What's new

Imperia la Roccia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Will but just had to Quote this.....
Probably a lot of guys posted here are very active on the Boards, they exchange Information, they write to each other, they read a lot, the stay up the night long here and many are experienced honers.

Most of them tried out a lot of stones, some of them own many many stones.....and yes its difficult to say that a stone is not good without testing it...

But we all know what has been in the past and it wasnt "that often" that new Stones were brought to the market or the forums or cheap stones have been established as high end stones, thats a fact...

I guess with the kind of criticism I've seen here, I don't imagine many new stones would stand a chance -good or not.

What you need to do, if the product you are raving about is indeed good, is please list a comparison of other stones you are undoubtedly familiar with. Please list your preferred JNats, or at least your honing progression with synthetic stones you favor. Clearly you know quite a bit about honing and natural stones, so I'm eager to see how that knowledge can translate to information we can all benefit from. So far all I know is you like the video and you have disagreed with several established members who know quite a bit about the subject. I look forward to your valuable input!

Fair enough. But I haven't really "raved" about anything. Please be fair and do not misquote me. I am here to learn not really teach. Sometimes it feels like entering a cult though, with its own self serving secret handshakes. I think it would be cool to be talented enough to hone a blade to a soft edge with only two stones. But 1) I don't have that kind of talent yet; and 2) I really love a J-NAT pre polisher I bought from Maksim some time ago. A beautiful Aiiwatani Nashiji Kiita. It prepares the blade for a thuringian or coticule in a way I don't think I could ever get from a 1K bevel setting stone. It is the one J-NAT I have that a child could use--that easy.

I tried the la Roccia and it was unusual in that it was harder than a Thuringian or a Dragon's Tongue (much harder); but very fine as well. As the SRP reviewer noted, it was like honing on glass. I think it was actually cutting longer than I thought it was with clear water. It's just an unusual stone, at a more than fair price, and I wanted a fair shake and a fair discussion.

I am far from a honemeister. But since I don't do this for a living I can take my time, a lot of time, at getting things right. Not sure how it would help to know but since you asked I have for some time now preferred Naniwa Choseras, until a J-NAT pre polisher and then a Thuringian. Although of late I am beginning to understand why the Coticule guys are such zealots. If one has the time for it, I truly learned what a soft edge is from a Coticule. But I am still testing, picking and choosing and I would rather experiment then defend some unspoken, almost religious rigidity set by a cadre with financial motives. I haven't really disagreed with established members here. I have only responded to personal attacks and unprofessional asides from the few who clearly are less interested in expanding our knowledge than in trashing people they do not know who wish to try new methodologies. What else is this forum for?

As for paper cutting; hard to explain but there is something easy within a difficult task to testing the entire edge with a consistent, predictable process that works. The somewhat hysterical and knee jerk "but it will permanently damage the blade" is silly at best. I know it is SR Orthodoxy (for which I may be tarred and feathered) but the HHT has somtimes seemed to me to be a cool parlor trick. It tests almost none of the edge. Paper cutting revealed to me that I have a problem setting the heel down squarely on the hone and I am beginning to learn when that "whisper" through the paper means I'm ready for the pre-polisher.

That's it for now. I still have miles to go...thanks for asking.

I appreciate the invitation for a real dialogue. I really do.

I guess with the kind of criticism I've seen here, I don't imagine many new stones would stand a chance -good or not.

I cant see any criticism here :) actually each person here is an own individual and decides by himself if any new Stone might be interesting to be bought. And just read the Apache Strata or Bavarian-Frankonian threads....that dark painted vision you write didnt happened here ..

Also there are peole which might not see any advantage on a certain stone and talk negative about it.

Interesting. At the risk of making myself "suspicious" to eKretz, he seems to be proclaiming that those new to the forum should be seen and not heard. They ought not to "defend something being discussed" without his direct invitation? When do new posters get to leave the kid's table? When eKretz says so?

One gets the impression you were bullied as a child. Now you get to try and create your own caste system from the relative safety of your keyboard. Was there a real argument you wish to make? Or do we just get a list of those "suspicious" (folks who disagree with you) and those who are free to join in (those who agree with you?) A little tyrant with big dreams and old scores to settle.

Seriously? You sound a lot more like somebody who would have gotten a lot of beatings as a kid, sheesh. Sound a bit trollish also.

I have seen it happen many times on many forums, guys register a separate account just to make it look like someone else is taking their side or making supporting statements.

Last edited:
This whole thread is a troll for them to sell more Roccias.

You get what you pay for. 30$ will not get you a special stone. Better off spending 60$+ on a small Jnat or coti and get some awesome performance.

This whole thread is a troll for them to sell more Roccias.

You get what you pay for. 30$ will not get you a special stone. Better off spending 60$+ on a small Jnat or coti and get some awesome performance.

I asked for a reply from SOMEONE WHO HAS USED THE STONE. When I want a biased opinion, I will ask for it. I thought I made that clear to you in my first response to you.

I asked for a reply from SOMEONE WHO HAS USED THE STONE. When I want a biased opinion, I will ask for it. I thought I made that clear to you in my first response to you.
You don't control the internet. If I want to steer people away from a bad purchase I will . You raging won't stop the free flow of information.

You can't convince me that rock is worth $30 when 60$ will get you something that works amazing.

You don't control the internet. If I want to steer people away from a bad purchase I will . You raging won't stop the free flow of information.

You can't convince me that rock is worth $30 when 60$ will get you something that works amazing.

I never tried to convince anyone of anything. This thread started because someone had specific questions about a specific stone and method of testing. You, sir, are the one trying to push a point of view based in pure ignorance. I haven't suggested that your end result isn't correct. But, you make a VERY poor argument when your logic is based in speculation and ignorance. I'm no lawyer. But, I'd be happy to face you in a courtroom if you insist on arguing from that standpoint.

Dude! Can you PLEASE stop trying to derail this thread and put your ego back in its box?????

Responding to a personal attack is well within my rights, and if you want to rag someone for derailing the thread, talk to the guy making the personal attacks - who along with yourself ought to take a moment to read the sticky titled "Straight Razors, Honing, Civility and You."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom