What's new

I'm tired of Useless YouTube shaving videos!

I have another, newly found pet-peeve.

Subie Shaves has a video, recently shared, that starts with a good couple of minutes of loud, blaring, pumping 'techno' (or whatever the kids these days call it). As distracting and off-putting as all-hell. Then when the man himself appears, he's rabbiting on as though he's been on a three day amphetamine bender. I thought this was a shaving video: makes me feel like I've stepped into some bizarre drum-n-bass nightclub and the resident druggy's just accosted me to see if I want to buy some 'tabs'. I never made it past the intro.

I get it. I'm old. Now get off my lawn.

He really needs to reign in the pointless videos a bit. Recently he did a video to remind us we need shaving cream or soap.
He also needs to learn how to hydrate his lather. I don't know how he shaves off 7-10 days of growth with a dry lather and doesn't get insane irritation.
I have another, newly found pet-peeve.

Subie Shaves has a video, recently shared, that starts with a good couple of minutes of loud, blaring, pumping 'techno' (or whatever the kids these days call it). As distracting and off-putting as all-hell. Then when the man himself appears, he's rabbiting on as though he's been on a three day amphetamine bender. I thought this was a shaving video: makes me feel like I've stepped into some bizarre drum-n-bass nightclub and the resident druggy's just accosted me to see if I want to buy some 'tabs'. I never made it past the intro.

I get it. I'm old. Now get off my lawn.
I can't stand any of his videos with the excessive fake positivity and the hashtags that make zero sense. Hard to take many Youtube reviewers seriously when there is never a video criticizing a product. If they do, then they risk losing all the free stuff from the companies.

I noticed that if I was considering a razor for purchase, many of the shaving videos on YT featuring that model gave me little, if anything, to go on.

Mostly, it's like watching Bob Ross do a landscape painting on PBS.

What I'm looking for is more like a review you'd watch about a pocket knife, firearm, or power tool.

He also needs to learn how to hydrate his lather. I don't know how he shaves off 7-10 days of growth with a dry lather and doesn't get insane irritation.

I can't stand any of his videos with the excessive fake positivity and the hashtags that make zero sense. Hard to take many Youtube reviewers seriously when there is never a video criticizing a product. If they do, then they risk losing all the free stuff from the companies.
I tried another video of his and, fortunately, there was no blaring techno - but the sickly grin and machine-gun delivery was present and correct, accompanied by countless hashtags, pop-ups and screen animations that more than made up for the lack of a drum and bass assault. I didn't even get past the 8 minute mark before I found myself wanting to hurl things at the TV.

They end the videos rubbing both hands on their face and saying "that was a great shave" every single time!
No detailed talk about performance or anything related to the razors specifics. And of course, the razor is always great (and the soap too!) I've even seen this on videos were they compare 2 different razors. Where is the comparison?

-Last but not least:
The followers and their always positive comments of what a great job the person does!
What? Really?
Am I the only one that notices these things?

You don't need any expertise to be a YouTube expert. All you need is a camera.

True that.

But most of those who do razor releated reviews are among the worst offenders.

This is one product where you can yet by with practically zero technical or product knowledge.

No level of I.Q. or skill needed!

Agree on the above comments . I am fairly new at wetshaving having 1.5 years using a DE, SE, and now wanting not try a SR. I think most people on YT have not spent a fraction of the time I have learning. I love this forum and there are centuries I combined experience here. People write extensive journals and do cool excel tables comparing blades and other things.
I can say for one, B&B is where I learn from. There are a few exceptions like Dapper Shaves and infinite edge, but I truly am thankful for this forum. YT is mostly comedy.

My biggest gripe is that most of them say nothing but positive things about the products they review and it’s obviously because their only motivation is to get you to click on their affiliate links beneath the video. They get a commission off every sale made from those links. They obviously aren’t going to make any money that way if they criticize the product they’re reviewing, so they just find creative ways to say nothing but glowing remarks about each product. This isn’t a gripe limited to shaving videos as it pervades all review videos on YouTube.

The only time you should listen to anyone’s impression of a product is if they don’t list affiliate links, they weren’t provided the product from the vendor, they aren’t a retailer themselves, and it’s not a paid promotion video.

I swear, some of them even go into this contrived over the top 1990s infomercial type personality that’s impossible to tolerate.

I’ve yet to watch a single YouTube video where someone is actually criticizing a razor.

