What's new

I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I still don't see the draw of vintage razors and am looking forward to hear your impressions.
I particularly don't get this razors having a history and a story thing that is important to some. I like collecting things, but no autographs e.g..

Let's see. I would love this handle in stainless steel. 😀

Looking at the knob and the inside of the head, I have my doubts this is actually a NOS razor.

I still don't see the draw of vintage razors and am looking forward to hear your impressions.
I particularly don't get this razors having a history and a story thing that is important to some. I like collecting things, but no autographs e.g..

Let's see. I would love this handle in stainless steel. 😀

It is an all-brass razor. This is not good enough for you?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It is an all-brass razor. This is not good enough for you?
I didn't recognize it as brass, but there are other reasons as well.

I prefer stainless steel. Brass is fine, too. But I prefer my razors to have no coating or plating.

While I am not adamant about it, I also prefer to have strong blade clamping. Vintage razors usually don't. Butterfly opening also makes razors less interesting for me. I had a Parker butterfly that was already having issues with that before I ever used it.

Looking at the knob and the inside of the head, I have my doubts this is actually a NOS razor.
That's the sellers claim!
Maybe, maybe not!
We'll see!
Either way, seems to be in good shape and I picked it up cheap.
Maybe it's good enough that I'll overlook if it's not NOS. But if I don't, it'll go back and I'll get refunded. No big deal!

I didn't recognize it as brass, but there are other reasons as well.

I prefer stainless steel. Brass is fine, too. But I prefer my razors to have no coating or plating.

While I am not adamant about it, I also prefer to have strong blade clamping. Vintage razors usually don't. Butterfly opening also makes razors less interesting for me. I had a Parker butterfly that was already having issues with that before I ever used it.
I get it, you have a thing for stainless steel. :lol:

Since you like strong clamping, obviously the modern razors are preferable. GIllette abandoned the strong clamping pretty early in their history.

Comparing a Parker TTO to a Gillette TTO, ahem...

I don't know what the current industry standard is, but Superspeeds clamp pretty darn well.
The Super-Speeds clamp only a very small area of the blade near both edges. Look carefully from the end caps side. This is the direction Gillette took from the 40s-50s onwards. Even in the Tech razors. The 50s Techs clamp almost all the surface of the blade. From the 60s (the faceted cap Techs) it is the same as the the Super-Speed - only a small part of the blade is clamped near the edges.

lasta

Blade Biter
The Super-Speeds clamp only a very small area of the blade near both edges. Look carefully from the end caps side. This is the direction Gillette took from the 40s-50s onwards. Even in the Tech razors. The 50s Techs clamp almost all the surface of the blade. From the 60s (the faceted cap Techs) it is the same as the the Super-Speed - only a small part of the blade is clamped near the edges.

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for explaining. My Superspeed is the 40's era version, clamps the blade all along the length, very rigid. Didn't know they changed that!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Comparing a Parker TTO to a Gillette TTO, ahem...
Apologies for unintentional heresy! 😎
I am afraid xomparing to a Rockwell T2 would also have qualified as such.

I will keep your clamping advice in mind from your other posting about Gillette changing where and how they clamped the blade starting in the 40-50s. I just wondered why there are no modern remakes or replicas. But maybe someone will do so in future.

I think strong clamping is beneficial, but lots of really good razors in my den don't bother with clamping much and still do extremely well. It's just one factor.

@lasta

Have more than 20 Super-Speeds. It is the same on the 40s style. You just can't see it because of the different profile of the doors. They have a different shape on the sides that hides the (lack of) contact of the blade with the top part. Most of the blade doesn't contact the doors. The empty space from the blade to the top of the door is actually even bigger on the 40s (left) compared to 1963 (right).

clamping.jpg

I fight the urge too but then something good comes up. So I take a look at what I already own and sell what's least liked.
Like that I can keep the RAD controllable (and affordable).

I caught a severe case of RAD, and was mostly able to satisfy the urge to buy razors by buying vintage Gillette DE and some Schick injectors at local antique shops.

The nice thing is that nearly all of my vintage razors were 10 bucks or less, and were accumulated one or two at a time over 3-4 months so it was very affordable.

Other than my near-new Fat Boy (bought locally) I have probably invested less than $200 on roughly two dozen vintage razors. That's an expenditure of like $50 per month, and a lot of fun. I love finding a dirty old razor, like my $6 Slim, and cleaning it up to find a hidden gem from long ago.

That's the sellers claim!
Maybe, maybe not!
We'll see!
Either way, seems to be in good shape and I picked it up cheap.
Maybe it's good enough that I'll overlook if it's not NOS. But if I don't, it'll go back and I'll get refunded. No big deal!
NOS or not, it's still very nice...besides, if you shave with it even one time it's a moot point, so use it and enjoy it.

Congratulations on your initiation into the vintage life. The Superspeed is a great, mild razor that you will be able to pass down to your children. When I made the decision to get back into traditional shaving the first razor I bought was a '53 Superspeed. It was a terrific way to start. I've since past it on to my nephew.
You'll have years of pleasurable shaves from it.

In preparation for when my razor arrives this coming week, what do you all recommend for a nice cleaning before first use?
Is clippercide aerosol a good idea or bad idea for these razors?

full

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Bad idea. Just use some warm water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush.

Don't go crazy, lots of nice vintage razors have been damaged by over-enthusiastic "cleaning".

And for God's sake, don't boil the poor thing.

Bad idea. Just use some warm water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush.

Don't go crazy, lots of nice vintage razors have been damaged by over-enthusiastic "cleaning".

And for God's sake, don't boil the poor thing.
Thanks!
Soap and water it shall be then.
I've never considered boiling a razor, Lol!!

Top Bottom