What's new

Interesting Astra SP discovery

I am in the process of testing and getting used to my newly acquired prewar tech razor. I have had two shaves and tried two blades. The first was a GSB. The shave was good but I thought maybe it could be better. I want sure if the blade and razor were a match. I did some research on B&B and found blades people like with their techs. Nacets and voskhods were there as were Astra SP. I have the first two and was going to use a Nacet but I received one pack of Astra SP blades with the razor. People raved how that was the blade. Every time I tried the astra I hated it. I mean hated it. I figured why not try it. How could they all be wrong.

The first thing I noticed, as compared to the GSB, was it seemed thinner. Maybe it wasn't but to my eye it was. I loaded the Astra SP. Wow, what a blade and shave. It was very smooth. I am going to try a nacet and voskhod but I don't know how the astra can be beat.

I did get a little irritation but I am finding i cannot be as aggressive shaving with the Tech as i can with the Rockwell so I think it was my fault and not the astra.

Thanks.

Astra is a sharp blade but pretty rough, there must be a reason why Astra is one of the cheapest Gillette blades. IMO

I rotate between Astra SP, Nacet and SharpEdge Yellow. They're all sharp and it's hard to pick one that's significantly better than the others.

Astra is a sharp blade but pretty rough, there must be a reason why Astra is one of the cheapest Gillette blades. IMO
That was my first experiences. I actually tossed my test pack a couple of years ago. Voskhods are pretty cheap too but I do like them. I will admit, I like nacet more but I use them. Voskhods are great in my slant. I would never try astras.

That has not been my experience and it has a good balance of sharpness, smoothness and longevity. The pricing may be due to its popularity and hence faster turnaround but that is anecdotal.

Techs need a sharper blade. GSBs are great in razors that need a smoother blade, like a vintage adjustable. Astra SPs work in just about any razor for me, they are my workhorse blade.

GSBs are slightly better than Astra SPs imo. But I opted for 100pk of each. I've started to like Feathers but they lack longevity and too pricey. Voskhods are below the Astra SPs. They are just okay, not nearly as good.

I knew that Astra's were made in the same factory but I never knew that Astra's were a Gillette blade... Why is it they don't say Gillette anywhere on the blade or the package? Don't all other Gillette blades carry the Gillette name on the blade, package, or both?

I knew that Astra's were made in the same factory but I never knew that Astra's were a Gillette blade... Why is it they don't say Gillette anywhere on the blade or the package? Don't all other Gillette blades carry the Gillette name on the blade, package, or both?
Perma Sharp and Polsilver another example of Gillette blades without saying Gillette on the packaging.
Part of cunning marketing strategy targeting customers that don’t want to be associated with Gillette brand.

Perma Sharp and Polsilver another example of Gillette blades without saying Gillette on the packaging.
Part of cunning marketing strategy targeting customers that don’t want to be associated with Gillette brand.
Just because a blade is made in the Gillette factory, (actually PPI factory), doesn't make it a Gillette blade!! That would explain why none that you mention are not Gillette blades as none of them bare the Gillette name of trademark...

I find Astra SPs are my go to blade followed by Feathers. If anyone is interested, Amazon Prime has 300 Astra SP on sale for $25. Sold by Super Safety Razors. This is the second time ordering from them.

Astra is top blade for me also, along with GSB. I don't understand what people find wrong with it. The only logical explanation is YMMV.

Just because a blade is made in the Gillette factory, (actually PPI factory), doesn't make it a Gillette blade!! That would explain why none that you mention are not Gillette blades as none of them bare the Gillette name of trademark...
Gillette owns several DE manufacturing plants, at least one in Russia and one in India. Astra is an originally Czech brand they acquired, and production was moved to the St. Petersburg plant owned by Gillette.
Permasharp. These blades were originally made by a Turkish company called Permatik Celik Sanayi. Gillette bought the company and in 2003 moved production of the DE blades to St Petersburg.
Polsilver Super Iridium blades are made in St. Petersburg in Russia under the Gillette licence. Originally they were made in Poland with the name Wizamet. A few years ago Gillette bought the company and tranfered the plant in Russia under the name Polsilver.

####
What is the difference to you in blades, both made in the same facility by the same people, one has Gillette logo another hasn’t? Just curious.

Top Bottom