I watched a lot of Shaving videos as I started getting into the hobby a few months ago, but I've quickly found my interest whittling down to just a small group that I enjoy watching. SinatraLennon, Razor Emporium, GeoFatboy, and the new kid on the block, Heiko Shaves.

SinatraLennon - nice guy, straightforward, engaging, and doesn't spend 9 hours lathering up
Razor Emporium - sound advice, great to watch Matt's technique, love the History of... videos, and usually has some interesting thoughts on what he's reviewing/demoing
GeoFatboy - great personality, good facts on the products he's reviewing, gives some great tips on technique
Heiko - like me, new into the hobby, but clearly has a passion for it, and he tries to be objective in what he shows, along with different kinds of content alongside the shaves. I really liked his examination and fix of the Pearl Flexi, for example.

Things that get my goat...
  • 'What's going on guys?', 'What's up guys?' as the intro. A simple 'Hello' or 'Hi' is fine.
  • Cold Openings - ie, a little intro teaser before the main credits, as though this is a commercial production
  • 'But now a quick word from our sponsor...' You're not being syndicated by a network! This is YouTube!
  • Performative schticks such as snapping your fingers, clapping your hands, taking a step backwards... then using your skull as a tom-tom.
  • Super-excitable! Machine-gun speed babble dialogue! Never getting to the point!
  • Going on and on and on about how great the soap is - despite this being a razor review
  • Spending 15 hours creating what looks like a perfectly acceptable lather - then another 15 going over it again and again, saying 'Oh yes... nearly there now'.
  • Waxing lyrical about how the razor they're using is the best razor, and if it had been their first razor, would have been their only razor... and then saying the same thing in the next video about a completely different razor
  • Defaulting to the highest level of aggression on any adjustable razor, while using a Feather blade, and then complaining that they have nicks or irritation
  • Telling me all about your family holiday... what the kids are up to... what you're planning on doing after the shave... I'm here for the whiskers removal. Not your life story.
  • Asking me what I'm up to, like you can hear me and respond.
  • Lame attempts at comedy, followed by a short, nervous laugh. Just makes you look a little... creepy.
  • Superficial reviews of hardware. If you're reviewing a razor, I want to know how it's weighted, how it feels, whether it glides or drags, whether its easy to assemble/open/disassemble, how much it costs, if it offers VFM... not constant reiterations of "I gotta tell ya - this thing is awesome." Tell me why it's awesome. And also tell me what's not so awesome.
  • Loud, annoying, overly-theatrical catch-phrases. Like yelling "Boom! Soap Suds!" so loud that you scare my dogs and the bloody neighbours complain...
  • Going onto your next pass before you've clearly finished the first or second...
  • Telling the world how efficient a Henson AL13+ is - and then remarking a Gillette Adjustable on setting 1 is 'too aggressive'. I know everyone is different and that not all razors suits all faces, but seriously? As you sure you haven't got settings 1 and 9 mixed up?
I know I sound like an utter grouch, and all the above are pretty harmless... my tongue is in my cheek for some of the above, but for (quite a few), they're so expected and cliched that I'll skip what might be interesting content because I can't bear the cringe factor.

Rant over!
Another parroted YouTube expression I cannot stand - “Let’s get into it…”.

Thread Sloth say

sloth yawn GIF

Yawn

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
(I'm a Pilot and instructor by trade).
And any video made by someone that lacks your attention to detail is probably going to leave you unhappy
-They end the videos rubbing both hands on their face and saying "that was a great shave"
That's the equivalent of the opening "Hey Guys"
You don't need any expertise to be a YouTube expert. All you need is a camera.
True. I've said for years every single platform would be improved immensely if it cost $5 to upload. If it was a good video and got so many hits Youtube or whoever would give you your $5 back. This would keep the crap down.

Similar to podcasting today. It's as if every human on the planet was given a radio station. You have to go through 1000 haystacks until you find a needle.

That's true I have never seen anyone shave according to their direction of beard growth. They might mention mapping your beard but they never practice it.
I think geofatboy said in a recent video that he has a different growth pattern (of course), but does not want to confuse people. (i.e. by shaving S->N on the neck for WTG)
I would prefer to do it right, but meh.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think geofatboy said in a recent video that he has a different growth pattern (of course), but does not want to confuse people. (i.e. by shaving S->N on the neck for WTG)
I would prefer to do it right, but meh.
I'm sure there are some few shavers that think a N -> S is automatically WTG for everyone.

Top Bottom