What's new

I'm tired of Useless YouTube shaving videos!

That’s good, unfortunately I don’t have the option to get decent shave DE shave stuff locally. At least anything that’s decent.

We got two places Rubio's Barber supply, if you go to web-site you go wow, but truth is none of the photo of old school placer is anything like the untaterian store you find. First time I went there I say What a joke, it was nothing like photos on website. Then we got RE by Airport that disc iso nasty industrial area, but is IMHO Great.

Back in the 1950-1960's every mom and pop Drug Store aka Pharmacy had Wet Shaving Area, that was stocked well. today we got Walp-Mart, CVS, and Way-Greens that don't Cather to DE crowd.

Be happy there is mail order, and online.
Better then nothing.

Trust me, I am glad I can get stuff online. I’ve been buying most of my wet shaving stuff that way for 11 years. When I started, Walmart still carried the Wilkinson Sword Blades, but they don’t even have those anymore in the store. All the stores around here have are the cheapest Chinesium blades.

Those reviewers get paid to review the product or they get the product for free, so yeah they won't say anything negative about the product. The people here who share their experience about a product are much reliable because they paid for the product and the company doesn't pay them to say anything positive about a product.

I think I'm fine with most of them, as most are just a silly form of entertainment, but there are a few things I do find rather annoying.

One of those is how many of them keep constantly lecturing on technique. Then fail to stick to it seconds later.
I don't mind if they're describing their technique, which I think is what e.g. Geofatboy does (it's brief enough).

Particularly those who have maybe half a year's worth of experience with a few DEs seem to feel the need to educate the unwashed masses. On top of it, most of them seem to perform a stroke, then go over the same spot up to four times and say stuff: "I love how efficient this razor is." For their the next shave, they use a different razor (often a new one), blade and soap, obviously struggle to keep the angle, only perform half the amount of dry strokes and complain how the razor they used the last time was much more efficient.

Another one, as some others have mentioned, is that they seem to ignore their actual growth pattern. E.g. Ohio Shaves says, while demonstrating a horizontal razor stroke above the skin, that going across the always tears him up. However, when I looked at his growth before the shave when he turned a little sideways, it actually looks like that's a horizontal pass from the outside in would be against the growth. But maybe I'm just seeing things.

And another one is that they seem to lose perspective on pricing. Perhaps it is because many receive goods for free that eventually yields the distorted perspective, but it's still odd.

I find it disappointing how most of them perform fairly shoddy experiments (mostly razor comparisons), which still have a bit of value, but aren't nearly as conclusive as they think they were. A few videos later they often invalidate the results themselves when they realise their technique was off before, the razor-blade pairing doesn't actually suit them or something else.

Those reviewers get paid to review the product or they get the product for free, so yeah they won't say anything negative about the product. The people here who share their experience about a product are much reliable because they paid for the product and the company doesn't pay them to say anything positive about a product.
Interestingly Sharpologist recently commented in one of his reviews he prefers purchasing the reviewed product over receiving it at no cost. Purchasing it is a business expense and receiving it for free it is accounted for as fair market revenue.

Many great points LRod. Most of these guys get free products on the condition that they give good reviews. Other products also work in this fashion like Movie reviewers are part of the freebies for good reviews group. I wouldn't say anything myself but it's annoying to waste my time hoping for specifics on a product and get no information. And yes, most of these guys are BBS preshave.

My only question is why so many of them use the razor at a 90 degree angle to their face? No wonder everyone thinks they need "an aggressive and efficient razor with lots of blade exposure." Scraping your face like that isn't good technique.

Ohio Shaves tried to piggyback on Razor Emporium's FOMO video about Russian blades with one of his own. Along with one that is titled "Gillette is losing customers fast". All with the goal of pushing those affiliate links. :001_rolle

This is a good point. For me, north to south is against the grain. My first pass is south to north (with the grain). Once I discovered that I got way less irritation on my neck.
My neck, adams apple and below is south to north for with the grain. Above that it is north to south.

Ohio Shaves tried to piggyback on Razor Emporium's FOMO video about Russian blades with one of his own. Along with one that is titled "Gillette is losing customers fast". All with the goal of pushing those affiliate links. :001_rolle

There should be a “Shill” YouTube search filter available so users can filter out videos involving paid promotions, affiliate links, and videos where a vendor provided the product.

Of course, we’d be left with nothing but cat videos.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Because there isn't a button on Youtube for us to do it.

Your post just earned the SWCT stamp of approval 🌠

the incredibles love GIF

If only there were such a button, I'd be pressing it all the time. 🤣

Top Bottom