What's new

Interesting Astra SP discovery

What is the difference to you in blades, both made in the same facility by the same people, one has Gillette logo another hasn’t? Just curious.
As I said in my previous post, just because its made in the same plant doesn't mean its a Gillette blade and even though they bought the rights doesn't mean its a Gillette blade... There is no trade mark or the word Gillette anywhere on the blade, tuck, or carton which would tell me its not a Gillette blade!! That was the only point I was making... To top it off there is no Gillette factory...its the PPI factory, (Petersburg Products Int'l)...

As an example, Lucky Charms are made in the same factory as Cheerios but that don't make them Cheerios, it makes them Lucky Charms because they're made in the General Mills plant!!

Astra SP is my workhorse blade. It has worked well in every vintage Gillette I have tried it in. I have also used it in several modern razors and it has delivered. BBS shaves and budget friendly, is a win/win for me.

Astra SP blades are my go to as well. They are the blade of choice when trying a new razor or soap, and are the comparison for other blades.

Agreed. For me Astra is rough and unforgiving blade, I could get by if no other blades existed. Luckily there are over hundred different types to choose from.
On the bright side Astra is cheap, but you get what you paid for. Smooth and Astra is not existent in my book of shaves.IMO

Interesting comments.

I'd say that it's one of the few blades that if it gets discontinued, most people in this hobby will go mad. I live for this day.

Interesting comments.

I'd say that it's one of the few blades that if it gets discontinued, most people in this hobby will go mad. I live for this day.
That's interesting. I know when the whole polsilver discontinuation thing pops its head, a couple times per year, panic mode seems to start quickly. That would be an a nice comparison to watch.

I have ~200 atm, but I wouldn't buy more if I heard they would get discontinued. Gillette Platinum will be my replacement pick.

I have 1100 of them, meaning 11 boxes, but I'd probably buy a few more in case it gets discontinued. I don't know. They make a good match with many razors.

Perma Sharp and Polsilver another example of Gillette blades without saying Gillette on the packaging.
Part of cunning marketing strategy targeting customers that don’t want to be associated with Gillette brand.

The current production Perma-Sharps have "Gillette" prominently printed on the packaging as shown below.

download.jpeg

This is Perma Sharp Super I have.
proxy.php

My mistake - you're correct. I just took delivery of 1,000 Perma-Sharps and the boxes match your first photo - the word "Super" no longer appears anywhere. However, my opinion (and the statements of more than one vendor) that the blade is the same and the only change is in the packaging still stands. I have thousands of the "old" PPI Perma-Sharp Supers and I've been shaving with them daily for almost 10 years, and there's no difference between those and the current stock.

Top Bottom