What's new

J. Allen 6/8 in Amboyna Burl

This took me forever since I just had my 2nd baby. Been working on it in 10 minute increments for who knows how long. This one is Brass lined Amboyna Burl with CA finish and Brass/Amboyna wedge. Blass is mirror polished 6/8 quarter hollow Joseph Allen and Sons NON-XLL.

Here is the blade before:

proxy.php

And here it is now:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nice work.:w00t:
How does one put that sort of a mirror finish on a blade that badly stained? I've tried with my knife collection and can get a gleam, but never have I gotten a blade to have such a finish that I could read a book in.

Very nice work.:w00t:
How does one put that sort of a mirror finish on a blade that badly stained? I've tried with my knife collection and can get a gleam, but never have I gotten a blade to have such a finish that I could read a book in.

Thanks. I reground it up to 400 grit and then hand sanded to 2000 grit, then used a dremel and buffing wheel with red rouge then, turtle wax rubbing compound, then MAAS. The blade was actually really messed up. It looked like someone tried to hone it using a electric knife sharpener. You can see the darker marks near the edge in the original pic. It was all wavy. I had to fix it up quite a bit.

:o16: can you tell me what you are referring to when you say you'd been "working on it in 10 minute increments"? Do you mean sanding? And what of the scales? Where can I learn how to do this??!!?!?

That wedge really take the razor to another level. :biggrin: Some of the nicest work I have seen on this site. Those are not scales thay you can just whip up in a couple of hours. Some serious man hours and attention to detail.

A couple of question....what did U use to adhere the brass to the wood in the wedge? Epoxy? Also, is the wedge tapered or flat? Reason I ask is that I have done somethig similar with wood and spacer material, adhered with CA. I sanded the spacer material to put just a slight taper in the wedge.

Top Bottom