soap scum isn't the bane of my existence. There's just enough hardness in the water to make you notice.

Anyway, I decided I would test lather today with distilled water. I only have two soaps on hand: Catie's Bubbles and Van der Hagen.

From my findings, I immediately realized it now takes about half as much water to make a useable lather.

Once the lather is made, I couldn't detect any difference in volume or slickness in the Catie's Bubbles. This may suggest it's actually a fantastic formulation that isn't overly sensitive to water hardness. I like Catie's Bubbles, but with it being vegan, it never makes that glorious lather I see on Youtube. It shaves very nicely, though.

The Van der Hagen surprised me. It also took half as much water to make a lather, but it greatly benefitted from using distilled water. It actually made a quite luxurious thick and slick lather. I think I'll shave with it tomorrow and see how it affects my shaves. I can also buy it locally, so if it works out, I may have to buy another puck or two.

I don't have a RR Old Type, but I do have a RR DE1 that is pretty much on par with my 15C, and I have techs with zamak caps that are over 60 years old that still look pristine, have you considered a tech?

~doug~
I have considered a Tech. Quite honestly, the only thing holding me back is I have a thing about buying from B&S threads and from randos on ebay. I suppose one day I'll have to get over that.

Top Bottom