What's new

Incremental step/s after a Merkur 34C?

Hi all,

I've been a member a year, but went and got married last year, then work got crazy. I'd had a beard for years and now prefer to keep clean shaven. London Lockdown has me needing things to enjoy, and I'm hoping the next razor purchase will be something that fits the bill.

I'm a big fan of the British made Super Sword Edge blades, and have stocked up on these from a number of eBay sales in the last year after testing out a few vintage blades.

Years and years ago, after Mach 3, I started with a dovo straight razor - too hard to master when I was in my late teens/early 20s. Back to cartridges on and and for a couple of years, and then I was given a Merkur 42C a couple of years ago, and have now stepped up to the 34C as I prefer the shorter handle. This has been the daily driver for a while now.

I don't feel the need to go with an adjustable comb as yet, but I'm aware the 34C is not known for being aggressive - a beginner's razor.

Any suggestions for the next step?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Based on your experience with the 34c, would you prefer more blade feel or less? A more aggressive shave or less? All of that can help the rest of us make a recommendation.

My 2p: depends on what you’re after, but something adjustable or customisable might be the logical next step while you refine your tastes and decide exactly what you like or dislike. I personally went from a Merkur 15c to the Rockwell 6S. If not the 6S, you could get the 6C, the Merkur Futur or something else. Of course, if you know exactly what you like, go for it.

I was gifted a Gillette New Short Comb (1931).
It changed my ideas about the mild-aggressive discussion. The design of this razor and the Techs that followed increased blade rigidity and created mild, comfortable, and close shaving razors. These can be found at affordable prices on the bay.
If you want to try something new, I’d recommend either Gillette New Type or a Gillette Tech. (YMMV)

Based on your experience with the 34c, would you prefer more blade feel or less? A more aggressive shave or less? All of that can help the rest of us make a recommendation.

I'd call the 34C a pretty mild shave, so would be comfortable looking toward something more aggressive.

My 2p: depends on what you’re after, but something adjustable or customisable might be the logical next step while you refine your tastes and decide exactly what you like or dislike.

One thing about the 34C, that fiddly collar piece... that's something I don't like in terms of things which could go wrong or get lost, and I get the impression that when we mix in adjustability, that could be an issue. Trying to keep design simple. I've got a similar philosophy about other tool items I own, the less that there is to go wrong with it, the less that can go wrong with it.

I was gifted a Gillette New Short Comb (1931).
It changed my ideas about the mild-aggressive discussion. The design of this razor and the Techs that followed increased blade rigidity and created mild, comfortable, and close shaving razors. These can be found at affordable prices on the bay.

Out of interest, against which other razors do you regard this as being mild? Trying to get my bearings on consensus here.

A Gillette Slim Adjustable is an excellent, inexpensive razor that will give you a lot of options. Another vintage favorite of mine is the Aristocrat. Being in the UK, you might have access to the coveted British models. The ones with the combs are supposed to be more aggressive. But the American made ones are mid-aggression, slightly more than the 34c. The '46-'47 is a bit more aggressive than the '48 model. They have a very posh look and feel.

I'd call the 34C a pretty mild shave, so would be comfortable looking toward something more aggressive.

One thing about the 34C, that fiddly collar piece... that's something I don't like in terms of things which could go wrong or get lost, and I get the impression that when we mix in adjustability, that could be an issue. Trying to keep design simple. I've got a similar philosophy about other tool items I own, the less that there is to go wrong with it, the less that can go wrong with it.

Out of interest, against which other razors do you regard this as being mild? Trying to get my bearings on consensus here.

I do.
I have a lighter beard with fine hair that likes to lie flat against my face. Both razors are more efficient than my 34 HD and are at least as mild. I still own the 34 HD and it is a fine razor.
My preference has changed to a smaller blade gap and a more rigid locked down blade.

Let me throw in a vote for the Game Changer .84-p. I have also used a 34c. The GC is nice step up from the 34c. It is so smoothe and efficient. It's just a good comfortable shave.

Years and years ago, after Mach 3, I started with a dovo straight razor - too hard to master when I was in my late teens/early 20s. Back to cartridges on and and for a couple of years, and then I was given a Merkur 42C a couple of years ago, and have now stepped up to the 34C as I prefer the shorter handle. This has been the daily driver for a while now.

I don't feel the need to go with an adjustable comb as yet, but I'm aware the 34C is not known for being aggressive - a beginner's razor.

Any suggestions for the next step?
The Merkur 34C (42C uses the same head) is not just for novices, it serves the experienced shaver just as well. Good technique will get the best out of any razor when paired with your favourite blade.
The next step should be an open comb like the Fatip {Piccolo or Grande} which has more blade exposure but requires good technique. You also have the choice of the Fatip Piccolo special edition {black chrome and gold} which includes two base plates; available from A..zon UK for £26.91 delivered. This is fantastic value for money at the moment.
IMG_1136b.JPGIMG_1107b.JPG

Last edited:
First, IMO the 34C is a very fine razor in the mild/moderate category. It may prove hard to beat!

Two questions:
1. Vintage or modern?
2. Budget?

Then we can provide more specific suggestions.

First, IMO the 34C is a very fine razor in the mild/moderate category. It may prove hard to beat!

Two questions:
1. Vintage or modern?
2. Budget?

Then we can provide more specific suggestions.

1. I would stay modern for the fact that experience has shown that scarcity/vintage status makes user items harder to come by. That said, if there are suggestions which somehow don't have this issue and are vintage, great.
2. Within reason, fairly open ended.

Hello
like you I have used the Merkur 34c for 3 or 4 years. I decided to try a new razor.
personally I chose the rockwell 6c gunmetal. it allows me to try different plates for an aggressive or gentle shave depending on the mood.
I would recommend choosing an adjustable razor to vary the types of shaving and discover your preferences before investing in artisanal razors
I think this is a good step after the 34c

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Because I've spent the last three months shaving with nothing but, I'm going to suggest you check out a few slant razors. There are some with which you'll need to exercise a bit of care, such as the RazoRock Wunderbar. Most of us have to work up to that one. But there are fairly mild slant razors out there.

The Merkur 37 or the later 37C is a good design. A bit more aggressive than the 34C/38C but perfectly controllable and gives a very smooth shave.

The Parker Semi-Slant is another inexpensive razor. It's very smooth and mild, almost deceptively so when you notice how close your shave was.

The Ikon X3 is also a fairly mild slant, with the addition of a differential head. It's "coarse" on one side and "fine" on the other.

If you're willing to go out on a limb a little farther, but not so far as a Wunderbar just yet, the ATT S2 is a great razor. I hear the S1 (the SB version of ATT's slants) is good but I have no experience with it.

O.H.

Because I've spent the last three months shaving with nothing but, I'm going to suggest you check out a few slant razors. There are some with which you'll need to exercise a bit of care, such as the RazoRock Wunderbar. Most of us have to work up to that one. But there are fairly mild slant razors out there.

The Merkur 37 or the later 37C is a good design. A bit more aggressive than the 34C/38C but perfectly controllable and gives a very smooth shave.

Without the need of involving variable settings for adjustability, I'm inclined to think that a slant may be the next step, and I'm certainly a fan of Merkur's product.

Trying my first venture beyond the 34C, what are your thoughts on the Merkurs which you've suggested (assuming you've had the pleasure of each)?

My progression:

1) 34C
2) Rockwell 6S (R3)
3) Karve SS (SB-A)

The progression favors increasing smoothness while delivering a great, comfortable shave. I don't really reach for 1) or 2) anymore.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Trying my first venture beyond the 34C, what are your thoughts on the Merkurs which you've suggested (assuming you've had the pleasure of each)?

I have a vintage 37 in good shape. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new 37C when this wandered into my sight picture. [grin] Because I can be a little obsessive, I had an email exchange with one of Merkur's design engineers to dig into the differences between the older and newer versions. The main difference, cosmetically at least, is that the older 37 has a smooth cap where the newer 37C has a scalloped cap.

I was told that the redesign to the scalloped cap happened around 1970, and that any changes to the new production versus older were to accommodate tooling changes. That tells me there isn't likely much difference to notice. About the only thing you can do to a Merkur slant to change it is to get the 39C instead of the 37C. It has a longer, heavier handle on the same head. Some say it's better, some say it's just heavier. I have a 38C (34C brother) and find I don't really like barberpole handles.

There is another option for a razor that's reportedly very close to the 37C, and that's to hit up RazoRock for a German 37. I think I saw yesterday they had heads on sale for like US$12. Their design is a three-piece, so you can add whatever handle you like. Again, having the Merkur 37 already I wasn't motivated to pick one up to try -- but that's cheap like borscht and I also can't see going too far wrong with it. May do it just to say I have...

One of the changes I habitually make to Merkur 2-piece razors is to pull the knob out and remove the split ring from it. That way I can easily take the razor apart after each use and spread it out to dry completely. I save the split ring so that I can put it back on if I sell the razor. See comment above about being obsessive sometimes.

O.H.

I personally went up to a Merkur Progress adjustable razor.

Setting 2 on mine brings the blade gap to the same as the 34c and delivered a very similar shave, with the ability to dial it up further to make it more aggressive.

A great razor and one I would highly recommend, particularly as a next step from the 34c.

Top Bottom