What's new

Is “Map Your Beard” an overrated piece of advice? (YES, it is!)

If I don't go "north/south" on one specific spot to the left of my Adams apple, I get irritation. Took me FOREVER to figure that out.. That's the only place I feel the need to follow proper grain mapping. Otherwise it's a free for all. I end to just go down, then across, and perhaps an "upward" pass (ATG) but rare.

I just found this picture regarding shaving the neck area.
For me it is NOT bad, it is good if I shave upward from the neck to my chin on my 1st fast.
The 2nd pass is when I shave downward.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.18.36 PM.png

I have find that the grain direction is much more important when using a DE than an SR. With a DE the blade is a bit flimsy and I have minimal control over angle. I need to follow the grain map closely to avoid nicks and irritation. The good news is that it’s easy to move the razor in any direction with a DE.

When I switched to SR, I was worried that I wasn’t able to control the shave direction as much anymore. I physically can’t go right to left in my neck for example. But I soon discovered that it didn’t matter anymore. Maybe it’s the stiffer blade, shallower shave angle or skin stretching. Not sure. The SR is more limited in shave direction but it doesn’t matter.

I believe "mapping one's whiskers" may be nice in theory, but largely unnecessary in the world of reality. I also confess I've never done it.

I have tough old whiskers. I do a conventional 3 pass shave, N to S, ATG, and S to N, plus a 4th and final pass N to S again. Works for me. The 4th pass is a "piece of cake" and it adds only one minute to the shave.

It seems to me doing 3 or 4 passes does the work and accomplishes what mapping claims to do.

I constructed the bathroom in my cellar like a medieval church so that when I am standing at the sink I am facing east toward Jerusalem.
Bathroom? Don’t you have a purpose built shaving den?

When I joined B&B I thought all this den talk meant everyone was rich and had private shaving rooms. Finding out that den = bathroom ruined the mystique for me.

Luckily I put two and two together before giving my deposit to the contractor and kicking my son out of the basement.

I believe "mapping one's whiskers" may be nice in theory, but largely unnecessary in the world of reality. I also confess I've never done it.

I have tough old whiskers. I do a conventional 3 pass shave, N to S, ATG, and S to N, plus a 4th and final pass N to S again. Works for me. The 4th pass is a "piece of cake" and it adds only one minute to the shave.

It seems to me doing 3 or 4 passes does the work and accomplishes what mapping claims to do.
Correction: ATG above should read XTG (across the grain; sideways.

I have find that the grain direction is much more important when using a DE than an SR. With a DE the blade is a bit flimsy and I have minimal control over angle. I need to follow the grain map closely to avoid nicks and irritation. The good news is that it’s easy to move the razor in any direction with a DE.

When I switched to SR, I was worried that I wasn’t able to control the shave direction as much anymore. I physically can’t go right to left in my neck for example. But I soon discovered that it didn’t matter anymore. Maybe it’s the stiffer blade, shallower shave angle or skin stretching. Not sure. The SR is more limited in shave direction but it doesn’t matter.
I think this is along the lines of our previous chat about the Vector.

I agree with you about the flimsiness of DE blades, but then I never had issues with blade chatter since I moved to SE razors. The AC blades are totally rigid. Actually I would argue that the edge of an SE blade is stiffer than the edge of a SR, due to manufacturing process.

I'm not saying I never had a total BBS with DE or SR, cause I had, but the easiness and consistency of obtaining a BBS with Vector is virtually unparalleled. I get it every single shave, without having to pay special attention to any "trouble spots". It's effortless, which in my book is probably the most important quality of a shave altogether. I like my shaves to be relaxing, not a "dancing with the death" exercise. I don't like to focus or pay attention or be on top of my toes while shaving. I know YMMV 😊

I think this is along the lines of our previous chat about the Vector.

I agree with you about the flimsiness of DE blades, but then I never had issues with blade chatter since I moved to SE razors. The AC blades are totally rigid. Actually I would argue that the edge of an SE blade is stiffer than the edge of a SR, due to manufacturing process.

I'm not saying I never had a total BBS with DE or SR, cause I had, but the easiness and consistency of obtaining a BBS with Vector is virtually unparalleled. I get it every single shave, without having to pay special attention to any "trouble spots". It's effortless, which in my book is probably the most important quality of a shave altogether. I like my shaves to be relaxing, not a "dancing with the death" exercise. I don't like to focus or pay attention or be on top of my toes while shaving. I know YMMV 😊
I feel most alive when I’m dancing with death so will most likely continue with my straight razors! The Vector is a truly amazing shaving machine though. It’s in a league of it’s own and a huge leap in razor design. A stiff super sharp blade combined with a ridiculously thin head, wide cutting face and near perfect balance. This must be the pinnacle of razor design. I’m taking it away with me this weekend. Can’t wait. It’s a fun razor that works.

Last edited:
I feel most alive when I’m dancing with death so will most likely continue with my straight razors! The Vector is a truly amazing shaving machine though. It’s in a league of it’s own and a huge leap in razor design. A stiff super sharp blade combined with a ridiculously thin head, wide cutting face and near perfect balance. This must be the pinnacle of razor design. I’m taking it away with me this weekend. Can’t wait.
Well, @Tomo and @DaveHStone have “forced” me to use my Vector SB today. LOL. I agree with both of you on the Vector shaves, truly a remarkable razor.
Tim

I agree @DaveHStone, my beard predominantly grows from my left ear diagonally across and down to the bottom of my throat on the right. Staying WTG, XTG & ATG is a pain in the derrière. So I’ve modified it somewhat so that my first pass goes straight down my face, the way I shaved before I ever heard of beard mapping. This results in a pass that is a little WTD & XTG at the same time. My second pass is horizontal from right to left, which results in a pass that is a little XTG & a little ATG. The result? A DFS shave that rivalsor surpasses any shave where I went WTG, XTG ATG.

Shaving orthodoxy has long held that knowing your facial growth helps plan the best attack for smoothness and efficiency.
So, beard mapping has a benefit, whether done explicitly or implicitly (ie just knowing your face's quirks with experience).
Most of the posters here may not formally do a beard map, but almost everyone admits to having a shaving strategy of some degree. There is a reason the vast majority of shavers (imo) do not just do a single atg pass and be done with it. For most that strategy does not lead to the best shave. Sometimes orthodoxy is orthodoxy because it is true.

Disclaimer: YMMV :adoration:

Top Bottom