What's new

$ invested in shaving kit

How much $ do you have tied up in shaving gear?

• A.) Less than $200 in razors, brushes, soaps, blades, AS

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • B.)$200 - $399 in razors, brushes, soaps, etc.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • C.) $400 - $999 invested in shaving kit

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • D.) $1000 -$2500. Enjoying it, too!

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • E.) More than $2500, maybe a lot more.

Votes: 20 19.8%

• Total voters
My first DE was ~$20 and came with 25 or so blades. The second and last one i bought, does the job well so no interest in another - $50, three brushes - $5, $15, $25, #2 gets most use, 2 tubs of Proraso - $20, tub of Maca Root - $15, bottle of Thayer's - $15, Alum block - $6, 3P cream - $16, Proraso pre -$12, maybe a dozen blades on hand, no hurry to get more, months left there, package of cotton make up pads - 80 for $4.

A crack under $200 does the chore, only spend when i run out of what i have already.
dave

I admit I did not understand the OP. I thought they were asking how much I have tied up in a combination of razors, blades, brush, and soap. So, was trying to show how little is necessary.

Yes, a few old 100 year old straights.
Lol not trying to call you out my friend, I legitimately thought I was going bonkers!

Less than $200 here, around $100. I'm just starting, but I could have saved at least $20 if it wasn't for my inexperience. I bought a few things that are not even worth giving away, I'll replace them as soon as I find something better.

6D66ADCF-7544-4091-AF2F-914A98218F6C.gif

Last edited:
The purchase of some modern razors such as the Rockwell S, ATT S1, Timeless, Karve, and Mergress razors as well as four Paladin brushes as well as 27 other brushes pushed my purchases to close to $2,500.
I didn't add the soaps and creams. Adding software I am over $2,500.

This can be a cheap hobby. You can save money. Or not. Consider the $ you have tied up in soaps, brushes, AS, razors, blades, and such. Are you in the Bargain Basement, or hangin' in the VIP lounge?

Cheap is relative. When I used cartridges, I went through maybe 14 a year. That’s less than $30 in cartridges (I buy them in bulk) and maybe another $6-8 in foam. So even if I save half the cost by switching to DE, that’s a whopping $20 a year.

It’s not about the money. It’s about the experience.

I don’t want to know the answer!! :a17::a17:

Regardless, the total is far less than I have spent on any of my other hobbies.

I evaluate various shaving equipment, supplies, and techniques in the search of the perfect shave. I evaluate razors (both DE and straight), DE blades, hones (synthetic and natural), strops, brushes (from inexpensive boars to premium badgers), soaps and creams. I have spent hundreds of dollars in each of those categories, a few thousand in total. Sure, I could get by with a single DE razor, a single brush, and a soap or two, but where is the adventure in that. For me, it is the experience and what I learn from that experience.

I'm at about $500, but my ATT with M1/R1 baseplates is half of that. About a third of it is in consumables, like soap, cream, aftershave, etc., so I tend not to count that. On the other hand, I probably should count it since I never used those things before DE...I just used a cart in the shower after soaping up my face. Makes me shudder to think about it...

Well reading this forum, it will be a miracle if I don't reach the top levels in two - three years. However I don't think I am at B yet, but I think this forum fuels a lot of thoughts in our conscience and we end up buying stuff.

I made a spreadsheet to track how much I was spending, and to attempt to curb unnecessary purchases. For some reason, it's still not as convincing as FREE SHIPPPING!!!! How much I've saved with that....

Well reading this forum, it will be a miracle if I don't reach the top levels in two - three years. However I don't think I am at B yet, but I think this forum fuels a lot of thoughts in our conscience and we end up buying stuff.

You can purchase a lot of stuff for personal evaluation or you can read reviews written by others to narrow down what you purchase. I like doing both. By reading reviews, I can get a pretty good feel for what will work for me and what won't. If I know what people are looking for, I can make a decent recommendation. Some people do not really know what they are looking for.

However, in some cases, there seem to be huge differences in opinions on products.

Some soaps like Williams Mug Soap, Tabac, and MWF seem to have admirers and haters, but few in between. Thus, I purchase products like these for my own evaluation, knowing there is a good chance I won't like them.

I found Williams to be an decent soap considering the cheap price point; it certainly won't compete with my better soaps in either scent or performance. For those on a budget, it is a decent alternative to more expensive soaps.

I hated the scent of Tabac when I first unwrapped it, but found the scent to be fairly pleasant after I aired the puck for a few weeks. Tabac was not the easiest to lather, but once lathered, it gave a great shave.

Mitchell's was difficult to lather in my hard water, but once lathered, the performance or the lather was at the elite level. I just do not have the patience to lather it.

Thus, through my personal evaluation of soaps, I now understand why some people love these soaps and some hate them. It depends on what you value most.

I made a spreadsheet to track how much I was spending, and to attempt to curb unnecessary purchases. For some reason, it's still not as convincing as FREE SHIPPPING!!!! How much I've saved with that....

Oh, good point. Who hasn't acquired an extra AS, brush, or puck, or razor to qualify for free shipping?! Guilty!

I know I would have been in bracket B when I first started buying shaving gear. Just checked my stock and I'm in bracket A. I've finished a lot of product and have PIFed a few. So I currently don't have much $ tied up in my shaving gear.

Top Bottom