What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

I'll be interested in your zamac vs SS SLOC thoughts.
My first shaves with a new razor usually go horribly, so don't take today's post too seriously. I'm also not ready to panic and put the razor aside.

But, man, that was a rough shave. I used the same technique as I did with the zamak SLOC and got very different results.

The good news? It shaved me a bit closer than the SLOC. Parts of my face are actually BBS after only two passes without any touchups.

But here's the major takeaways. It may share the Mellon name with the Yaqi zamak Mellon and is the same head as the RR SLOC, and may look very similar to them, but on my face it's a different razor.

• It's more aggressive
  • The sweet spot is considerably smaller. Once you find it, things go well, but if you aren't in it, the razor will either skip or tug, or not cut at all. If you enter skip or tug range, be prepared for irritation. I thought I was using the same technique as I did with the SLOC, but I have considerably more irritation today. I felt it immediately after the shave and before I splashed the Old Spice. I winced even before I splashed the Old Spice because I knew it was going to burn. It didn't burn in that light tingly way that reminds you that you shaved, it was a burn that advertised you done messed up somewhere.
  • Due to the difference in sweet spot, you absolutely cannot cut corners and change your wrist angle along curved edges. You must stick to perfect form and only change your arm angle or you'll cause irritation. The SLOC lets you get away with this lesser technique.
  • I can't really tell any difference in blade feel
My first time with the zamak SLOC was also rough, so I'm not going to worry too much right now. It'll take a few more shaves to figure it out. I'll keep at it this week.

I'm also getting used to the length and weight of the RR 400 brush. At first I didn't like the weight and balance of it, and thought I'd be in the market for a different brush, such as the RR Barber Handle. I'll probably get banned from B&B for saying this, but I took the Barber Pole brush out of my next order's shopping cart.

I need to edit what I previously wrote for clarity:

But here's the major takeaways. It may share the Mellon name with the Yaqi zamak Mellon and is the same head as the RR SLOC, and may look very similar to them, but on my face it's a different razor.

What I meant to say is the Yaqi zamak Mellon and the RR SLOC are the same, but the Yaqi SS Mellon is different despite having the same name.

Shave number two with the SS Mellon went a bit better than yesterday. Parts of my face are BBS after two passes, but I also had considerable sting with the after shave. Maybe less than yesterday, though.

My opinions of the razor are unchanged since yesterday. It’s more aggressive and efficient than the zamak SLOC. It also has a smaller sweet spot. If you miss it, the razor will tell you and it’s a bit difficult to find on your neck.

I can’t imagine using any less pressure because it would feel like the razor would fall off my face. My issues are mainly on my neck, so I believe it may be an angle issue. Once I figure that out, it could be smooth sailing. It took me three shaves with the zamak SLOC to figure things out. Hopefully tomorrow will be the charm.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Don’t know if this will work with the Yaqi stainless Mellon, but I had troubles finding the sweet spot with the RazoRock Mamba 0.53. It’s ostensibly a shallow-angle device, but I couldn’t get it to go. In desperation, I placed its safety bar on my skin and raised the handle until the blade felt like it would shave without kicking at me. It’s still quite shallow, but I couldn’t find the sweet spot starting with the cap on my skin.

And, alternately, the Karve Overlander has adcopy and many fellow shave enthusiasts going on about “it’s like a Christopher Bradley razor, but it needs a steep angle” or something to the effect. Didn’t click with my skin until the cap was on my skin and I moved towards neautral.

Maybe stuff like will help?

Don’t know if this will work with the Yaqi stainless Mellon, but I had troubles finding the sweet spot with the RazoRock Mamba 0.53. It’s ostensibly a shallow-angle device, but I couldn’t get it to go. In desperation, I placed its safety bar on my skin and raised the handle until the blade felt like it would shave without kicking at me. It’s still quite shallow, but I couldn’t find the sweet spot starting with the cap on my skin.

And, alternately, the Karve Overlander has adcopy and many fellow shave enthusiasts going on about “it’s like a Christopher Bradley razor, but it needs a steep angle” or something to the effect. Didn’t click with my skin until the cap was on my skin and I moved towards neautral.

Maybe stuff like will help?
Good advice. I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

The internet cable to my neighborhood was cut yesterday, so I was without connection for most of the day. It even affected cell phones for some reason, and mine was spotty, which explains my relative absence yesterday.

I had a slightly better shave with the SS Mellon this morning. I'm still taking more sting than I like from aftershave, but it's getting a little better every day. I think I'm getting a little better at finding the angle on my neck and throat, but there's not a lot of wiggle room to work with. The aggression and blade exposure of this razor may simply be what's causing this sting and that's how my face will always react to it. I'll keep trying each day to reduce the sting and I'll see how low I can get it repeatedly at the same level to decide if this can be a razor for me. I am enjoying the technical aspect of trying to improve my technique, but I honestly feel that I cannot apply any less pressure and there's not much wiggle room left in the angle. It either cuts smoothly without comb marks or it cuts rough and leaves comb marks. I'm confident in my prep and lathers, but I'll also pay attention to those as well. Maybe there is room for improvement there.

thombrogan

Glad to read your interweb is back in service and sorry to read the steel Mellon is being a finicky brat.

A few possible choices are

1. Keep at it and your subconscious tighten up the angle for you.
2. Put it away from later after you’ve mastered your other whisker removal toys
3. Put it in a chair, hold an electric trimmer in front of it and shout “Is this what you want me to use instead, you little creep?!”
4. Chain it to some cinder blocks and charter a ship over the Mariana Trench…

Glad to read your interweb is back in service and sorry to read the steel Mellon is being a finicky brat.

A few possible choices are

1. Keep at it and your subconscious tighten up the angle for you.
2. Put it away from later after you’ve mastered your other whisker removal toys
3. Put it in a chair, hold an electric trimmer in front of it and shout “Is this what you want me to use instead, you little creep?!”
4. Chain it to some cinder blocks and charter a ship over the Mariana Trench…

My razors always work better when I either threaten to buy new ones or actually buy new ones. My zamak SLOC got straight in line as soon as I ordered the SS Mellon. I think I've saturated by razor collection for now, so maybe I'll modify your suggestion #3. I'll put it in a chair and threaten to buy a new razor. Then I'll guilt trip it with the lecture, "You want to grow up to be a winner, right? Just like your other brother. Don't you want to be like your older brother? I didn't raise no loser. You'll get a football scholarship to Notre Dame or you're out of this house! You're no razor of mine!"

Last edited:
I'll find the right trench to throw it into, but part of my selection process involves whale watching and local cuisine.

After seeking the advice of @Cal regarding the SS Mellon, I think I will try it steeper than I have. I've been shooting for about 45, but I think I'll push it to 30 tomorrow. I run the Merkur 15c at about 30, and that works great, but the zamak SLOC hated that and wanted 45, so that was my baseline for its heavier metal cousin, the SS Mellon. But, since they are different razors on my face, maybe there's no correlation between the cousins in shaving angle.

thombrogan

That you chose to consider a spreadsheet that includes your preferred shave angles per razor instead of using one for a month or two before using another one for a month or two suggests we’ve all done a tremendously successful job of corrupting you (or making you feel secure enough to permit self-corruption).

You mentioned whale watching tours nearby. Are you West Coast or Maritime?

That you chose to consider a spreadsheet that includes your preferred shave angles per razor instead of using one for a month or two before using another one for a month or two suggests we’ve all done a tremendously successful job of corrupting you (or making you feel secure enough to permit self-corruption).

You mentioned whale watching tours nearby. Are you West Coast or Maritime?
Even though I prefer west coast rap, I live on the east coast. I would have to travel to see whales, but that's the fun of it! I would have no problem dropping some K's on a whale watching trip if it involved throwing forsaken razors that failed me into the abyss. Maybe some water aliens can shave themselves.

There’s a strong chance I’m assuming you’re from a different country than me. 🫢

I’m a filthy American de la Estados Unidos. I’m fluent in getting things wrong, autism, and semi-fluent in American English.
I'm definitely not an international man of mystery, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a few times. I'm as plain of a US American as they come. I was raised on milk and white bread bologna sandwiches. Now my goal is to live long enough to retire so I can sit in my garage on a woven nylon folding lawn chair, wearing socks and sandals, and yelling at all the drivers to slow down and for the kids to stay off my lawn.

Top Bottom