What's new

Introducing The VADER . a new quarterly "restraint" with a twist

The First ever VADER …a quarterly “restraint” with a twist.
Are you a collector of various shaving soaps, razors orbrushes? Does the idea of a COLD TURKEYrestraint terrify you but you know you need to set limits? Did you TRY arestraint and FAIL? Maybe you don’t need a restrain you are just looking for away to make it all a little more fun? Then this Various Addiction Disorder Enablersanti-Restraint (VADER) is for you!

Welcome to the 2016 Q1 VADER

The rules aresimple.
1. You may buy or trade any shave related productor service during the VADER but you must remain within your VADER budget. Every dime spent, including tax and shipping,counts toward your VADER expenses. Everydime earned from selling or returning a shaving related item adds to your VADERbudget. Your NET expenses for the VADERperiod must not exceed your pre-established VADER budget …EVER.

2. GIFT cards CAN be spent like free funds …Hey,it’s like winning the lottery, go spend it!

3. Sample it if you got it! You may always sample ortest drive any item purchased, regardless of who it is for. BUT, unless it is part of one of theexceptions, the expense counts toward your VADER budget.

4. Post –Restraint Treewhaling counts toward yourVADER budget. Regardless of the lengthof restraint you might have been participating in, ALL restock/treewhalepurchases count toward your VADER budget. *This is an excellent way to avoid to “rebound purchases” following arestraint in which you avoided all purchases.

5. eBay purchases (or sales) must be completedduring the VADER period to count. Thismeans bidding on an item that will be won (or sold) after the VADER will notimpact your budget.

6. Posting of “scores” on “The Score” thread ishighly encouraged.

*Exceptions:
Members may make the following purchases without affectingyour VADER Budget (reselling these items will not add to your budget either)
1. B&B group Buys or B&B branded shavingpurchases. These items must beadvertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to the spirit of the VADER (you know, honorthe force), these purchases must be made with reckless abandon. BUY anything and everything that supports,promotes or just makes you think about B&B.

2. Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the VADERbudget, regardless of when they are purchased or for what amount.

3. PIF’s. Any expense incurred as a result of a B&B member PIF areexempt. PIFing and item does not add toyour VADER Budget. Any items purchasedSPECIFICALLY for the purpose of a PIF (such as the ongoing Active Duty MilitaryPIF) are excluded from the VADER Budget.

4. Shipping expenses related to B&B passarounds are excluded from your VADER Budget (as are any expenses incurred inthe furthering of the friendly culture of B&B - Use your own judgement here)
The VADER is perfect for those looking to bring some sanityback to their wild acquisition disorders by establishing a budget and making itfun to stick to. The VADER is a greataccompaniment to longer restraints that may allow exceptions and restocking; you will still have to comply with the originalrestraint but you may be able to curtail your overall treewhalingoverindulgence.
Everybody gains a little bit over the holidays, don’t letyour failure in other restraints get you down. Join the darkside, join the VADER and spend, spend, spend, …within yourbudget.
How to Joint theQuarterly VADER:
Add your name to the list (copy the most current version andadd your name) AND indicate what Acquisition Disorders are covered by yourbudget. You may choose to show yourbudget, and even keep us updated on your budgets progress, but there is norequirement to do so. You might chooseto keep your budget private and ONLY update us as to what percent of youroriginal budget you have spent or have left.
Say a private pledge to promising to adhere to your budget(under penalty of heavy Vegitalapplication) and you’re in.
I will do my best to update the list and monitorprogress. This is my first attempt atsuch a task so any others who want to assist are welcome.
This VADOR will run January 1, 2016 through March 31,2016. Joining early is encouraged but toallow dropouts from other restraints (and to allow this thing to get going) wewill allow members to join ANYTIME before the end of the quarter and set yourbudget accordingly. (If all goes well, we will run another quarterly or evenlonger VADER)

*Since this is my first attempt at something like this, if I have stepped on toes, breached protocol or just plain used the word "VADER" without permission, I apologize.

On the off chance I am the only one fool enough to join the 2016 Q1 VADER, I will post my progress anyway!

The List
1)CBLindsay $200budget for ALL shaving Items (no NIB, Brown Leaf or Bourbon limits)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Sounds rather interesting, although I have two questions first:
1) Since most countries have their own version of a dollar, what currency is implied?
2) How long is the budget for? Is it just the quarter, or a full year?

This VADER will only last until March 31, 2016. If this works out we can either extend for the remainder of the year or keep it as a quarterly.

All personal budgets will be in YOUR own currency or what ever currency you make your purchases in. HINT of you are in a country with HUGE import taxes or sales taxes,adjust your budget accordingly.

Hi,

Looks like the oddball issue where spaces magically disappear while typing was operating during the original post.....

And, I see where Darth Dogg is already contemplating his falling out from the year-long! :lol:

Stan

Hi,

Looks like the oddball issue where spaces magically disappear while typing was operating during the original post.....

And, I see where Darth Dogg is already contemplating his falling out from the year-long! :lol:

Stan

Actually I am using this to not fall down the nib path.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm thinking about starting a new group myself: BADBBOY (buy any darn B&B object youwant). :w00t:

Anyone in the group who spends less than $500 a year on products will be subject to sever ridicule!

Just to clarify for me;

Essentially, this is a restraint except instead of a restriction on all and any shaving items the restriction is staying within a set budget, which is applied to whatever item(s) the participant chooses. Correct? For example, if one does not spend a lot of money on soaps/creams but spends a lot of money on aftershaves, they would restrain themselves on aftershaves, but not soaps/creams.

Just to clarify for me;

Essentially, this is a restraint except instead of a restriction on all and any shaving items the restriction is staying within a set budget, which is applied to whatever item(s) the participant chooses. Correct? For example, if one does not spend a lot of money on soaps/creams but spends a lot of money on aftershaves, they would restrain themselves on aftershaves, but not soaps/creams.

Generally YES. The VADER is a NET budget based restraint. YOU set the budget, YOU set the category(s) being restrained (if nothing is specified it will be assumed that ALL shaving items are restrained -as in other restraints)

I'm thinking about starting a new group myself: BADBBOY (buy any darn B&B object youwant). :w00t:

Anyone in the group who spends less than $500 a year on products will be subject to sever ridicule!
2016 ...the year of VADER's and BADBBOY's. I see a spike in sales.

FYI a budget of $125+ per quarter would make any VADER a BADBBOY!

The List
1)CBLindsay $200 budget for ALL shaving Items (no NIB, Brown Leaf or Bourbon limits)
2)Kevdogg329 $50 for Shaving & Nib items (Only exception is my 2016 restraint exception, an ATT razor)
3)
4)
5)

The List
1)CBLindsay $200 budget for ALL shaving Items (no NIB, Brown Leaf or Bourbon limits)
2)Kevdogg329 $50 for Shaving & Nib items (Only exception is my 2016 restraint exception, an ATT razor)
3)WhiteWulfe $260 USD including 2016 restraint exceptions
4)
5)

Generally YES. The VADER is a NET budget based restraint. YOU set the budget, YOU set the category(s) being restrained (if nothing is specified it will be assumed that ALL shaving items are restrained -as in other restraints)

Sounds good, and count me in.

The List
3)WhiteWulfe $260 USD including 2016 restraint exceptions
4)Screech8710 $150 USD for acquisitions from antique stores and the limited replenishment of daily-use items (only if needed).
5)

Interesting concept. But not possible for this old guy. I have my hands full sticking with Haslinger's through 2016!

[MENTION=94606]BigJ[/MENTION] I like the idea of one brand for a year. I have a ton of soaps but most are one brand. Only recently did I acquire other brands (used tubs mostly) of artisan type soaps.

As we enter 2016 I really have no idea what will strike my fancy in regard to shaving den items. I do plan to learn how to use straight razors, so I may need so equipment but I don't yet feel the need to buy more straights. I have many vintage Gillette razors now, so many I can't decide which to use each morning, I am sure I will find something interesting. I have a good collection of classic barbershop scents, some favorite commercial production stuff I like and recently started toying with the idea I might like to collect some vintage Avon scents (not so much into the bottles) and maybe other unique scents from exotic places. I might need a new brush, I don't have a horse hair brush yet and my badger sheds a little.

What I do know is I enjoy the thrill of hunting for and finding things I want. I like to find bargains or hidden gems I can trade for other larger gems. For ME the VADER is about making it fun while also keeping me in check so I don't overspend no matter the bargain I find.

I like the concept a lot. I've always considered "restraint" to be separate from "abstinence".

I still think this year I'm focused on a smaller, better shave setup. Still trying to define it.

First day of VADER and I have a full budget to play with ...and nothing I MUST have. Having no need to restock/treewhale I find no urge present either.

This would be an excellent time to remind other restrain participants that VADER can be used to help control post restrain treewhaling (but where is the fun in that?)

Top Bottom