What's new

Imperia La Rocca 12 - 15k; Take # 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a fifth one to test today, same as the prior four it stalls before I can max it out. I'm done trying to figure them out.

Ok, for any who are following along, I just finished up my next test shave. I used four razors for this test - (1) a control (this was the stone owner's razor I PIF honed on my black translucent Ark) (2) the 2k to ILR glycerine slurry razor, (3) a fresh razor taken to 8k and then honed on the ILR with glycerine slurry and (4) the 2k to 5k to ILR on water & glycerine.

The first edge I tried was the #4 - 2k,5k,ILR water & glycerine. This one pulled as soon as I started my WTG pass, so it was abandoned.

Next I compared (2) & (3). These were pretty much indistinguishable both WTG and ATG in a quick test. I settled on (3) and used it to finish up the right side WTG. This edge seemed plenty keen, but needed the spine to be slightly elevated to get a close shave. Once it was elevated a bit, it cut pretty cleanly and fairly closely WTG.

Next I shaved with the control Ark-honed razor on the left side. This was sublime. Perfect smooth and close WTG shave even with the razor spine flat on my face. I am reminded every time I use this stone how much I love a good Ark edge.

After this I went back to the right side with #3 to finish up ATG. The neck area went fairly well as long as the stone was kept dead flat against my skin. Any areas that needed a little spine lift to get stubborn areas were a bit uncomfortable, but livable. Same with the cheek. Alum sting 2/10.

Going back to the right side with the control Ark-honed razor again for the ATG work resulted in an extremely close and comfortable shave. Any slightly stubborn areas that required a bit of spine lift on this side were no problem at all, resulting in zero discomfort. Alum sting 0.5/10.

Again I find that the ILR gives me a serviceable shave, but not up to snuff with the stones I consider top notch. These would be stones such as properly prepped Arks, good JNats, Vosgienne, Kuro, good Apache Strata, Escher/Thuris, good coticules, so on and so forth.

One redeeming grace of the stone is that it seems quite capable of following a bevel setter and producing a decent shaving edge on just slurry. So far I don't care for the water edges at all, with glycerine or without. Perhaps though I asked too much of the stone to follow a 5k. I will be doing one more test with an edge taken through 8k then brought to the ILR on water/glycerine.

Last edited:
I have used mine (a 12-15K ILR) mostly after my Shapton 12K (which is on a different scale and thus more like a 10K). I find it to bring a smoother feel than the Shapton.

How many laps are you doing after the 12k? I suppose I could do a double - one razor post 8k and one post 12k. Might do to add an edge finished on the 12k alone also, just for comparison.

Last edited:
Multiply your post count by 1000 in relevant and insightful posts and I may start taking photos. Ask kcb5150 how many pictures I've take of the many hones he's sent me to test, I'll save you the trouble, zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom