What's new

Imperia La Rocca 12 - 15k; Take # 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nelson, what did you find gave you the best edge? My best so far has been the slurry finished edge for sure.

OK honed up the straight water/glycerine edge and touched up the slurry edge again - this time with a twist. I added 4 drops of glycerine to the slurry after it was raised. Holy Cow! it really looks like a keen edge - almost invisible with dark field illumination. Next test shave in a day or two.

First up, Shapton Pro 2k - Suehiro 5k, ILR with water & glycerine progression.

Ring Light:
$Imperia La Roccia H20 Glycerin GD Ring Light.jpg

Scratch Enhancing Lighting:
$Imperia La Roccia H20 Glycerin GD Scratch Light.jpg

Raking Light:
$Imperia La Roccia H20 Glycerin GD Raking Light.jpg

Edge Lit/Focused:
$Imperia La Roccia H20 Glycerin GD Edge Light.jpg

And here is the touched up slurry edge, this time with 4 drops of glycerine added to the slurry. You can pretty clearly see that the abrasive particles are fairly coarse again by the deep scratches/gouges in the raking light shot. Amazingly keen looking edge though...quite the conundrum! (And yes, this is post-stropping!)

Ring Light:
$Imperia La Roccia Glycerine Slurry GD Ring Light.jpg

Scratch Enhancing Lighting:
$Imperia La Roccia Glycerine Slurry GD Scratch Light.jpg

Raking Light:
$Imperia La Roccia Glycerine Slurry GD Raking Light.jpg

Edge Lit/Focused:
$Imperia La Roccia Glycerine Slurry GD Edge Light.jpg

Last edited:
These things are completely subjective, the users ultimate results are based on what goal they are trying to achieve and how they want to achieve it. I've said it many times, I don't hone for sharpness, I hone from a prospective of refinement. The ILR many well be a very capable hone, it just doesn't fit what I do. The same was the case with the Zulu, I really tried to like it but it didn't fit what I do.

These things are completely subjective, the users ultimate results are based on what goal they are trying to achieve and how they want to achieve it. I've said it many times, I don't hone for sharpness, I hone from a prospective of refinement. The ILR many well be a very capable hone, it just doesn't fit what I do. The same was the case with the Zulu, I really tried to like it but it didn't fit what I do.

+1

I don't hone for sharpness either. I hone for comfort. And, for me, The ILR fits that role perfectly.

I wouldn't put much stock at all in eBay feedback as a review of the product. There was a seller reselling "3k" stones that chinese sellers had for <$10, calling them "Light Green Vintage Razor finishing hones" (Basically trying to make people think they were buying thuringians), with nearly 100% positive feedback from the sales, including many praising the hones. Like it or not, the vast majority of people don't know a good hone from a dachshund.

Hmm, the SRP thread is sort of half and half as far as I can tell, and the one guy saying the 12-15k stone is soft like an Escher is sort of blowing my mind. The example I have is a very hard stone. Nowhere near as soft as any of my Thuris. And sorry, but not a Facebook person. BTW, you didn't answer my latter question. How long have you owned an ILR and what do you find works best for you with it?

Sorry, didn't see those last two questions. I've had mine for about a week and a half. I followed the instructions given with the hone. I went from a Norton 1,4,and 8k to the ILR with slurry, diluting the slurry as I went. Finished with clear water. Finally, stropped with the "fire hose" type cloth.

Edited: The instructions say that this stone is capable of going from bevel set to finish. They do not say that is advised or recommended.

The razors I've used it on are: Red Imp, Dovo, and a W&B. I have had fantastic shaves from them all off this hone.

Also, these sellers aren't claiming that it's "vintage", they're not claiming anything about the stone other than that it works as advertised.

Look, I'm not here to promote this stone. I just think people should hear all sides. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... For the price/performance/size of this hone, it's a winner. That's all I've got to say about it. Peace!

