What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I think the 0.84OC will be a better teacher now and better shaver later if you benefit from steep angle shaving. Or the Lupo 0.95OC

The JAWS 0.84 should be close enough to the 0.84OC, but only if you like a nice piece of Wensleydale after shaving.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I think the 0.84OC will be a better teacher now and better shaver later if you benefit from steep angle shaving. Or the Lupo 0.95OC

The JAWS 0.84 should be close enough to the 0.84OC, but only if you like a nice piece of Wensleydale after shaving.
My main concern is that the SS Mellon is a bit too aggressive for me, and it's more aggressive than the zamak SLOC. If I am to believe the IB scale, I should get a razor that's at or below the SLOC aggressiveness. The GC 84 OC is a huge jump on the scale from the SLOC.

Jay21

I know you’re only supposed to change one thing at a time, but I felt like getting crazy and changed two!!

First, I put the RR Thin handle on the SS Mellon. I don’t like long, heavy handles. This smaller one made the razor lighter and more nimble, like the Merkur 15c. It was a positive change. The handle is wonderful.

IMG_2219.jpeg

Then, I used distilled water to make a luxurious lather with the Van der Hagen soap. It really was a fantastic, rich, and slick lather.

The good news is the shave was DFS as they have been.

The bad news is I took the same aftershave sting as yesterday.

Either this razor is a touch too aggressive for me, or this level of sting is what every wet shaver usually takes. I need to sort this out and decide if the SS Mellon can be a daily driver.

However, I'm still taking minor sting from the Old Spice. The level of sting along my neck and throat have seem to have stabilized, and is about the same as I take with the zamak SLOC. I suppose this is what it is.
Different alcohol based aftershaves have different percentages of alcohol in the mix. Therefore some will sting (or not) more than others.
The bad news is I took the same aftershave sting as yesterday.

Either this razor is a touch too aggressive for me, or this level of sting is what every wet shaver usually takes. I need to sort this out and decide if the SS Mellon can be a daily driver.
To check how your shave went, and the areas you need to improve your technique on, I'd advise an alum stick (man size [120g])... like this one:
Lea-120g-Alum-applicator.jpg

available HERE.

FOOTNOTE
I don't use mine for that any more, but I do use it on my fingers for skin stretching (on slippery skin) and as an underarm deodorant.

Jay21

Different alcohol based aftershaves have different percentages of alcohol in the mix. Therefore some will sting (or not) more than others.

To check how your shave went, and the areas you need to improve your technique on, I'd advise an alum stick (man size [120g])... like this one:
View attachment 1668655
available HERE.

FOOTNOTE
I don't use mine for that any more, but I do use it on my fingers for skin stretching (on slippery skin) and as an underarm deodorant.
I do have an alum block I use to seal up weepers. I’ll use it more to look for problem areas.

Jay21

I really appreciate all the advice I received thus far from so many fine gents. For now, I'm going to temporarily put the SS Mellon into storage. I have two goals I want accomplish starting Sunday, which is a fine day to start that.

I need to restore some balance back into my shaves, so I'm going to use the Merkur 15c again to help get some of my mojo back.

I'm also going to use a Shark Platinum blade for the first time. I need to get ready for Shark week and I have to see what this blade is all about. If there are any surprises, it's best to learn them now, but I suspect it is a wonderful blade.

Jay21

This morning I had the best shave in weeks. After experimenting around with the SLOC and SS Mellon, I went back to my beloved Merkur 15c. I loaded in a fresh Shark Platinum blade and used Van der Hagen soap with distilled water.

First, I am absolutely amazed at how well the Van der Hagen soap lathers with distilled water. It is seriously very luxurious, creamy, and slick. I'm going to have to buy a few more pucks.

Second, the Shark blade is pretty nice. It is acceptably sharp and mowed down my whiskers just fine. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to determine how smooth it is based on the smallest amount of sting I took with the Old Spice. It was extremely small and was in the areas that were very stingy yesterday. It's probably residual insult from the week of shaving with the SS Mellon. Last night before bed when I put on some balm, my neck stung and tingled for a few minutes to remind me it didn't like the 316 steel and blade being forced across it against its will. Alternatively, it could some roughness in the blade. Tomorrow's shave will have the answer because my face will heal and toughen up between now and then.

Third, the Merkur is a fine shaver, but it definitely doesn't cut as close as the SLOC or SS Mellon. I perform two passes (WTG, XTG). I'll begin experimenting in the future with adding a third ATG pass with the Merkur.

I'll be doing some Sunday sciencing later and will post my results in the Safety Razor thread. Stay tuned!

Jay21

I had a pretty nice shave this morning. I loaded the Catie's Bubbles with distilled water. Maybe it was a bit better, but I can't be for certain. I used the Merkur 15c with a Shark Platinum on its second shave.

I think the Shark might be a bit rough. I took just the smallest hint of sting from the Old Spice this morning, which I normally never get with the Merkur. Either my skin is really upset from using more aggressive razors the last few weeks, my technique went to hell, or the Shark is a bit rough. I'll try a blade I'm more familiar with tomorrow and see if I can sort this out. I really wish the SLOC and SS Mellon didn't leave me with irritation because they really do shave me closer. My face is much smoother after using them. I'll try them again in the future and continue to practice irritation avoidance with them.

Jay21

Order seems to have been restored in the universe and there is once again balance in the Force. I went back to basics today and had a fantastic shave.

I skipped my distilled water experimentation for now and used tap water to make my lather with Catie's Bubbles. That is reproducible for me every time. The lather today was excellent. I loaded a fresh "NOS" double-wrapper GSB into the Merkur 15c and used a neutral angle to shave. Everything felt right today. And, wow, that is a nice a blade. I don't want to get much into the debate about the "NOS" double-wrapper GSB vs. new single-wrapper GSB debate, but the "NOS" certainly isn't any worse than the new ones. It's a fantastic blade.

Absolutely no sting from the Old Spice. Order restored.

This gives me the idea to try the Shark blade again as it may benefit from a more neutral angle. I have been running the 15c a bit steep as of late, but going more neutral today seemed to help things. I also want to experiment with the Yaqi SS Mellon going neutral, or even a bit shallow, to help tame the aggressiveness.

Have great shaves, everyone!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I like Tigers...they make a very satisfying clink when I peel and drop them in my blade bank.
Yeah I bought mine 'cause the artwork on the box looks so cool. I'm trying to make a presentation of blade box fronts in a frame and I thought they'd jazz it up. they even put these things they call blades in the boxes but I have many more colourful names for them when I try to use them to shave.

Taming the Tiger might be an art, but I find them quite alright for a few shaves. Much much better for my skin than Astra SPs, that’s for sure. I bought them early on as a mild alternative for my KCG blade. Their performance is very dependent on the razor. They work great with a number of mine.

Cheers,

Guido

This message is purposefully posted for @lasta :wink2:

Last edited:
Top Bottom