What's new

Interesting Astra SP discovery

Astra is top blade for me also, along with GSB. I don't understand what people find wrong with it. The only logical explanation is YMMV.
I just received my order of 300 Astra SPs. I also ordered 100 of the Astra SS to give them a try. Astra SP and Personna Labs are both great blades for the price. I think the Astras are a bit sharper but the Personnas a tad smoother, but I could live with either as my daily blade if need be.

I use the Stainless ones at times.
They are an excellent blade for my beard. Good longevity and sharp.
If I had known this when I first got into DE shaving they would be my only brand of blade. I enjoy them that much. They went below 9 bucks for 100 on Amazon prime the other day!

I have tried the Astra SP blades in various vintage Gillette razors and an EJ DE89. They performed well and gave me many a good shave. So much so that I purchased a 100 pack of them. That’s me sorted for the foreseeable

Well, I tried a nacet yesterday in the Tech razor and nacet is the one. It was smoother and very efficient. I still have four Astra and will use them, unlike last time, to see if it was a technique issue. I will be staying with this razor for a while to learn it well.

This is an interesting thread. I have not used some of blades. They sound worthwhile.

I first started with Astra SP and loved them. They were a good blade for a newbie. At that time was comparing them to Derbys. However, then I moved on and tried other samples of blades. I think the 7'oclock yellow and black are superior in sharpness and smoothness. Nacets are overall better as well. Kai blades are great but expensive.

11 months later, I decided to try Astras again. My opinion has changed. Lots of irritation and uneven shave. Not even close as enjoyable as the blades mentioned here. I will try again, but I think I just got spoiled by superior blades (no pun intended).

Astra SP blades are my go to as well. I just got an additional 100 blades. They seem to be a smooth blade with a balance towards the sharper side. I always get a close shave with the Astra's. They will be first blade up once this dreadful One Blade in February is over. Why did I ever think this contest would fun!

Techs need a sharper blade. GSBs are great in razors that need a smoother blade, like a vintage adjustable. Astra SPs work in just about any razor for me, they are my workhorse blade.

This is my experience with Astra SPs as well. I have four Gillette razors, a Slim Adjustable (usually used on 5 or 6), a pre-war Tech, a British New, and a British 77. I have a drawer full of blades that will work well in open comb but not solid bar, or solid bar but not open comb, but Astra SPs will work like a champ in all my razors. (The only other blade I also say this about is Treet Falcon, a carbon steel blade.)

I'm a fan! I go back and fourth for my face but for my head the Astra works so much better. I also go to the Astra's when I want a shave as close as I can get it. I get a lot less irritation when having to drag the razor across my face numerous times to get to BBS.

Well, I tried a nacet yesterday in the Tech razor and nacet is the one. It was smoother and very efficient. I still have four Astra and will use them, unlike last time, to see if it was a technique issue. I will be staying with this razor for a while to learn it well.

This is an interesting thread. I have not used some of blades. They sound worthwhile.
I'm also a fan of the Nacet. It sounds like you're fine-tuning your technique & finding the right blade for you. The Tech sure is a great razor!

Astra is a sharp blade but pretty rough, there must be a reason why Astra is one of the cheapest Gillette blades. IMO

The Astra Razor blade is now made in Russia with the same machinery that used to make Gillette Personna blades in the United States. I don't mean copied assembly lines. I mean the actual machines. What happens is P&G makes an assembly line and writes the whole thing off as a capital investment. Then newer and faster machines come along. Because time and space is so expensive, they rang up Ivan in Russia and said, "How about we gift you these machines, and you make Personna blades over there and stamp Astra on them. We will collect some royalties." The same thing happened with Wilkinson Blades in India. People in other countries are masters at fixing older machines because they saved the cost of buying them. They sell in quantity, so they don't compete with Gillette blades. The people who buy 5 packs of Gillette Personnas won't change their habits.

Functionally, there are only about five major manufacturers of razor blades in the world that are made on the old machines other companies used to own. The reason there are functionally only five major manufacturers is there are only about five different types of machines out there in widespread use.

The same thing happens with many types of products. The Oil of Olay from P&G has exactly the same formula as other less expensive brands. People won't cross the cost boundary because they don't want a cheap brand on their sink.

The Astra Razor blade is now made in Russia with the same machinery that used to make Gillette Personna blades in the United States. I don't mean copied assembly lines. I mean the actual machines. What happens is P&G makes an assembly line and writes the whole thing off as a capital investment. Then newer and faster machines come along. Because time and space is so expensive, they rang up Ivan in Russia and said, "How about we gift you these machines, and you make Personna blades over there and stamp Astra on them. We will collect some royalties." The same thing happened with Wilkinson Blades in India. People in other countries are masters at fixing older machines because they saved the cost of buying them. They sell in quantity, so they don't compete with Gillette blades. The people who buy 5 packs of Gillette Personnas won't change their habits.

Functionally, there are only about five major manufacturers of razor blades in the world that are made on the old machines other companies used to own. The reason there are functionally only five major manufacturers is there are only about five different types of machines out there in widespread use.

The same thing happens with many types of products. The Oil of Olay from P&G has exactly the same formula as other less expensive brands. People won't cross the cost boundary because they don't want a cheap brand on their sink.
[Because time and space is so expensive, they rang up Ivan in Russia and said, "How about we gift you these machines, and you make Personna blades over there and stamp Astra on them. We will collect some royalties."]

Which Personna blades are being replicated? Personna Lab Blue, Personna Med, Personna Red, etc.. There are several different types of Personna blades. Are you saying they are all on the same equipment? Because each Personna sub brand blade feels different.

Which Personna blades are being replicated? Personna Lab Blue, Personna Med, Personna Red, etc.. There are several different types of Personna blades. Are you saying they are all on the same equipment? Because each Personna sub brand blade feels different.

Good question. The different Personna blades probably vary based on the coating on the edge or slight differences in other characteristics. There will be slight differences. When those machines are eventually given away, they will still be making Personna blades, but they will have a different name.

I'm also a fan of the Nacet. It sounds like you're fine-tuning your technique & finding the right blade for you. The Tech sure is a great razor!
My technique has improved immensely. The prewar Tech is the best I have used. It's quite smooth. I still use the Rockwell but all my other razors sit there. I also fine tuned my soap. Soap really affects my shave and skin.

The Astra Razor blade is now made in Russia with the same machinery that used to make Gillette Personna blades in the United States. I don't mean copied assembly lines. I mean the actual machines. What happens is P&G makes an assembly line and writes the whole thing off as a capital investment. Then newer and faster machines come along. Because time and space is so expensive, they rang up Ivan in Russia and said, "How about we gift you these machines, and you make Personna blades over there and stamp Astra on them. We will collect some royalties." The same thing happened with Wilkinson Blades in India. People in other countries are masters at fixing older machines because they saved the cost of buying them. They sell in quantity, so they don't compete with Gillette blades. The people who buy 5 packs of Gillette Personnas won't change their habits...

Gillette went to those countries for two reasons:

1. cheaper labor (which we all knew)

2. almost all foreign countries have huge import tariffs, so if Gillette makes the blades IN country they avoid that as well as employ workers from said country. A "win win" for Gillette and the "host" country. It's business.

I don't know where you got your info from, but I find it incredible to believe.

Top Bottom