What's new

Is Proraso (CO Bigelow) overrated? Am I the only one?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have some ordered (the Proraso Single Blade). What should I expect?
A rich soap with plenty of cushion, slick, residual slickness, with a good post shave feel. I have Wood and Spice. I can't describe the scent, but it is woodsy, spicy, and very nostalgic for me. Why? I don't know. The scent is very present and strong. I love it. It is so familiar yet I can't put my finger on it. After I use it, tighten the cap, and put it on my soap shelf I can smell it when I walk by.

A rich soap with plenty of cushion, slick, residual slickness, with a good post shave feel. I have Wood and Spice. I can't describe the scent, but it is woodsy, spicy, and very nostalgic for me. Why? I don't know. The scent is very present and strong. I love it. It is so familiar yet I can't put my finger on it. After I use it, tighten the cap, and put it on my soap shelf I can smell it when I walk by.

I ordered the Cypress and Vetiver. Am anxious to try it.

I don't think it's overrated. Proraso is one of my favorite creams! I use the green and red and get nice close, comfortable shaves! Red is my favorite scent because it's sandalwood. I like the green scent too!
My thoughts exactly. It’s a decent product. I’m planning on ordering 2 more tubs of the green, been awhile since I’ve had any.

Ok, so I recently mixed the co Bigelow with cremo bourbon in a resealable soap container. Fast forward to today when I opened it up and found that there was a little pool of liquid on top. Did I make a big mistake? Is this going bad? Or does it just need to be stirred when I use it?

Any insight I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ok, so I recently mixed the co Bigelow with cremo bourbon in a resealable soap container. Fast forward to today when I opened it up and found that there was a little pool of liquid on top. Did I make a big mistake? Is this going bad? Or does it just need to be stirred when I use it?

Any insight I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just stir it up.

I recently tried Bigelow, never tried Proraso. I was expecting a big hit of eucalyptus and menthol, but what I got was some kind of hospital scent - not an objectionable scent, just not what I was expecting. The cooling was slight and nowhere near a Stirling glacial. The performance and post shave was fantastic though.

Did I get the right stuff? Everyone else seems to indicate that it's a face-freezing hit of eucalyptus.

I recently tried Bigelow, never tried Proraso. I was expecting a big hit of eucalyptus and menthol, but what I got was some kind of hospital scent - not an objectionable scent, just not what I was expecting. The cooling was slight and nowhere near a Stirling glacial. The performance and post shave was fantastic though.

Did I get the right stuff? Everyone else seems to indicate that it's a face-freezing hit of eucalyptus.

Bigelow and Proraso Green are supposed to be the same product.

No, you’re right, it’s not the coldest mentholated soap out there, but it’s pretty pleasantly cooling on hotter days. I’d guess that if you like the more super mentholated soaps, Proraso probably won’t have the kick you’re looking for.

As for the scent, it is very old school medicinal, almost like Vick’s Vapo-rub. I do get undertones of eucalyptus though.

Bigelow and Proraso Green are supposed to be the same product.

No, you’re right, it’s not the coldest mentholated soap out there, but it’s pretty pleasantly cooling on hotter days. I’d guess that if you like the more super mentholated soaps, Proraso probably won’t have the kick you’re looking for.

As for the scent, it is very old school medicinal, almost like Vick’s Vapo-rub. I do get undertones of eucalyptus though.
OK, thanks. I think that's what I'm getting from it.

A little bit of Cremo Cooling knocks the cold up a notch.
BigelowCremo.jpg

I never knew CO Bigelow & Proraso were the same. I had some trouble with the plumbing in my bathroom a couple of months back that led me to clean out the cabinets beneath the sinks. I found an old tube of Bigelow that I'm pretty sure I never used. I briefly wondered how it came to be in my bathroom and then promptly threw it away.

I never heard anyone say bigelow (proraso green) was face freezing.

It’s mildly cooling and I love it. Performance for the price is exceptional and they can be bought for about $5 in TJMaxx , Marshall’s or Burlington .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green and White are at the top of my list, Red and Blue don't work for me. Overrated? No, just easy to find. I tried a lot of shaving creams and soaps over the years and those two are the primary ones that produced satisfactory results.

I think the performance is great. Also the scent and cooling effect of the green. However, it leaves my skin tight and dry.

Yes, I think it's overrated.

I'm sure in Italy it is much cheaper and better reflects what it is, just a basic shaving cream with some menthol eucalyptus.

As far as shaving creams go, Kiss My Face is alot better for the price. Even Derby is better.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Been using the green so long I tend to forget about others. I like it. Works well with my hard well water! The scent, for me, is perfect. Enough to perfume the Shave Cave while I'm shaving; but not a strong scent to have to deal with for the rest of the day. I'm not personally too sensitive to scents, but I work with people who are and try not to hit them in the nose with it.

O.H.

Top Bottom