What's new

How high to go on synths before jumping to La Lune?

Hey all,

I pulled the trigger on the modern La Lune this week and was wondering how far you all take the edge on the synths before finishing on this stone. I've heard it cuts relatively fast and leaves a pretty sharp edge that feels harsh to some, so I was curious if 12k would be too much and I should make the jump from the 8k instead.

I plan to use Dan's honing oil and 20-30 laps for my first run.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I pulled the trigger on the modern La Lune this week and was wondering how far you all take the edge on the synths before finishing on this stone. I've heard it cuts relatively fast and leaves a pretty sharp edge that feels harsh to some, so I was curious if 12k would be too much and I should make the jump from the 8k instead.

I plan to use Dan's honing oil and 20-30 laps for my first run.

Thanks!
I would jump from the 8k and use lather on it(no slurry even though it has a slurry stone) and you probably only need 10-20 laps depending on how well your edge is done.

Depends on your stone, and your technique. Remember that they are natural stones, your stone may be very different from mine. I have several vintage La lunes and a new purchase, they are all a little different, vintage seems a bit finer.

So first, you want to “grit equivalent, rate” your stone, is it finer than a good 8k, your 8k. That will tell you a lot of what you can expect from the stone.

Hone your razor fully and put on the best 8k bevel and edge you can with your 8k. (Note there are some great 8k stones available now that were not just a few years ago).

Mark a sharpie line in the middle of your razor from spine to edge. Now hone the toe half of the razor on your La Lune, keeping the sharpie line on the edge of the stone. Put the best La lune bevel and edge you can on the toe half.

Now look at both ends, bevel and edge with magnification, literally side by side. Test shave both ends and see what you think and feel.

Results can vary, especially with a modern 8ks and as your technique progresses.

My feeling is not many La Lune are finer that 6k, but your milage will definitely vary. If your stone will not finish "better" than your 8k, what's the point?

Also note, that just because some modern 8k’s can produce near mirror bevels and super straight edge, does not mean you need to rush out and buy a new one. If you are not shaving off an 8k edge it does not matter. You can get the same results pre finishing on a Norton 8k and finishing on a Jnat or Ark.

That is why it does not matter that some stone use a different grit rating system, finer or courser. It’s the finisher and technique that matter.

I often jump to a Jnat from a King 6k.

Top Bottom