What's new

I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice!

Lrod,

I did end up ordering that British Flat Bottom Tech... I'm planning on sending it to Back Roads Gold too. Chris replied to my email right away. I'm looking forward to experimenting a bit with DE razors.
Good for you!
You'll love it especially after the replate.
I know you love your Claymore and rightly so. And you'll continue loving it but I think you'll get hooked on DE's as well. You've got all the brushes you'd want and now it's time for some razors. I so much like the first Super Speed I bought that it's opened another avenue. I'll probably keep my 2 or 3 favorite modern DE's I have and sell the others. I think I'm shifting to vintage!
The Super Speed shaves incredibly well, has perfect balance and carries that old vibe that the modern ones can't offer.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This seems like a good place to ask a really ignorant question. When using a DE... what is the process for switching edges? I'm sure there is no single right way but do you switch edges for each side of you face to keep them sort of equally used? How do you keep track or it just feel?

This seems like a good place to ask a really ignorant question. When using a DE... what is the process for switching edges? I'm sure there is no single right way but do you switch edges for each side of you face to keep them sort of equally used? How do you keep track or it just feel?
I use one side per stroke!
Then after I've used both sides after 2 strokes, I rinse and do it over again.
That's just me!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use one side per stroke!
Then after I've used both sides after 2 strokes, I rinse and do it over again.
That's just me!
I know myself... I'm more like that too.... systematic. I'll figure out a routine that works for me, somehow. Even if it has no value, I know I'll take out the blade... clean and dry the razor... dry and flip the blade too. <eg> I'm a bit a#^*, I know.

You know, I was just mentioning this in a PM a couple days ago. It was a bit of a revelation to discover that people used one edge at a time basically from the beginning. There are people here doing this, but nobody talks about it. Many of the higher quality blades have markings that you can see while shaving, I have heard of people marking their blades if you can't see it or it's missing. To me, this is the most consistent way to use two edges. If one edge starts to go dull half way through the 3rd shave, you can finish with the other side and you will still have 2 more shaves. This eliminates the problem of not being sure if you are pushing it by going one more shave, I can tell you it's a lot more obvious with one edge. You can probably understand this since you are used to single edge razors.

My "1 stroke per side and then flip to the other side" method ensures that each side gets equally used during each shave. And doing that doesn't make me have to think more about that when I shave. Plus I replace blades every 3 shaves so I'm sure plenty is still left in the blade after I've tossed it (except Feather's that max for me at 2 shaves). For me the flip per stroke + changing blades every 3 shaves, guarantees that I always get the best shave. I don't want my shaves to be an engineering project so that's as scientific as I would ever get when it comes to blade usage.
I just want to enjoy every shave!
Of course, YMMV!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm sure I'll find my way.... either of those two ways will work. I'll try to find the method that is the easiest for me to remember. I'm old, remember?

I'll also ask Jim, Cal and Doug what method they use.

I'm sure I'll find my way.... either of those two ways will work. I'll try to find the method that is the easiest for me to remember. I'm old, remember?

I'll also ask Jim, Cal and Doug what method they use.
You'll find your flow without even thinking about it. My method came naturally without any thought. You brought it out to light with your question. So to be honest, before today I don't think I had ever really analyzed that.
Thank you, LOL!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You'll find your flow without even thinking about it. My method came naturally without any thought. You brought it out to light with your question. So to be honest, before today I don't think I had ever really analyzed that.
Thank you, LOL!!
That makes sense. I've had to do that with quite a few things. I do them naturally... but when the question arises, I have to pause and think about what I do and why I ended up choosing to do it that particular way.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just got a notification from eBay.... my British Flat Bottom just shipped... That probably just means, they created a label for it. I doubt it's at Canada Post yet. It's due to me August 10th............ unless I get lucky and the hand off it good... and USPS does its job. Both are a craps shoot.

I went ahead a took a picture so you can see what I was talking about with the markings and decide what works for you. It's a post war tech clone competitor. 😔

full

I can easily see which edge I am using. I put markings like this out to the edge on blades that don't have them or with razors that cover them.

Last edited:
I went ahead a took a picture so you can see what I was talking about with the markings and decide what works for you. It's a post war tech clone.

full

I can easily see which edge I am using. I put markings like this out to the edge on blades that don't have them or with razors that cover them.
How very dare you sir! :letterk1:

The PAL or Star was the American Safety Razor Companys' first DE razor, introduced in 1946 as a direct competitor to the Gillette Tech.

It is in no way a clone, merely an attempt to create a value for money, mild shaving razor.

You will note the very different head configuration, using an interesting baseplate extruding post design, reminiscent of an OC Old.

It retailed in the UK in the 50's for about 5 shillings, slighly less than a Tech.

It was very successful, but Gillette's marketing and sales power eventually drove the lovely little PAL/Star from the market in the early 60's.

Some claim the little PAL/Star shaves better than the Tech.

If you get the angle right, I agree.

Here is my rather elegant and purposeful looking English made PAL. And a sweet and efficient little shaver it is.

So there! :001_smile

IMG_20220621_212216952.jpg

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
More love for Back Roads. On the right is a 1947 Super Speed I just had replated a couple of weeks ago. Left is a Fat Boy. Sent them in together. Had them back in a couple of weeks. Must have just gotten it in before the move. Both in Polished Nickel. They came out great. Real nice to work with as well. That 1947 Super Speed is a killer razor.

20220717_184949.jpg

Anyone know the differences between my 63' Super speed and my black handle 74' Super speed?
I had a first shave last night with the 74'. It seems that it's a bit more agressive and less smooth than the 63'.
We're their any changes in the head geometry between those two years?
It was a good shave with the 74' but the 63' gives the perfect shave!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Anyone know the differences between my 63' Super speed and my black handle 74' Super speed?
I had a first shave last night with the 74'. It seems that it's a bit more agressive and less smooth than the 63'.
It was a good shave with the 74' but the 63' gives the perfect shave!
They are very comparable. But there are a lot of factors that could contribute to a more or less aggressive shave. Such as prep, blade, how tight you clamp down the TTO knob, or if the razor was dropped and has a tweaked safety bar. Lots of variables there.

They are very comparable. But there are a lot of factors that could contribute to a more or less aggressive shave. Such as prep, blade, how tight you clamp down the TTO knob, or if the razor was dropped and has a tweaked safety bar. Lots of variables there.
Same blade, prep, clamp down etc..
Could be the safety bar!
With the visible eye, it looks perfect but something non visible can create an issue I guess. I'll keep experimenting with it to see what's the deal!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
There were changes, as always Gillette was making minor tweaks in their assembly line.
Different baseplates entirely, slightly smaller safety bar on the later model. Different lifting mechs.
To me, they shave the same. Did you use the same blade @LRod ?

Left is a '64 and right, a '74, they're not perfectly aligned and may not be clamped all the way tight. Just to show the differences looking in from the end.
full

Gillette "diamond" is of a different style but not as radically different as the '80s model with the square bottom and different knurling on the plastic (not coated aluminum) handle. Now those were a super shaver that rivals the red tip.
full

Apologies for the cell phone pics.

There were changes, as always Gillette was making minor tweaks in their assembly line.
Different baseplates entirely, slightly smaller safety bar on the later model. Different lifting mechs.
To me, they shave the same. Did you use the same blade @LRod ?

Left is a '64 and right, a '74, they're not perfectly aligned and may not be clamped all the way tight. Just to show the differences looking in from the end.
full

Gillette "diamond" is of a different style but not as radically different as the '80s model with the square bottom and different knurling on the plastic (not coated aluminum) handle. Now those were a super shaver that rivals the red tip.
full

Apologies for the cell phone pics.
Yep, I used the same type of blade (Gillette Platinum). I just looked at both side by side as you did. Definitely different baseplates as you said. I guess that's makes some difference. The difference in shave wasn't massively different but it was noticeable. I guess the slight difference in design is what my face felt.
Thanks for the illustration,
LRod

Well folks, I never delved into anything vintage. I like modern razors and never really had an interest in old razors. But I decided to try one out for the first time. I hear so many great things about these vintage razors on B&B that it was just a matter of time before I would buy one. A "new" vintage razor seemed like a good way to go the vintage route. And my choice for a first vintage razor was a Superspeed. I based my decision on researching (on B&B) what I might like and I like how it looks too!
I found a "New old stock" 1963 Gillette Superspeed flare tip!
Should be here next week!
Note: I know zilch about vintage so hopefully this works out😄

I'd love to hear some opinions (positives & negatives) from you all on what I'm looking forward to. I lack the knowledge on this side of the shaving world!
LRod

Here are some pictures:

full

full

full

full

full

full
I think it's a fantastic start to a collection. It's in really nice shape, it comes with all of the original packaging, I know that's known to be a really good razor although I don't currently have it, I just purchased this exact model and am expecting it in the mail so I can't myself speak to it's quality. Old school Gillette stuff though is really good in my experience, I have a 1976 SS with the black handle, not sure of how similar it is to yours in terms of functionality, but it's really good, and that was my first vintage razor which I found at an antique shop maybe a little over a month ago. It's a very mild razor, it works well with more aggressive blades I've noticed.

Enjoy it.

Well folks, I never delved into anything vintage. I like modern razors and never really had an interest in old razors. But I decided to try one out for the first time. I hear so many great things about these vintage razors on B&B that it was just a matter of time before I would buy one. A "new" vintage razor seemed like a good way to go the vintage route. And my choice for a first vintage razor was a Superspeed. I based my decision on researching (on B&B) what I might like and I like how it looks too!
I found a "New old stock" 1963 Gillette Superspeed flare tip!
Should be here next week!
Note: I know zilch about vintage so hopefully this works out😄

I'd love to hear some opinions (positives & negatives) from you all on what I'm looking forward to. I lack the knowledge on this side of the shaving world!
LRod

Here are some pictures:

full

full

full

full

full

full
LRod,

Very nice flair tip! I inherited one of those and it’s a fine, mild shaver on my face-for-radio. Back in the day, Gillette got a bunch of things right with DE razors, me thinks. Though I own some more expensive vintage, and modern razors, two which continue to perform exceptionally well for me are a 1936 Aristocrat and a 1954 Super Speed. Congrats on diving into the vintage end of the shaving pool! Happy Vintage Shaves!

Curly

Top Bottom