What's new

$ invested in shaving kit

How much $ do you have tied up in shaving gear?

• A.) Less than $200 in razors, brushes, soaps, blades, AS

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • B.)$200 - $399 in razors, brushes, soaps, etc.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • C.) $400 - $999 invested in shaving kit

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • D.) $1000 -$2500. Enjoying it, too!

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • E.) More than $2500, maybe a lot more.

Votes: 20 19.8%

• Total voters
Well reading this forum, it will be a miracle if I don't reach the top levels in two - three years. However I don't think I am at B yet, but I think this forum fuels a lot of thoughts in our conscience and we end up buying stuff.

Just did a calculation. I am making a purchase on next month and I am on Level B. Never thought I would be there ever.

Just did a calculation. I am making a purchase on next month and I am on Level B. Never thought I would be there ever.

With DE razors, you can have a couple of inexpensive razors, a couple of inexpensive brushes, a couple of inexpensive soaps, and a few packs of blades. For those on a budget, this can be the least expensive way to shave. For those with more money to spend, there are always craftsman with CNC machines who will sell you precision razors made of stainless or titanium.

Some straight razors use replaceable blades. These are called shavettes. The cost of maintaining them is not much higher than DE razors.

Using and maintaining traditional straight razors can be as inexpensive or as expensive as your budget will allow. You do need a razor, but vintage razors can be purchase inexpensively. You will need some way of honing your razor, but some folks use inexpensive wet/dry sandpaper and lapping films for that job. You will need a strop, but there are some vintage strops, DIY strops, or inexpensive commercial strops that will get the job done. On the other hand, if you have money to spend, you can find plenty of more expensive alternatives.

Decided to actually do the math, as I started recently and saving money is one of my motivations.

Razors: $25 (QShave Futur, Baili BD176, Weishi 9306)
Blades: $20 (100x Astra SP, plus a variety of samples)
Brush: $10 (Omega travel boar)
Soap: $5 (2x palmolive stick)
Misc. stands and storage: $10
Alum stick: $2

For a total of $72. This is probably more than I thought I'd spend, but I was bitten by cheap razor RAD. Hoping I can stay strong from now on, and just order a big box of Arko and blades to be set for many years forward.

Too much... lol

Yet I spent around $100 this past week on stuff (including a 41 Ranger Tech and prewar Milord).

Bad news is the starter in my truck went bad so probably going to have to sell off some stuff...was planning to eventually to get rid of duplicates/similar items or things that just aren't for me, but was hoping I could put that money into more shaving gear.

Oh well!

Last edited:
I have an Excel file that began a few years ago on my spending. The amount has always surprised me even with sales of shaving gear being deducted. As far as items in my den now I'm at a level c.

If i knew in the beginning of this journey what I know now I could have saved a lot of $$. But hey, I've found what works for me and it has been super fun doing so. At this point I can live with what I have and be extremely happy. 2 razors, handful of soaps and a handful of brushes. Soap is the hard part. Just ordered 2 more of one of my favorite bases. Thank goodness for B&B and the Gentlemen here willing to give years of experience/recomendations to us pleebs!

I’m on level C I believe if not I’m pretty close to it... and if I knew then what I know now I’d definitely only be level B at most with full kit

I use a nifty spreadsheet graciously provided by @Canadian Mountain Man that I’ve invested some time in and it details each and every purchase I’ve made and categorizes them into money spent on razors, soaps, aftershaves etc. No comment on the category I’m in! Let’s just say the spreadsheet put it all in perspective!

Taking what I paid for stuff and not adjusting for what my kit would be worth today on the 2nd hand market, I am at around $6000-6500

Whether you have paid a few ten-spots or several thousand does not matter. What matters is that you have gotten enjoyment from your purchases and don't have the debt collector or your spouse/significant other threatening legal action or bodily harm.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Maybe there should be a separate category for collectors - which is a fine hobby, but skews the numbers.

I'm not a collector. I have a collection, but it was a means to and end: finding my favorites. Timing makes a difference as well. I purchased my Wolfman back when they were around $150 US.

Maybe there should be a separate category for collectors - which is a fine hobby, but skews the numbers.

I'm not a collector. I have a collection, but it was a means to and end: finding my favorites. Timing makes a difference as well. I purchased my Wolfman back when they were around $150 US.
I am no collector either, just been at it for a while and have broad interests. It all gets used, just less frequently than most.

Agreed that how much you spend is irrelevant as long as your kits does what you need it to do. That would fall into the same category as YMMV etc and should be applied to every comment on B&B

I am C level, uppish sort of a position. Divided by number of years it seems fairly reasonable. And with time it will be even more reasonable if I am to maintain same course. Guilty of spending on relatively expensive stuff though.

Razors +/- €30
Aftershaves +/- €100
Soaps +/- €40
Blades +/- €80 (incl. 16 Mach 3 carts)
Brushes +/- €50

Last edited:

I'm not a collector. I have a collection,

In my mind, a collector is someone who purchases things to admire or to sell in the future at a profit. I purchase razors, strops, brushes, soaps, etc. because I enjoy using them. Thus, I have collections of each of these items, but I have no intention of selling any of them until I am no longer able to hold a razor in my cold, lifeless hand.

I like to cook. Have some decent knives and a number of good pots and pans. Most were bought on sale. Be that as it may, the one time I began adding up the acquisition cost, I was stunned. Truly.

Well, heck, you have to spend money on something.

Top Bottom