What's new

January 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

still in - close to BBS with the New Long Comb and a Super-Max (3), two weepers so I binned the blade
IMG_0934.jpg

Still in , this was yesterday's shave, none today, CCS, I work from home and no one interact with me, I shave for me and none else lately

Prep : warm shower/ Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso blue
Brush : Maggard SY24 synthetic
Cream : Proraso white croap
Razor : Merkur 34 HD
Blade : Voshkod (4)
Post : Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel , Nivea Sensitive balm

One thing I have tried to work on is to listen to my skin, over the week end a storm blew around here dropping the temp and dehydrating everything, my skin included ... so instead of chasing a BBS that I seems to never achieve and only lead to nick cut and irritation, I did a 2 pass job and jaw line neck clean up. even though there was a lot of tugging around , no cut or irritation.

You all have a great week, I am debating on binning that blade or doing a 5th one ...

View attachment 1395057

Still in.

I found I got a better shave when I smear on barbasol, then rinse it off, then reapply before my 1st pass…. Weird. Even though usually when I just smear and pass, I try and get my face as wet as possible before hand. In a rush this morning, so it out came the Sensor and Barbasol.
Dang if only I had not binned all those handle along the year ... nice simpler cartridge

Gents, I’m out.

I have 2 razors, the Blackland Vector, nimble and efficient, and the Tatara Masamune, super smooth but struggling with efficiency. In my desire to simultaneously experience the best of both, I placed an order for the Tatara Nodachi plate. I elected not to wait until the end of this month because I wanted to get the ball rolling, given significant shipping delays from Portugal.

I’ll continue to participate in the thread with what’s currently in my den. Happy shaves!

Still in. SOTD - 17 JAN 2022

View attachment 1395391

First use on the Seaforth SSL. I get all three notes from the title: Salty, little musky spice, with a zesty lime on top. Smells like a cologne with some lime on top. I wasn't the biggest fan of it at first but learning to enjoy it. Clean DFS result today with no irritations.
That sounds right up my alley. If you decide you don't like it and want to trade, LMK!

Quick update on the Beagle brush situation. Bernd has sent me a reply offering me a new Beagle Handle and I've paid Shavemac €30 for the replacement handle.

Which means...

I'm out

See y'all in February
At the risk of being called a casuist again @Owen Bawn ;) - stuff that breaks is covered in 1c.

Again it’s your call if you say that you are out but for me that was not a frivolous purchase but the first aid on a freak accident.
Generally, I would disagree. Rule 1C says that if something breaks (or runs out) and you have no suitable replacement, you can buy a new one. An example would be running out of balm and having no more in the den. I suspect that HMH has at least one more brush that can be used after the demise of the Beagle.

However...the Beagle purchase was an official B&B group buy, which makes it unrestricted in the GRUME sense. Replacing the handle of a broken B&B-related item seems - to me - to fit with the spirit of the exemption and does not put him out.

Just wanted to add my clarifying thoughts. Carry on. :blushing:

Gents, I’m out.

I have 2 razors, the Blackland Vector, nimble and efficient, and the Tatara Masamune, super smooth but struggling with efficiency. In my desire to simultaneously experience the best of both, I placed an order for the Tatara Nodachi plate. I elected not to wait until the end of this month because I wanted to get the ball rolling, given significant shipping delays from Portugal.

I’ll continue to participate in the thread with what’s currently in my den. Happy shaves!
Your purchase is definitely understandable, given that you're trying to find "the one" for excellent shaves. I hope the plate delivers! Please do play along at home, and tell us all about it when the plate arrives and you have given it a try.

Unless we've missed something, it's been quite some time since we had a brother fall! However, it has happened, and that means it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Multum in parvo
3) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
4) @B_R_A_D - GRUYERE
5) @Doti B
6) @sandorfi
7) @Timeclo
8) @Balin - GRUYERE
9) sarir97 - out (1/18: Tatara Nodachi plate)
10. @SharpieB
11. @spirograph (GRUME noob)
12. @Angus MacAngus - GRUYERE
13. @Roedeer
14. @Heavy_Metal_Hound
15) @linty1
16) @Kyle89
17) @hopper_64
18) @wmadoty - GRUYERE
19) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
20) @Stuart Ganis
21) @Cafebarian - GRUYERE
22) @cryhavoc
23) abz88 - out (1/10 Semogue LE Boar)
24) @BaPh96
25) @Dodger59
26) @Leverspro
27) @Heron
28) @JAHE- GRUYERE
29) @JWCowboy - GRUYERE
30) @SgtCrppls - Doug
31) @Contact_vs_Feedback
32) @La Malice

Day 18, 58% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Pears soap
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Ti Handle, Astra SP #2
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, KCG #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

A double Game Changer shave again. Great result with no irritation.

Had a narrow escape today. Visited the further-away supermarket, noticed they were selling KCG blades, and only remembered not to buy them at the last minute.

I've still got 4 left to play with; they are good, but not better than Astra SP or Wizamets.

SOTD #019/2022
19-Jan-2022

Still in.

One of my major goals for 2022 is to properly learn to shave with a foldable razor. After having had nothing but bad experiences with a Shavette styled razor to date (one of those who take half DE blades... what a bloody mess) I now opted for a Feather SS when the opportunity came up to buy one for a resonable retail price (all in good time prior to the start of the 2022 GRUYERE).

It arrived only yesterday, so I gave it a first spin in the very early morning.

20220119_104742-01.jpg

It's been a satisfying debut shave. Aainst all odds I found a proper angle almost by intuition and even completed a full two pass shave (wtg and atg, the latter in Kamisori shave style) with one tiny nick and just a tad of redness on my neck (the psb took care of it quickly). I assume the mild Feather Pro Guard was a good blade to start up with.

There is a learning curve with this razor, for sure, but it appears to be flatter one than the one I was expecting. As soon as muscle memory kicks in the shaves with this well crafted quality tool likely will only get better.

The start was very promising.

SOTD:
20220119_094919-01.jpg

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
still in - headshave today

And a package showed up that was deemed lost months ago in limbo between Ireland and Austria...
Wow. You are likely a rich man, now, as long as you didn't pay a steep price! Lol.

These discontinued sticks are offered for up to 9 EUR nowadays on the german 'bay (I don't know if anyone is lost enough to pay this price). Former retail price prior to the discontinuation was less than 1 Euro here im Germany.
🤷
I have one in my drawyer but did not use it as yet.

Happy shaves with it!

Wow. You are likely a rich man, now, as long as you didn't pay a steep price! Lol.

These discontinued sticks are offered for up to 9 EUR nowadays on the german 'bay (I don't know if anyone is lost enough to pay this price). Former retail price prior to the discontinuation was less than 1 Euro here im Germany.
🤷
I have one in my drawyer but did not use it as yet.

Happy shaves with it!
2.75 per stick :)

Top Bottom