What's new

Is “Map Your Beard” an overrated piece of advice? (YES, it is!)

Browsing through the forums, this comes up a lot. Like, pretty much in every newbie-related post trying to offer some help about irritation, ingrown hairs and similar issues.

IMHO, knowing one’s facial hair growth direction/pattern is useful, but in no way crucial piece of information.

I think this is strongly a YMMV thing.

The conventional wisdom says we should start WTG, then XTG and ATG, but what about those guys whose hair grows in ALL directions or those men whose pattern changes every inch or so…?

FWIW, I shave in passes, WTG, XTG, ATG, but I could as well shave only ATG. I tried it a few times, just for fun. It is not as pleasant, but then I didn’t end up with irritated face, let alone cuts or nicks. It has no effect on my face. I never had an ingrown hair in my life.

So, all I’m trying to say is that shaving WTG/XTG/ATG is not all that important and for many people it’s downright impossible.

What do you guys think?

Disclaimer: I'm not asking this for myself, as I have no shaving related issues. I am NOT looking for an advice, just genuinely curious about what fellow experienced shavers might think about it.

I think it is just one variable in many that can make a difference if things are not going well.

As well as it being down to the characteristics of an individuals skin, face, stubble I believe the equipment used can factor in too. For instance, I can, if I choose, get away with a first ATG pass with some of my razors but absolutely no way with others.

Without beard mapping I might erroneously conclude that such a razor is no good for me.

I typically shave North to South, East to West and South to North, generally speaking. I think of those as directional guidelines, not as something set in stone and, in actual practice, those directional guidelines get blurred all the time based primarily on the contours of my face. Simply put, experience has shown me what works where on my face. If after doing three passes the shave is not acceptable by feel, I do what I need to do to fix it, again going by feel.

If I thought mapping my beard would vastly improve my shave I'd consider doing it; but I don't so I haven't. I'm not knocking the idea or the practice, it's just one I've not felt compelled to use personally.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My beard map looks like a dropped jigsaw puzzle.

IMG_20201025_132321_edit.jpg

However, following the predominant grain is still useful for me, even though "against the grain" might only be against 60-70% of the hair in any given area. It has definitely helped me understand the sequence of passes I need to take for best results, whether I'm going for a two pass "good enough" shave, or three passes plus seek and destroy work in the occasional quest for a perfect clean up.

I do get ingrown hairs if I don't follow what is best practice for me. I can also inflame the root, or get other skin irritation, despite DE shaving since the early 1990s. Shaving in certain directions, on different passes, is a key part of the overall formula for me to get close and comfortable shaves.

I might be willing to agree that actually performing the task of filling in the face map chart is probably not necessary, but that’s only because I believe most people end up knowing their face pretty well. I have a few spots on my neck I wouldn’t get as close if I didn’t know they grew in a different direction. But when I was younger, I did one pass with a Mach 3 and considered that shaved, and while not as close as I get now, it was shaved, so YMMV, depends on what you’re after?

In my personal experience shaving with the grain is the most comfortable for the first pass, and then i usually do an against the grain for a second and last pass. I have tried doing an across the grain, and i dont feel like it does much for me.

I think learning what is most comfortable for your beard growth and skin type is more important than religiously following a beard growth map.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Below my jawline is a crapshoot. I switch directions as needed to try and shave mostly with the grain. I have successfully eliminated irritation with a two pass SR shave being mindful of the direction my stubble grows. I don’t think Google maps would be able to keep up.

I am a 2-pass shaver and broadly speaking I stick to WTG for the first pass and something halfway between XTG & ATG for my second pass.

The exception to this rule is the chin area. Because it is highly contoured I shave with those contours irrespective of what direction the hair grows. This is the only way I can avoid irritation around the chin.

I agree that this is very much a YMMV thing dependent upon the coarseness of your beard and the sensitivity of your skin.

For those with a light beard and less sensitive skin, grain direction might not matter much.

I try to get a near-BBS shave as my beard grows quickly and I want to prolong the time between shaves. The only way I can achieve that is by shaving against the grain. However, with a coarse beard and sensitive skin, there is no way I could shave ATG on the early passes. I do have some changes in grain direction of my beard and I have to adjust my shaving stroke accordingly. I do four passes: WTG, XTG, ATG and a clean-up pass that is mostly ATG but somewhat XTG.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I've seen those really detailed bead map drawings, I guess if its something one enjoys? Its a little finicky for me, when I first started I just sorta ran my hand over my facial hair and found a "generally" sorta way. For example, instead of going noise to ear, I found that going diagonal, so from... like mouth to ear? Works better, so I just do that.

I hear you! Recently at age 58 I have re-evaluated many of my personal care issues, including shaving (blame B&B!). I have a beard and haven't liked how it looks in terms of thickness and general shape, so I researched and bought one of those beard templates, as well as looked at what soap to use, razor, blade, brush, etc., as well as how to get the general shape that I want (along with that, understanding my own beard map).

It's been a struggle but I am getting to the point of my beard looking like what I want.

Last weekend, I looked at some photos of me back in the 1990s and early 2000s, and realize that my beard looked fine back then, with little thought. The shape and lines were good and even. Maybe it was easier to shape my beard at a younger age (BTW, I still have a full head of hair), but I wonder if I am overthinking things.

(photo not of me...)
Beard Template.jpg

My first pass is just muscle-memory, pushing the razor against the whiskers, like I've done for years. On my second pass, I use the fingertips of my other hand to see feel where there is still stubble; that's where the blade goes, following the path of stubble. I usually make a partial third pass across my neck.

No map, mental or otherwise. I suppose I am mapping on my second pass, but I just call it "shaving."

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I don’t know if mapping you face is of any real consequence. Most of us if not all who shave regularly have a fair idea of the contours of our face and in my case head as well. We know the sots that are hard to shave or areas to be careful. Experience is a great teacher.

I will add that back in my cart using days, prior to getting into DE shaving, I paid no heed to beard mapping and just assumed WTG was N-S and ATG vice versa.
Turns out that's not exactly true for me and properties such as quality of shave, comfort, post shave feel and skin condition have improved since I began paying more attention to it.

Eben Stone

Staff member
For anyone new to tranditional shaving, or anyone with a thick beard and sensitive skin, I'm sure anything that can maybe help reduce irritation is useful.

Maybe I'm blessed with tough skin, IDK, but I find knowing my beard direction is *somewhat* important so I can go first pass ATG. I'm kinda lazy about following the exact path. That is what I prefer for a close smooth and comfortable shave.

Now if I can just figure out how to do that with a SR I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Not sure why it would not help a person!
People with sensitive skin it will help them a lot IMO. It is a tool that has been around for century's and barbers would use it to keep the comfort for the customer so he would keep returning. He would not draw one but he would mentally draw one.
Lots of folks on the forum will mention WTG or XTG & ATG or swirls or tough spots more than likely understand beard mapping.
I will leave this beard map if someone is interested.(It is a weird picture but if it helps great!)
beard map (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

I think you have to understand your beard map if you are ever going to approach BBS. I found that esp true for straight razor shaves.

I studied my patterns, but never drew them on paper.

Not sure why it would not help a person!
People with sensitive skin it will help them a lot IMO. It is a tool that has been around for century's and barbers would use it to keep the comfort for the customer so he would keep returning. He would not draw one but he would mentally draw one.
Lots of folks on the forum will mention WTG or XTG & ATG or swirls or tough spots more than likely understand beard mapping.
I will leave this beard map if someone is interested.(It is a weird picture but if it helps great!)
View attachment 1244673
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!
Way overthought for me, but to each their own for sure. Do what works.

Having said that, I have never thought about going across the grain on pass 2 and against the grain on pass 3. I always do the reverse and always have.

I shall try this tomorrow! 👍

Top Bottom