Last edited:
Ahh, that is a good bit different than what I gathered was the best way to use it. I was basing that on the "easily able to follow bevel setter" statements I had been seeing - I didn't receive any kind of instructions with the stone. On my slurry edges I went to the ILR after the 2k. I will add an extra couple test edges to be thorough and take a couple razors to 8k before going to a slurry dilution finish and a full slurry finish with the ILR to see if it makes the edges any more comfortable for me. After that I'd say I've tested it pretty darned thoroughly.

I for one tend to take pretty much all reviews with a grain of salt, and so should everyone else IMO. There are so many variables between skin sensitivity, beard hair thickness and toughness, razor hardness, razor alloy etc. that it's about impossible to know for absolute certain whether a stone will work for you without trying it yourself. The "top tier" stones seem to work well for the majority of people on the majority of razors. I have tried this stone so far on GDs, a Griffon Carbo-Magnetic, (not yours Steve! My brother really does have it! Lol) and a Dovo.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't see those last two questions. I've had mine for about a week and a half. I followed the instructions given with the hone. I went from a Norton 1,4,and 8k to the ILR with slurry, diluting the slurry as I went. Finished with clear water. Finally, stropped with the "fire hose" type cloth.

The razors I've used it on are: Red Imp, Dovo, and a W&B. I have had fantastic shaves from them all off this hone.

Also, these sellers aren't claiming that it's "vintage", they're not claiming anything about the stone other than that it works as advertised.

Look, I'm not here to promote this stone. I just think people should hear all sides. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... For the price/performance/size of this hone, it's a winner. That's all I've got to say about it. Peace!

Actually if you think this way there are a lot of winners, just to mention the C12k and the Apache again....doesnt make sense to promote the "big size"...because there will be people around which do not need that huge workspace.

What was mentioned in the La Roccia Video to own a big stone for that nice price ist f.ex. Not needed for me. Paid 40usd for the Apache in a smaller size, so i come around well with that....paid 15 usd more for a Killer thuringian Bout from Hatzicho and got some nice Bavarian Frankonian Bouts which would have been in the same pricingarea...

So these are for me some very good stones, and for me the most importent, tested from people beeing long around here and which are trustful for me...

I agree completely Sebastian. I would rather have a 4" x 1" stone of high quality material than an 8" x 3" hone with mediocre properties. The size doesn't change the resulting edge but the qualities of the stone do.

If you are happy with a smaller stone you can get a jnat, thuri, coticule or even apache bout for within $10 of an ILR. Different stones but within a few weeks of owning the Welsh slates I had already upgraded to a Jnat because I was tired of average results. For those that need a perfectly square brand new stone and value that more than it's performance the ILR is a good option.

For the record I don't think a bunch of feedback from people buying their first hone constitutes "glowing reviews". Also this Will Dunn character has his own agenda as he is obviously a seller of ILR or somehow connected to them. So I would take everything he posts with a large grain of salt.

As Ian said most people don't know what a good hone is, especially if they're first time buyers(which 90% of ILR owners are). Once I see favorable reviews from collectors and those who own more than 1-2 hones then maybe I would reccomend an ILR or consider buying one. Until then I will stick to my high grade finishers that are tried and true, you get what you pay for.

I believe my face deserves the best quality hone I can afford and so does yours.

Last edited:
HB said, "As Ian said most people don't know what a good hone is, especially if they're first time buyers(which 90% of ILR owners are)," and I agree this has something to do with it. The four ILR I tested came to me from people I hone for who purchased them looking for a finisher. Their results were less than favorable, especially when they were trying to max out edges using my edges as a benchmark. I recommended they send their ILR to me for two reasons, the first was selfish, I wanted to test them and not have to buy one and the second, I wanted to provide them with a reasonable expectation of their ILRs capability. I personally want to like every stone I encounter, I really do, I look at every new stone as having the potential to take my game to another level. My Chinese +\- 12K comparison should not be taken as a slight in anyway, I have gotten spectacular edges from several of them (the ones with orange and black streaks as recommended by Glen), but it simply took too long to achieve those results because of the stones properties. Again, the ILR falls short of my personal criteria as far as refinement and efficiency are concerned, if Gamma, Lynn or Glen told me I should revisit this stone using a particular process I would.

The reason thuris are the gold standard for finishing slates is the consistency of the top level performance from rock to rock. Apparently, not an easy property to find and cultivate with slates. They are also easy to use. Even well regarded finishers from the past tend to not be as consistent as thuris so take modern material which is probably not at that absolute level in the best of times, throw in variance along with eBay volume sales along with a now premium price and it is a formula for disappointment.

That is a point I had thought about, (most of the positive reviews being by newer honers or guys who have never used a top tier stone) but didn't want to post, I figured someone might be offended by it. I must say, if I had never tried a superlative edge, I would probably be happy with this stone as well. I do like the edges better than certain synthetic finishers.

I should mention also that the owner of this stone sent me a couple razors as I offered to PIF hone them for him. The first I honed on the Kuro with no regard for what the original edge looked like other than a quick strop and HHT (it failed as I received it, barely violined 1/4" from my fingertips), but the second - a Henckels which the gentleman in question told me he purchased from a site member "shave ready" - after stropping (and failing HHT, just like the first razor) I looked at it under my scope and it had quite a wide looking apex with my dark field illumination method. I tried a test shave anyway and put it down after about 2 strokes WTG. It felt like it was trying to pull the hair out rather than cut it cleanly. If this is considered by some to be shave ready, I can definitely see why those kinds of guys consider this a great stone.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put much stock at all in eBay feedback as a review of the product. There was a seller reselling "3k" stones that chinese sellers had for <$10, calling them "Light Green Vintage Razor finishing hones" (Basically trying to make people think they were buying thuringians), with nearly 100% positive feedback from the sales, including many praising the hones. Like it or not, the vast majority of people don't know a good hone from a dachshund.

I was one of those people who took a chance on those green chinese hones for a couple bucks. I tried communicating with him afterwards but he was uncooperative so I gave him bad feedback and he blocked him. If he simply would have advertised it as it was and didn't claim it as a finisher it wouldn't be a problem. I've used it after bevel set a couple times just for ****s and giggles.

As far as this hone I've heard good things FOR THE PRICE! Aka Slightly better than the 12k chinese hone for a couple more bucks. That being said the more attention the hones have gotten the higher the prices have gone. Now the seller started marketing a "premium" version for much more without clarifying why it's considered "premium" 12k-15k vs the regular 12k-15k. I think the overall consensus is that it can be used as a finisher but not the greatest out there. But at the current price point worth it. If it goes into a higher price point you'll see people favoring it drop off.

Ha its getting more interesting, a new page is up just focussed on the stone....and theyre two partners cooperating, i am shure both guys from the vid ;-)

Actually hes going the customers review way to promote...interesting is also what the guy from ebay is writing about to promote, just cited it from the site:

"When you get the Premium version organized and one sent to me then might I suggest a reassessment of the costing as I reckon that you could easily double the price and them some."

Last edited:
Lol. I won't be buying the $55 version after having used it. Certainly wouldn't pay over $100 for one just without layer lines - those may surface eventually with enough honing and lapping anyway. I might have bought one at the $40 price just to have one, but it probably wouldn't get much if any use.

Even if the stone gives a much better shave with the glycerine, it still won't be as good as the stones I'd consider top of the heap, because those need only water or oil.

I'm going to have to do my latest test in a couple more days, because I shaved yesterday evening with a different edge since my brother came up from Texas for a surprise visit and I demonstrated a straight shave for him with a razor that I KNOW is good. I tried to get him to try it out, but he wussed out! He already shaves with a DE and last fall he told me he wanted to try to transition into using a straight. I have been trying to get him to give it a go since Xmas when I sent him a whole pile of goodies that several awesome fellow members sent for me to give him. I can't believe what a chicken he is, lol. Says he is scared to cut himself! I told him there'd be no better way for your first shave than having me right next to you, but he still would not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom