What's new

Skin stretching (or....not??..) with a DE rzor

I've been having issues with going ATG on my neck, especially from the adam's apple to the chin. I tried varying ways to stretch my skin, from stretching a lot to a little, ALWAYS making sure the surface was flat. But it always hurt to shave. I could feel as i was shaving through the hair that is was hurting and irritating my skin. Tried different types of lather with my stirling (thick, thin, somewhere in the middle. Always hydraded well, spending a lot of time building the lather on my face, spending a shorter amount) but nothing seemed to be working.

What i tried when i shaved 2 days, and tried again today to confirm, worked!

But the ''issue'' is that i did the exact opposite of stretching the skin.... I lowered my jaw, letting the skin bunch up and not be flat at all, and i felt no pain at all, and i get no post shave irritation. I rarely also got irritation on other parts of my neck, but today i also tried to the opposite of stretching the skin for all parts of my neck, and it was 100% irritation free! (And that's with a quick, airy thin lather, that takes like a minute in total)

Now, am i missing something? Is stretching the skin something for more aggressive razors? I'm using the Karve Overlander in aluminum with an Astra Green. Mild, yet effective razor. And i was also using the R89, which most label as mild/medium aggressive. Same issue

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You are not alone, I do the same and it also works for me. Try stretching the skin the other way - instead of lifting the jaw to stretch the skin, try a downward stretch of the skin below the area which you are shaving. It does not matter what works, or how it works, what matters is that you found what works for you. Ignore any naysayers who tell you that you are doing it wrong 👍

You need to do whatever makes their whiskers stand up. This is different for each person and for different parts of your face. I'm with you, I was trying stretching on parts of my neck and I couldn't get closer, then a thread here said to try slacking the skin a bit and that was it!

One thing to try, before that last pass, feel for the remaining stubble with different ways of stretching and slacking. When does it stand up most? That's the way for you, you're not wrong.

Cheers to good shaves!

Bullfroging… the only way I shave ATG below jawline.

Even neutral gets me in trouble, stretching is no no, tugging and pain no matter the angle or blade.

But I have a low fat defined jawline so that should be one of the reasons why, I guess.

You are not alone, I do the same and it also works for me. Try stretching the skin the other way - instead of lifting the jaw to stretch the skin, try a downward stretch of the skin below the area which you are shaving. It does not matter what works, or how it works, what matters is that you found what works for you. Ignore any naysayers who tell you that you are doing it wrong 👍
Yeah, i've tried stretching the way the hairs lay down, opposite and also to the sides. It kind of feels like the blade is catching the skin, and the blade ''jitters''. Both when i tried doing a long stroke, or quick short strokes.

I've been having issues with going ATG on my neck, especially from the adam's apple to the chin. I tried varying ways to stretch my skin, from stretching a lot to a little, ALWAYS making sure the surface was flat. But it always hurt to shave. I could feel as i was shaving through the hair that is was hurting and irritating my skin. Tried different types of lather with my stirling (thick, thin, somewhere in the middle. Always hydraded well, spending a lot of time building the lather on my face, spending a shorter amount) but nothing seemed to be working.

What i tried when i shaved 2 days, and tried again today to confirm, worked!

But the ''issue'' is that i did the exact opposite of stretching the skin.... I lowered my jaw, letting the skin bunch up and not be flat at all, and i felt no pain at all, and i get no post shave irritation. I rarely also got irritation on other parts of my neck, but today i also tried to the opposite of stretching the skin for all parts of my neck, and it was 100% irritation free! (And that's with a quick, airy thin lather, that takes like a minute in total)

Now, am i missing something? Is stretching the skin something for more aggressive razors? I'm using the Karve Overlander in aluminum with an Astra Green. Mild, yet effective razor. And i was also using the R89, which most label as mild/medium aggressive. Same issue
Agree with some of the other comments - clearly seems like a YMMV type of thing

It kind of feels like the blade is catching the skin, and the blade ''jitters''.

That’s called blade chatter and it’s something I’ve experienced as well as many others here. It happens to me in the places where my whiskers tend to lay flat against the skin and it’s worse when going against the grain.

One thing that helped me was to use razors that clamp down on the blade very close to the cutting edge. I’ve never used an Overlander, but from just looking at pics it appears to be very good in that regard.

Restating what others have said, do what works for you. Any suggestions/tips/etc we find here (or anywhere else) are just that, suggestions on how to improve. There's no "one thing fits all" for the most part. :) If it's getting the results you want, go with it.

You're not alone.
I have been reckless in the past and gone over my Adam's apple as if it was completely flat and slit myself with a feather blade. Not a great feeling. 0/10 feeling. Now, I take my time.

I shave every 2 to 4 days.

Here's my routine at the moment-

HYDRATE. Drink as much water as you can. Before bed, start using a cleanser, exfoliator, toner, serum, and moisturizer (in that order.) Vegan/Vegan-ish based products with indgrediants like Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Vera, Sweet Almond Oil, Grape Seed, Flower extracts (too many to name), and just about anything with "free of sulfates, phthalates, parabens, petrochemicals, mineral oil, silicone and talc; also free of synthetic fragrances, ethoxylate, plastic, GMOs, gluten and filler"

Morning/Day Of-

A gentle exfoliating daily cleanser (Khiel's Facial Fuel Energizing Scrub) followed by some sort of clay mask (FRESH umbrian clay mask, The Outpost Purifying Clay Mask. Also, benonite clay is cheaper, works very well and isn't too hard to find (co ops, whole foods, super supplement stores, health food stores, etc.) I'll leave the mask on for 10-20 minutes while I whip up my shave cream (using Castle Forbes lavender at the moment). Wash it off in a gentle manner. Apply sweet almond oil. Paying special attention to my upper lip, chin and neck. Hop into the shower, take the hotest of hot showers. I wont face the shower head until five minutes in the shower to allow the oil to really soften up my hairs. Followed my facing the shower head for another five minutes. As soon as I finish up in there and get out, I re apply the sweet almond oil or Bevel pre shave oil or another well rated shave oil with decent ingrediants. I keep it on and then apply a extremely hot towel, let it rest against my face until it goes cold. Wet my face again with very hot water followed by my shaving cream. Put on some Swift or Death Cab or some indie play list and go to work.

I have 2.. Mmmm I might have 3 Merkur 34c's, A Parker Varient (Best shaves I have ever recieved but when it comes to my chin, it will murder my weak spots. Way too sharp no matter the blade) and recently gifted a Henson AL-13 (have yet to try it).

Cliffs-

Read. Learn. Experiement. Prep.
As soon as I started to paying attention to what worked/what didn't- my life changed. Shaving became easier.

No rushing.

Right Brush
(Synthetic 24mm is working right now but I am going to buy a silvertip badger brush today)

Blades, Blades, Blades. I want to use my Feathers. I want to use my Astra or Derbys... I can to a degree but I switch blades once I hit my trouble spots or simply grab my spare Murker 34c that I already put a more delicate DE razor on. It's dull... but it doesn't cut me or ruin my skin barrier. I am able to hit my chin in different ways without the irriatation.

Post shave - Cold water splashes, Vegan/verganish toner (first aid beauty's alcohol free hydrating toner with squalane and oats), a light serum (FRESH Tea Elixer and CAUDALÍE SOS hydrating) then a hydrating after shave lotion mixed with a moisturizer. Followed by 30spf sunsceen.

I know you have mentioned a lot of this already but I am trying to help and I am sorry if it sounds like I am talking down to you or anyone in here. Just think a lot traditional shavers and most people in general could be benefit from knowing what is causing the irritation, the right ingrediants and what creams/soaps are more appropritate.

**Sweet almond oil works for me. Grapeseed makes me break out. Jojoba oil.. idk. Seems to work well as a great body moistrizer. Everyones skin is different, so ya,

I'm skinny, and I have a beard. This means that (1) I only shave my neck, and (2) my neck is concave. So this issue is paramount for me.

I agree that stretching is bad in general.

The big key to shaving my neck is this: "holding a swallow" is not just for shaving my Adam's apple. Now, I should point out that I do one 'normal' pass followed by a lot of willy-nilly touch-up, and I don't re-lather for the touch-up. My 'normal' pass isn't WTG tor ATG or XTG or whatever: it's simply "down". Anyway, try my method, but please do adjust it as fits your normal routine.

1. Do a normal pass, whatever that means for you.

2. "Hold a swallow" and do thorough touch-up on the problem areas of your neck.

3. If that still doesn't yield a satisfactory result, then start out by "holding a swallow" and then do touch-up at the same time as you gradually release your "swallow hold".

I think the reason this works is that it changes the contour of my neck without skin stretching. What was initially un-BBS-able because of the curvature of my neck becomes at least DFS-able simply by that change of contour. If I chase BBS too much, of course, I'll still get some irritation; but, with a decently sharp blade, not much chasing is required.

I might stretch my skin at the very end if I really am struggling to chase BBS. But it's almost always either (1) fruitless or (2) a bad idea in the end.

I've been having issues with going ATG on my neck, especially from the adam's apple to the chin. I tried varying ways to stretch my skin, from stretching a lot to a little, ALWAYS making sure the surface was flat.

Very interesting but I am a bit confuse.

I’m also having issues on my neck, skin area under my chin above adam’s apple. Growth is on every direction. It’s where I have to be extra slow and careful. Otherwise irritation worse is cut.

If you lower your jaw, then how can you even access that part at all? I could not see it anymore unless I look up to stretch that part?

Any photo or video I could use as reference?

Very interesting but I am a bit confuse.

I’m also having issues on my neck, skin area under my chin above adam’s apple. Growth is on every direction. It’s where I have to be extra slow and careful. Otherwise irritation worse is cut.

If you lower your jaw, then how can you even access that part at all? I could not see it anymore unless I look up to stretch that part?

Any photo or video I could use as reference?
Don’t lower it to the point it’s hidden. Try to maintain a neutral position or slightly tucked in.

Then roll your tongue towards your throat, when you do this you’ll see your skin below jawline puff a little despite your head being in a neutral relaxed position.

I hope I explained it in a way you can understand.

I never used to stretch when using a DE, until I realized the benefit when I began using straight razors and shavettes.

Now, with a DE, I stretch. On my neck I point my chin up as far as comfortable, and pull my skin taut (down) as I shave south-north. Gets most of my neck BBS, especially right below my chin.

I've given up on BBS around my Adam's apple and along my jaw line. It's not worth an angry neck.

You're not alone.
I have been reckless in the past and gone over my Adam's apple as if it was completely flat and slit myself with a feather blade. Not a great feeling. 0/10 feeling. Now, I take my time.

I shave every 2 to 4 days.

Here's my routine at the moment-

HYDRATE. Drink as much water as you can. Before bed, start using a cleanser, exfoliator, toner, serum, and moisturizer (in that order.) Vegan/Vegan-ish based products with indgrediants like Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Vera, Sweet Almond Oil, Grape Seed, Flower extracts (too many to name), and just about anything with "free of sulfates, phthalates, parabens, petrochemicals, mineral oil, silicone and talc; also free of synthetic fragrances, ethoxylate, plastic, GMOs, gluten and filler"

Morning/Day Of-

A gentle exfoliating daily cleanser (Khiel's Facial Fuel Energizing Scrub) followed by some sort of clay mask (FRESH umbrian clay mask, The Outpost Purifying Clay Mask. Also, benonite clay is cheaper, works very well and isn't too hard to find (co ops, whole foods, super supplement stores, health food stores, etc.) I'll leave the mask on for 10-20 minutes while I whip up my shave cream (using Castle Forbes lavender at the moment). Wash it off in a gentle manner. Apply sweet almond oil. Paying special attention to my upper lip, chin and neck. Hop into the shower, take the hotest of hot showers. I wont face the shower head until five minutes in the shower to allow the oil to really soften up my hairs. Followed my facing the shower head for another five minutes. As soon as I finish up in there and get out, I re apply the sweet almond oil or Bevel pre shave oil or another well rated shave oil with decent ingrediants. I keep it on and then apply a extremely hot towel, let it rest against my face until it goes cold. Wet my face again with very hot water followed by my shaving cream. Put on some Swift or Death Cab or some indie play list and go to work.

I have 2.. Mmmm I might have 3 Merkur 34c's, A Parker Varient (Best shaves I have ever recieved but when it comes to my chin, it will murder my weak spots. Way too sharp no matter the blade) and recently gifted a Henson AL-13 (have yet to try it).

Cliffs-

Read. Learn. Experiement. Prep.
As soon as I started to paying attention to what worked/what didn't- my life changed. Shaving became easier.

No rushing.

Right Brush
(Synthetic 24mm is working right now but I am going to buy a silvertip badger brush today)

Blades, Blades, Blades. I want to use my Feathers. I want to use my Astra or Derbys... I can to a degree but I switch blades once I hit my trouble spots or simply grab my spare Murker 34c that I already put a more delicate DE razor on. It's dull... but it doesn't cut me or ruin my skin barrier. I am able to hit my chin in different ways without the irriatation.

Post shave - Cold water splashes, Vegan/verganish toner (first aid beauty's alcohol free hydrating toner with squalane and oats), a light serum (FRESH Tea Elixer and CAUDALÍE SOS hydrating) then a hydrating after shave lotion mixed with a moisturizer. Followed by 30spf sunsceen.

I know you have mentioned a lot of this already but I am trying to help and I am sorry if it sounds like I am talking down to you or anyone in here. Just think a lot traditional shavers and most people in general could be benefit from knowing what is causing the irritation, the right ingrediants and what creams/soaps are more appropritate.

**Sweet almond oil works for me. Grapeseed makes me break out. Jojoba oil.. idk. Seems to work well as a great body moistrizer. Everyones skin is different, so ya,

All nice suggestions. I try to drink enough water, but what seems to work for me is:

Wet face, apply moisturizer and let it sit for at least 2 mins. Doesn't seem to matter if i do it before or after an shower, by that 2 minute mark, the hairs are as soft as they will ever be. Cold splashes between passes, and also end with a cold water rinse. I then use Proraso Green Aftershave splash, which does contain alcohol, but i use it since it contains Witch Hazel. I let that try while i clean my brush and razor, then apply Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm.

If i get irritation, its on the lower part of my neck where hairs start going in the opposite direction. It didn't seem to matter what i did, i got irritation there. Until i tried a sharper blade.... Currently using Kai blades

Look slightly upward. Then jut your lower jaw outward/upward. Shave that spot.

Now look straight ahead. Shave that spot.

If those two steps didn't help, then try some skin stretching. Press against the side of your neck and push outward, slightly stretching your skin; shave that spot. Press against the other side of your neck and push outward the other way; shave that spot.

Keep your skin wet during this process, or else you may experience irritation.

Top Bottom