What's new

Introducing The VADER . a new quarterly "restraint" with a twist

Oh [MENTION=71834]KQY61[/MENTION] you MUST regale us with the wonderful things you purchase during your week of glorious freedom.

Will it be raw steel you plan to forge into a legendary blade, sharper than any known to man? Will it be a simple puck of Williams plucked from the shelf of the corner store and a bottle of ViJon spice from Dollar General? We want to know what Stan buys when he is FREE.

Is there still time join on the first day?

If there is I will go with:
Pepin $150 for acquisitions from antique store including 2016 restraint exceptions.

I would like to join the VADER restraints please. I have added myself and pepin from above ^ to the list if that was alright

The List

1)CBLindsay $200 budget for ALL shaving Items (no NIB, Brown Leaf or Bourbon limits)
2)Kevdogg329 $50 for Shaving & Nib items (Only exception is my 2016 restraint exception, an ATT razor)
3)WhiteWulfe $260 USD including 2016 restraint exceptions
4)Screech8710 $150 USD for acquisitions from antique stores and the limited replenishment of daily-use items (only if needed).
5)
Pepin $150 for acquisitions from antique store including 2016 restraint exceptions.
6)KCORE $30 USD for all shave related products (No Nib limits)

thank you CBLindsay this is a very cool idea of a restraint im really hoping not to spend any of my limit for Q1 but its still nice to have the option to if there is something that i need to replace

Adding myself to the list with my own twist.

The List[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/U]
1)CBLindsay $200 budget for ALL shaving Items (no NIB, Brown Leaf or Bourbon limits)
2)Kevdogg329 $50 for Shaving & Nib items (Only exception is my 2016 restraint exception, an ATT razor)
4)Screech8710 $150 USD for acquisitions from antique stores and the limited replenishment of daily-use items (only if needed).
5)
[/B]Pepin $150 for acquisitions from antique store including 2016 restraint exceptions.
7) sskim3 - $100 expanding this to not only shaving but to clothing and shoe items as well

Last edited:
The List
5)
7)Sskim3 -$100 expanding this to cover not only shaving but clothing and shoe items as well

The List
5)
7)Sskim3 -$100 expanding this to cover not only shaving but clothing and shoe items as well

So I was in Little India in Journal Square, Jersey City (in NJ) for dinner. I had time to kill and saw that the supermarket had some Indian shaving creams. I bit the bullet and picked up two tubes: Palmolive Moisturizing Deluxe and original Old Spice. So now my budget has come down to $92 since each tube was $4. Saw others but took a pass: Palmolive Lime, Old Spice Lime, Dettol, Axe Demin. Surprised that I did not see anything from Godrej.

I made two purchases this week.
The first one a VADER exempt PIF purchase of a razor from eBay. I also had a small PIF related shipping expense.

After my first week of using a strait razor I decided I would spring for some diamond lapping paste from Amazon. I had some left over gift card funds so my $21 cart checked out with a net total of $12, leaving $188 of my original budget intact.

I found out one of my two starter straights isn't exactly shave ready. Looks like it's going to be a project razor (possibly beyond my ability) so I may find myself itchin got another sometime during the VADER restraint.

If I find myself with expensive tastes I guess I'll have to sell DE or two.

Oh @KQY61 you MUST regale us with the wonderful things you purchase during your week of glorious freedom.

Will it be raw steel you plan to forge into a legendary blade, sharper than any known to man? Will it be a simple puck of Williams plucked from the shelf of the corner store and a bottle of ViJon spice from Dollar General? We want to know what Stan buys when he is FREE.

Hi,

Well, boring. I wound up buying nothing at all. The couple things I might have, were too pricey. Oh, if I spent more than a week looking, I am sure I would have found something priced right. But, as it was, I tossed in the towel a day early. So, no regaling, I am afraid....

Stan

So, I am lost here. If you are in the 2016 restraint, how can you join here. Wouldn't staying in a budget here automatically kick you out of the 2016 restraint?
Is this just a backup then?

Hi,

This one covers all subjects on B+B that might lead to an AD, such as Nib stuff. I tawt I taw a puddy tat....er....a Looney or two here with a Nib restriction.

But, yes, I suppose this one could be a fallback for Looney shaving failures.

Stan

VADER calls to everyone as Stan has said but can be a excellent accompaniment to a QUARTERLY restraint because it would set a budget on treewahaling and restocking purchases. I suppose if you have an exemption identified for your 2016 annual restraint you could set a budget for it and be part of the VADER as well. Nothing says you have to actually SPEND your budget to be part of it ...but what kind of fun is that.

Oh, while we are talking about spending money, I am seriously considering purchasing a second straight razor that could take a bite out of my budget AND I did just buy a plank of Balsa Wood to put the diamond paste I purchased on $6 (that was expensive). This brings my remaining budget to $182.

Hi,

This one covers all subjects on B+B that might lead to an AD, such as Nib stuff. I tawt I taw a puddy tat....er....a Looney or two here with a Nib restriction.

But, yes, I suppose this one could be a fallback for Looney shaving failures.

Stan

That would be me. Using this to nip the nib purchases

[MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION]
It may be worth your while to search some antique stores. Old, quality German and English blades can be found for a good price. It'll help preserve your budget.

I have not spent a single penny, yet. But I also started to grow a beard, so won't need much either. Of course, most of by budget is for finds in the wild so I'm sure I'll put a dent in it soon. Maybe I should adjust for beard care products over soaps and creams...

I bit the bullet and purchased the razor from Saraphim. Stepped up my game if you will. Sure, I could have searched local antique stores for a vintage but my local stores think vintage & antique means priceless. I'm pretty happy with my choice.

I may still sell a de razor or two to offset the cost of the new straight but that remains to be seen.
Amount of budget left after $70 straight (shipping included)...$118

So I was in Little India in Journal Square, Jersey City (in NJ) for dinner. I had time to kill and saw that the supermarket had some Indian shaving creams. I bit the bullet and picked up two tubes: Palmolive Moisturizing Deluxe and original Old Spice. So now my budget has come down to $92 since each tube was $4. Saw others but took a pass: Palmolive Lime, Old Spice Lime, Dettol, Axe Demin. Surprised that I did not see anything from Godrej.

ummmm..... all this talk about synthetic brushes made me go down the rabbit hole.

Order #1
Maggards Synthetic Shaving Brush - Purple Swirl Handle LOOK AT THE HANDLE! HOW CAN YOU SAY NO....
Strop Shoppe LE - Vivace shaving soap TALLOW AND LANOLIN FOR PRACTICALLY 40% OFF MSRP??? (side note: after sampling some strop shoppe, i have been meaning to buy some and the price cannot be beat. I just hope the scent is worthwhile)
Damage.... $30.99 with priority shipping

Order #2 (this is a combo of things for the SWMBO and myself but still counts against my shopping)
All things from Stirling:
2 menthol lip balms
august glory lotion
vetiver witch hazel & aloe
sandalwood post shave balm
omega alum block
damage....$34.15

That leaves $24.86 until the rest of March.... FML.... I may have to sell some things to put myself in better standing....

Top Bottom