What's new

January 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Whelp, I was a bit impatient, so I did a quick test shave with the stick.

DFS+

I have nearly no experiences with sticks but a barely visible coating on the skin produced a low structure super slick lather for three passes - looks like a winner!

IMG_0938.jpg

Still going. 2-pass head shave, #3 with the Müster blade. I am pleased, it did well. I had no expectations on performance, so kudos. Will it replace my top blades, no. But I could happily use them otherwise. Binned after 3 uses as I do most blades. The hole in the bottom of my Stirling is getting bigger, and starting to spin when I load the brush, so a few more weeks most likely. This will also be the last shave with my Soviet Rubin for a while as my daughter got me a birth year Gillette slim for my birthday, so I'll try that out and see what I think, curious how it compares to the Rubin.

Soviet Rubin - setting 6
Müster Platinum (3 & bin)
Stirling Bay Rum
Omega Boar

shave.jpeg

I have nearly no experiences with sticks but a barely visible coating on the skin produced a low structure super slick lather for three passes - looks like a winner!

I have some experience with shave sticks, my usual method of application is: soak brush, wet face, wet stick, vigorously rub soap on face while constantly re-wetting stick, face lather with brush. They are usually a quick and convenient way to lather ones face.

I have some experience with shave sticks, my usual method of application is: soak brush, wet face, wet stick, vigorously rub soap on face while constantly re-wetting stick, face lather with brush. They are usually a quick and convenient way to lather ones face.
I tried to avoid the rubbing and only let it glide on my wet face. Different lather as usual but slick and efficient.

Still in

Pre-Shave: Skinfood, 50 laps on strop
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Blade: Gold Dollar 208
Strop: Razoremporium Beginner/travel strop
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Fuar Ach Snog

View attachment 1396044
My first strop looked pretty similar haha. I was so happy I took the advice to get an affordable practice strop because of how long it took me to not nick it. Luckily they sand out.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Derby Extra (26) from the December Derby
  • Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
  • Deer-horn mystery badger
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I haven't contributed much in the way of pictures lately - just too busy. However, this morning, I decided "WTH" and spent a bit of extra time to take some pictures. Maybe this will get me back in the good graces of the Pic-Sharing Gods.

Preparing
SOTD_011922_1.jpg

Loaded
SOTD_011922_2.jpg

After the first-pass face-lather
SOTD_011922_3.jpg

A close-up for the weirdos (you know who you are...)
SOTD_011922_4.jpg

After the shave
SOTD_011922_5.jpg

After the aftershave (green = mentholated witch hazel; brown = Lucky Tiger; blue = Bay Rum)
SOTD_011922_6.jpg

Ready for tomorrow
SOTD_011922_7.jpg

Onward!

When you start finding multiple soaps in your stash that you forgot you owned, you say… Still In! 🤪

I have too much stuff and do not need any more.*

* I HAVE said that before. 😜

- Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L
- Razor: Wolfman WR1 0.74
- Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SS - Green (2)
- Soap: St James of London Sandalwood and Bergamot
- Aftershave: Thayers Unscented and Hyaluronic Acid
Scent: Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa

132CB896-1EC5-4A93-BB7B-1CD35B001995.jpeg

Still in... Shave number 4 of the month...
Today looking at my shelf I spotted a box that has not been opened yet.... The Caisson Shaving adjustable razor which is basically a Qshave adjustable design but, also my first adjustable razor purchased before the new year. So after thinking about it I decided that today's shave would be all Caisson Shaving equipment.

Razor: Caisson adjustable
Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum(3), purchased from Caisson.
Brush: Caisson 24 mm synthetic travel brush, currently my favorite synthetic.
Soap: Caisson Code Four
Travel pouch in the picture is also from Caisson.
He doesn't have after shave yet so Nivea sensitive skin it is.
I adjusted the razor to level 3 with a few days growth. Not bad for my first outing with the razor. I managed a 2 pass socially acceptable shave. I'm thinking I'll be able to dial it in a bit better after a few more shaves.
I really need to call Travis at some point and see if he's thinking about adding an aftershave or balm. Great guy to talk to.... After the end of the month to avoid temptation 😆
PXL_20220120_003725208.jpg

Top Bottom