What's new

$ invested in shaving kit

How much $ do you have tied up in shaving gear?

• A.) Less than $200 in razors, brushes, soaps, blades, AS

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • B.)$200 - $399 in razors, brushes, soaps, etc.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • C.) $400 - $999 invested in shaving kit

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • D.) $1000 -$2500. Enjoying it, too!

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • E.) More than $2500, maybe a lot more.

Votes: 20 19.8%

• Total voters
This can be a cheap hobby. You can save money. Or not. Consider the $ you have tied up in soaps, brushes, AS, razors, blades, and such. Are you in the Bargain Basement, or hangin' in the VIP lounge?

I might be under $200, but went with the next bracket, because it would be close and I don't want to do the math. :)

I went with $400-999. Actual shaving gear pretty minimal and cheap but a few Japanese sharpening stones give things a boost.

The purchase of some modern razors such as the Rockwell S, ATT S1, Timeless, Karve, and Mergress razors as well as four Paladin brushes as well as 27 other brushes pushed my purchases to close to $2,500.

I'm also in the $400-999 range and more likely less than $600 but will say that for the most part I am set to last for the next couple years without having to spend anything else. My 2 Timeless razors will last a lifetime and then some, 6 soaps will last well into 2021, and enough blades to last 8-10 yrs. I'm thinking if I have to buy anything in the next couple years it would be for aftershave only...

What about your straights? I know you’ve got a couple of those.

I admit I did not understand the OP. I thought they were asking how much I have tied up in a combination of razors, blades, brush, and soap. So, was trying to show how little is necessary.

Yes, a few old 100 year old straights.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm solidly in the B group. I've spent more money on soaps than anything else.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

I dont remember offhand what the total cost of my Grande was, but it was close enough to $50 to call it that. Under CAD$100 for the best DE razor made in my opinion and 200 of one of the best blades made, and you're good for ten years.

If I was doing it all again I'd have just bought an MMOC and been done with it for even less cost. I dont personally think of shaving as a hobby but I understand many do. I think of it as a job that needs to be done regularly and like any other job, I want the best tool for the job I'm giving it.

If saving money is truly your goal, I think a man could be well set for a lifetime for less than $200 including blades and soap.

The problem is when you get into the specialty soaps, etc. If you stick with the traditional soaps, you can save a lot of money, but it wouldn’t be as much fun.

Everyone values things differently. It is not wrong unless you are failing to meet your other responsibilities.

I'm in the last group (E). But not A LOT more.

proxy.php

$ invested in shaving kit
My current shaving kit cost me close to CAD400. I use my shaving kit every other day most of the time but in spring and summer months I may use it every day.
How much $ do you have tied up in shaving gear?
Way over CAD3000. Stainless razors aren't cheap. Neither some of the badger brushes.
This can be a cheap hobby...
Certainly is a cheap hobby, for me at least.

...You can save money. Or not...
One can certainly choose from frugal to extravagant. And still get much better shaves than using modern can and plastic gear.

...Consider the $ you have tied up in soaps, brushes, AS, razors, blades, and such. Are you in the Bargain Basement, or hangin' in the VIP lounge?
I consider myself somewhere in between, definitely not playing with the big boys in the VIP lounge. Just have other priorities at the moment and difficult to catch up.
One thing for certain, I really enjoy every shave. Starting the day with something I enjoy for 30min is really important for me. Then follow with a second cup of coffee while reading the news and chatting with family. Priceless.

And things are getting better for us by the look of it. Online stores are thriving and new products are being released every day. Good times to be a wet shaver for sure.

C. Began buying stuff in 2016 and my den is quite modest with no high-end products yet. Trying to pace myself and enjoy a guilt free experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom