What's new

I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice!

Normal hot water from the faucet, a couple drops of Dawn, soft toothbrush takes care of most of the stuff you find on these. For heavy yuckiness, you may have to soak it overnight.
Soap and water is what I usually use. I mentioned the Clippercide in case it was safe and it's strong stuff for cleaning. But I guess it's a pass for these razors. I'll stick to the Dawn then!

If you have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine, those work great for cleaning razors. I have a heavier duty one also for really tough jobs, but the little jewelry-sized one I have does a nice job also on many of the razors I've bought.

If you have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine, those work great for cleaning razors. I have a heavier duty one also for really tough jobs, but the little jewelry-sized one I have does a nice job also on many of the razors I've bought.
I have an Ultrasonic cleaner. It's a little one that I got on Amazon a while back. I guess I can try it and see how it would work. I've never used it for any of my razors so I'll take it out and give it a go.

I have an Ultrasonic cleaner. It's a little one that I got on Amazon a while back. I guess I can try it and see how it would work. I've never used it for any of my razors so I'll take it out and give it a go.
Just fill it with hot tap water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. At those temperatures and with that cleaning agent, every razor I've bought is virtually indestructible. My heavy duty machine, which can heat the water to quite high temperatures can be a different story.

How do you figure out that it's from 1974?

Last edited by a moderator:
@LRod , part of the fun (for me) was getting that old razor that’s all gunked up for not much $$, going home and cleaning/polishing it to see what it shined up to be.

I still have a ‘62 Gillette Slim that I got for not a lot and it looks almost new, nowhere near 60yrs old.
Cool!
I see myself on that path. Nice way to acquire at little to no cost. And that must be exciting to find something cheap that turns into something really nice.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know say to myself, I'll just buy one Y2 (1953) vintage razor... I'll end up getting to know Back Roads well and will have a "collection".

I think I'll enjoy the vintage Gillettes here just like I do the beautiful straight razors.... vicariously.

A man has to know his limitations.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Vintage Gillette TTO razors are a lot of fun. If you don’t get the whole history of an old razor thing, I get it. But a lot of us enjoy the historical significance of these vintages. When I use an old razor I think about who may have used it in the past, what they were doing, what the world was like at that time. Many of my high end modern razors will slay a vintage in performance in my opinion. But that’s not the point. My grandfather taught me to shave when I was very young… maybe 6 years old or thereabouts. Early 1970’s. Without a blade installed. With a Super Speed. With canned goo. I think about that sometimes. How I wish I still had his razors. Or when my 20 year old son shaves with a Late 40’s Tech that is four times older than he is. Or when I shave with a 1947 Super Speed that was made the same year my dad was born. These things are enjoyable to me.

Well folks, I never delved into anything vintage. I like modern razors and never really had an interest in old razors. But I decided to try one out for the first time. I hear so many great things about these vintage razors on B&B that it was just a matter of time before I would buy one. A "new" vintage razor seemed like a good way to go the vintage route. And my choice for a first vintage razor was a Superspeed. I based my decision on researching (on B&B) what I might like and I like how it looks too!
I found a "New old stock" 1963 Gillette Superspeed flare tip!
Should be here next week!
Note: I know zilch about vintage so hopefully this works out😄

I'd love to hear some opinions (positives & negatives) from you all on what I'm looking forward to. I lack the knowledge on this side of the shaving world!
LRod

Here are some pictures:

full

full

full

full

full

full
Either Gen 1 to 3 you can't go wrong with the tried and true SS design.

Well folks, it just arrived in the mail!
This razor is pristine and shows no signs of wear. Looks like it was stored it's whole life. Zero pitting, not a scratch and it functions perfectly. For it's age, it's as new as it can be!
Even the case is pristine! I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I believe I got an excellent deal for less than if I would have bought a new modern lower tier razor. It's stunning!:)
I'll give it an ultrasonic bath today to sanitize it and it'll be up for tonights shave:

PXL_20220725_175204859.jpg
PXL_20220725_175007353.jpg
PXL_20220725_175025166.jpg
PXL_20220725_175050864.jpg
PXL_20220725_175059328.jpg
PXL_20220725_175117769.jpg

Last edited:
When you clean the soap film off the baseplate it'll really shine! :001_cool:
Subtle way of saying: "It ain't new buddy", Lol!!
But you're right and I'm good with it as is. It's in "like new" condition. I've updated my description to reflect this!
You guys know more than me since this is my first vintage. So I'll take the education!
It's all good!!

Last edited:
Question for the experts:
I've never used a vintage razor.
What's a good blade to test?
I've got Bic, Feather, Astra Green, Kai, Nacet, German Wilkinsons, Treet and a few others.
What do you all recommend?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You'll see what I mean about the cleaned razor ... I've bought 50 that looked exactly like that and came out really, really nice.

Bic, Feather, Astra Green, Kai, Nacet, German Wilkinsons, Treet and a few others.
What do you all recommend?
Astra for your test.

Top Bottom