What's new

I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice!

Well folks, I never delved into anything vintage. I like modern razors and never really had an interest in old razors. But I decided to try one out for the first time. I hear so many great things about these vintage razors on B&B that it was just a matter of time before I would buy one. A "new" vintage razor seemed like a good way to go the vintage route. And my choice for a first vintage razor was a Superspeed. I based my decision on researching (on B&B) what I might like and I like how it looks too!
I found a "New old stock" 1963 Gillette Superspeed flare tip!
Should be here next week!
Note: I know zilch about vintage so hopefully this works out😄

I'd love to hear some opinions (positives & negatives) from you all on what I'm looking forward to. I lack the knowledge on this side of the shaving world!
LRod

Here are some pictures:

full

full

full

full

full

full

It is a great razor and you have a very good one. I had one for a while, but eventually passed it along. It will give you a very efficient shave that is every bit as good as a modern razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well folks, I never delved into anything vintage. I like modern razors and never really had an interest in old razors. But I decided to try one out for the first time. I hear so many great things about these vintage razors on B&B that it was just a matter of time before I would buy one. A "new" vintage razor seemed like a good way to go the vintage route. And my choice for a first vintage razor was a Superspeed. I based my decision on researching (on B&B) what I might like and I like how it looks too!
I found a "New old stock" 1963 Gillette Superspeed flare tip!
Should be here next week!
Note: I know zilch about vintage so hopefully this works out😄

I'd love to hear some opinions (positives & negatives) from you all on what I'm looking forward to. I lack the knowledge on this side of the shaving world!
LRod

Here are some pictures:

full

full

full

full

full

full
Congrats, Lrod.... I've considered buying a 1953 Y-2 of some sorts but so far, I've fought off the urge. I'm not sure I can afford RAD. My little brush collection is complete... or will be when my last one is delivered in the next couple weeks: a fairly inexpensive synth... part of a FB group buy. It might get shipped from Hong Kong sometime next week.

But I have been enjoying the fruits of your labor (razor searches).

Congrats, Lrod.... I've considered buying a 1953 Y-2 of some sorts but so far, I've fought off the urge. I'm not sure I can afford RAD. My little brush collection is complete... or will be when my last one is delivered in the next couple weeks: a fairly inexpensive synth... part of a FB group buy. It might get shipped from Hong Kong sometime next week.

But I have been enjoying the fruits of your labor (razor searches).
I fight the urge too but then something good comes up. So I take a look at what I already own and sell what's least liked.
Like that I can keep the RAD controllable (and affordable).

Hi there @LRod

Nice choice, and a classic family line.

Here is my first impressions when I got the original version, a 40's Super Speed, and it was my first vintage.

I was young and foolish then, but it still has a few takeaways.

Gillette SuperSpeed 1948-9. First Shave And Impressions By A 'Newbie' - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-superspeed-1948-9-first-shave-and-impressions-by-a-newbie.617248/#post-11550106

Enjoy!
I'll be reading that whole thread!
Thanks

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks good @LRod although I feel those thin blades pre-date the razor. Don't use 'em, they're likely to be rough.
You could unwrap one and see the date code, though.

Congrats! You'll enjoy it for sure.

Around 1961 Gillette changed the head profile from a higher dome to a slightly lower and more trim height on the flare tip. I really enjoy both, you'll need to try one from the fifties now to compare. :whistling:

It's a good choice and that is a nice specimen. They are really good razors and the mainstay of the Gillette lineup until the cart years. If you find it to be on the mild side, slap in a Feather blade.

There is a rule that says

You can never get a bad shave from a Superspeed.

I love them, I said a superspeed (red tip) could be my only razor forever and I would be happy.

LRod; This is a great first Super Speed. It is a robust and well made razor, and will be a comfortable shaver. The case is a wonderful addition to your acquisition. I recommend that you find a dispenser pack of Gillette razor blades from the same production period to finish this off well. As others have suggested- acquiring a birth year razor is the next step. For me- three 1955 Super Speed razors and cases with corresponding dispensers was a nice was to honor that, as Gillette introduced the light shaving Blue Tip; continued the popular Flare Tip as a medium shaver; and the Red Tip as their heavy shaver in this expanded lineup. Enjoy your Flare Tip! A Z1 1954 first year Flare Tip remains as one of my daily shavers. God Bless! Tony mgbbrown

Attachments

• 4D04DAFC-CFA1-4CFD-B395-4BC5AA6000D8.jpeg
    4D04DAFC-CFA1-4CFD-B395-4BC5AA6000D8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • BBCBDA28-D3B9-429D-9F24-729AB5C9B5B9.jpeg
    BBCBDA28-D3B9-429D-9F24-729AB5C9B5B9.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 0A68FB82-72ED-47B0-A15A-6A08DCEF3E48.png
    0A68FB82-72ED-47B0-A15A-6A08DCEF3E48.png
    452.5 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom