What's new

Is Proraso (CO Bigelow) overrated? Am I the only one?

Picked up the Bigelow green tube and my first shave I felt like the scent was super strong and the slickness was lacking.

To me, this seems like a winter soap. So, I will revisit it after the holidays. Think I'll add some Cremo bourbon to impart some more slickness, tone down the scent, and bring some sweetness in. Just have it sitting around anyway. [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I felt the same way about Proraso's slickness. It worked fine when I used a preshave oil massaged onto my face. The cream was probably designed to be used w/ Proraso preshave

Using what you like makes perfect sense to me! I'm simply pointing out that the difference in price is much smaller than you think. You forgot to factor in the 50% reduction in needed product for the CF. So you need almost 3 tubes of Proraso to equal one tub of CF (actually a bit less than 3 tubes).

So that's about $24 worth of Proraso to equal a tub of CF. That's obviously less money - about 6/10ths of a cent per day. My only point is that for less than a penny a day I think you're worth a try with some CF.

Don't stop using your sandalwood Proraso - I don't read a lot of strong recommendations for CF sandalwood. I recommend the Lavender or Lime.

Enjoy.

Don't forget volume vs weight. As I recall Castle Forbes is very dense and Proraso is not. You might think you use less Castle Forbes that Proaso but in reality, maybe not. A pound of lead has much less volume than a pound of feathers. I think if you were to squeeze an entire tube of Proraso into an empty jar of Castle Forbes, the Proraso would would be over the top of the jar. It's not an experiment I want to try but that's what I think.

I have the Green and the Red, I might be imagining it but the Red seems to perform ever so slightly better.
I really can't fault the Red, which I used today coincidentally. To me it defies logic that it's around half the price of some other products that are very good...just not twice as good. The Green is also very good value and a really nice product.

I like the performance of CO BIGELOW
The problem I'm having with it is that
It dries out and cakes up before I can
Even get a third of my face shaved , so
I experiment adding more water making
It thinner still same problem , use less
Water making it thicker still same problem
I just have no idea what is wrong.
Does anyone know what the heck I'm
Doing wrong...
I bowl lather with porcelain kitchen bowl.

Doing wrong...

Sounds like not enough water, or not lather isn’t worked well enough. I lather up Proraso Green (basically same soap) and on my face it lasts easily for a pass, in the brush it lasts a good 10 minutes +. I only rinse my face of soap between passes.

Doing wrong...

I use the Marco Method. It has worked well on all the different creams that I have. I dip the brush in hot water let it drain a little and give it a light shake. When I start working the lather the bubbles are too big and it takes a little work to eliminate the bubbles. I think that this step is important. Then I apply to the face and continue working until the desired thickness. The agitation on the face preps the skin and allows the lather to dry and thicken a little.

I think that this whole process starts with having enough water to produce the large bubbles. If you don't add enough water at the start the lather will be too thick and a close shave will not be possible. Multiple passes will be needed.

This process and variations has worked well for me. It is all based on Marco’s Method. I hope you have success in developing a version for yourself.
MM879

Sounds like not enough water, or not lather isn’t worked well enough. I lather up Proraso Green (basically same soap) and on my face it lasts easily for a pass, in the brush it lasts a good 10 minutes +. I only rinse my face of soap between passes.
Well I guess I'll keep on working with it
Until I get it right ..

I use the Marco Method. It has worked well on all the different creams that I have. I dip the brush in hot water let it drain a little and give it a light shake. When I start working the lather the bubbles are too big and it takes a little work to eliminate the bubbles. I think that this step is important. Then I apply to the face and continue working until the desired thickness. The agitation on the face preps the skin and allows the lather to dry and thicken a little.

I think that this whole process starts with having enough water to produce the large bubbles. If you don't add enough water at the start the lather will be too thick and a close shave will not be possible. Multiple passes will be needed.

This process and variations has worked well for me. It is all based on Marco’s Method. I hope you have success in developing a version for yourself.
MM879
I'm gonna have to look into this
Marco method, never heard of it before
This post..

Well I guess I'll keep on working with it
Until I get it right ..

I find it easier to start with just a damp brush rather than a wetter one, adding water as I build, a few good sized drops at a time. I also face lather instead of bowl.

I don’t know that it’s overrated, Proraso Green has been my favorite of the line, the scent is just perfection to me. But I’ve pretty much devoted Proraso to just breaking in new badger and boar brushes (letting them stand in the lather overnight for 3 nights in a row) - I found Proraso Grn was the best at quelling the wet animal smell of new brushes and breathing freshness to the bristles.

So on the shave front I usually reach for any of the other pricier soaps I’ve used (mostly because they did cost more so I better use them). If I shave with it I do use Cremo and the aftershave balm - and feels pretty damn dandy to me. If I could only use one aftershave my whole life it’d be PG balm.... if.

I'm gonna have to look into this
Marco method, never heard of it before
This post..

Intriguing, this Marco... I usually add water very gradually to avoid bubbles with the aim of thick lather, complete opposite of this. I’ll have to try this next time. Maybe with my Proraso Green.

Mixed COB and Cremo Bourbon this evening... The scents worked fine together, but more importantly, it was nice and slick. Great shave. [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom