What's new

Imperia la Roccia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not everyones test, but that razor sure seemed to 'slide' through the paper. I noticed he made a few more passes on the stone, and sliced again. Didn't seem to be any big damage to the edge, more than a few more passes on the stone.

I think to get one Imperia as soon as i colect some money . I have Thuringians , motled franconian that is a very fast stone , rusian jasper and Lidyte but it seems very good stone , i like what i see . But unfortunately the 2 stones method is not made very well on the video and there are many mistakes that dull the edge . If they work for the guy it is ok .The problem is that many of the new guys watch this and take it for a pure gold coin .
We all see Maestro Livi and his attempts to sharpen a razor , that doesnt means that a 3 k KAI stone is bad ,i lke it .He makes pretty razors but i think that someone else have to sharpen them .
The same here we like the hone , doesnt like the honemeister technique , sorry .

OK waitaminnit! The speaker in the video says "this is Al from Big Easy Tools" and now we have "bigeasy1" commenting here and acting like he has nothing to do with the video's production. Is this malarkey or just the biggest coincidence I've seen in quite some time?

Paper test is horrible for a shaving edge.... Even with barber shears, you should not be using good ones on paper. Cellulose really knocks an edge back....

The jump from 1K to a finisher is possible, don't know about this stone at all.

The arm shave test looks bad, looks like it is still the 1K edge by the way it is cutting.

Cutting paper for the bevel set stage is interesting, probably ok if you go back and give it a few more laps on the bevel setting. Absolutely ZERO point in testing again on paper after you are "finished"

I can cut paper with my kitchen knife too, doesn't mean I want to shave with it.

Since no one responded to my question, I've since done a little searching to find out that it comes from the Imperia region of northeast Italy.

Yeah this was already mentioned several times on the boards. Actually interesting is that some Italian guys i well appreciate about their knowledge mentioned that they are not trusting too much into this statement. Especially because the stones are sold out of US and not from Italy....for me its a type of mystery until its proven in any way....

We all know how much international Shipping Costs ....just my two pence....

This has nothing to do with the perfomance, because iam also one of the guys who never tested the performance and cant take part into the discussion how its working.

Thanks, another mystery unfolds. I'm curious about it now as it is alleged to come from Italy. There was that beautiful brown Thurigian-like stone with rubber on the 'Bay that was sold two-three years ago which came from northern Italy (signed attestation by the Milanese seller), and the Italians who chimed in about it didn't seem to know about that one either. On the Shave Den forum, "Imperia la Roccia" (the member's name there) said that this particular stone or rock was from the Imperia region. Maybe he's one of the members here, and can clarify things further? Not that I know Italian, but this seems similar to the wording "Pierre la Lune" in French, "Lune" not being a terrestrial region. If it were from Imperia, wouldn't it be "Roccia di Imperia" or "Pietra di Imperia" in Italian? Or is this a catchy turn of phrase for marketing purposes?

Last edited:
After watching this vid, i think, my razors are more sharp after 1k stones, when i watch him "shaving" his arm. 2 Stone honing works with any stone i own (that is fine enough), even with a black Arkansas, just needs a "little" more time.
Using paper for sharpening tests, even makes kitchenknifes a little dull, after many attempts. For razors it is just stupid, and can instantly destroy the edge, depending on the used paper.

I got nothing to say to the Imperia Roccia hone, never tryed.

"Instantly destroy the edge?" A little hyperbolic isn't it? No one is suggesting hacking at cardboard to test the edge. I have tried this method and it is interesting and instructive--worthy of some consideration. The sound the blade makes when it tears through the paper early on in the process is very different from the smooth, quiet whisper through the paper towards the end of the process. The blade feels and sounds different; this testing engages more than one sense. This method also reveals the entire edge in a consistent predictable process.

The first time I tried it I noticed right away the heel of the blade tore at the paper even when the rest of the edge cut keenly. Either the blade was not flat and the heel was not touching the stone or, more likely, the fault was in my honing technique. I notice for some reason I need to be more careful of the heel when I hone. Since one is actually honing at the time whatever dullness was created by the paper is immediately remedied. Shaving dulls the edge. I've never had an edge "instantly destroy[ed]" by a piece of paper.

Thanks. I'm curious about it now as it is alleged to come from Italy. There was that beautiful brown Thurigian stone with rubber on the 'Bay that was sold two-three years ago which came from northern Italy (signed attestation by the Milanese seller), and the Italians who chimed in about it didn't seem to know about that one either. On the Shave Den forum, "Imperia la Roccia" (the member's name) said that it was from the Imperia region. Maybe he's one of the members here, and can clarify things further?

Yeah i would appreciate more Information as others did it here (Hatzicho with the Bavarian-Frankonian, Ekretz with the Enats, Shaun Rez Dog with the Haida Gwaii and also MichaelC with the Zulu Grey)

All information available is a Slate Stone in different Variations sold from US in a white paper Package with the writing Imperia La Rocccia and a Country Flag, Distributed by Keepsake Restaurations LLC....

From what I can tell, the seal on the box's label is taken from the City of Imperia, rather than the larger Province of Imperia, which has another seal.

I remember an Italian fellow on another forum who lives in the area saying there was no quarry where this stone was supposedly coming from, but could be he's mistaken, who knows.

That must be Bushdoctor, from Il Rasoio, who lives in Imperia. From what I could make out, he wasn't familiar with a stone from his area and supposed that either it was a repackaged Taiwanese stone or that there was someone in his area there with a cave containing homogeneous slate like the one being sold. He was going to make inquiries but doesn't seem to have followed up, at least on Il Rasoio.

Edit: I just found one of his posts on SRP, where he denies that they come from Imperia, not without criticism from one member there.

Last edited:
That must be Bushdoctor, from Il Rasoio, who lives in Imperia. From what I could make out, he wasn't familiar with a stone from his area and supposed that either it was a repackaged Taiwanese stone or that there was someone in his area there with a cave containing homogeneous slate like the one being sold. He was going to make inquiries but doesn't seem to have followed up, at least on Il Rasoio.

Edit: I just found one of his posts on SRP, where he denies that they come from Imperia, not without criticism from one member there.

Can you either cite that post or provide a link to the post?

Personally, I don't care if the stone comes from Bute, Montana. They can call it whatever they like. If it works as well as their reviews proport, I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom