What's new

I'm tired of Useless YouTube shaving videos!

Note:
This is a venting post where I express what I feel (and see) when I watch most YouTube shaving videos!
I won't mention any reviewers good or bad!
But I will point out that some reviewers (very few) are actually at the top of their game!

Well, when I'm researching a razor, I obviously first gauge what everyone here on B&B feels about said razor. I enjoy this community and also use it as an educational platform for our shaving hobby. But for some reason I also end up looking at YouTube videos. It's nice to also get a visual hands on look at something!
These are the things I've noticed in no particular order:

-Half of the reviewers have no idea about what they're talking about! I lose track at the amount of times that I hear: "I think" or "I can't remember". I for one study the heck out of anything I do and try to learn as much as I can on the technical side (I'm a Pilot and instructor by trade). So these so called expert reviewers (as perceived by their followers) sometimes don't remember specifics of the tool they're reviewing i.e., blade gaps, blade exposure, handle length, finish etc..

-They have no whiskers to shave (probably one the things that bother me the most). You are reviewing a tool that's meant to shave and you've got no hair to shave off for the demo?
Two things I've noticed that might possibly explain this:
1. They shave 10 times a day in order to continuously make videos for more likes, subscribers and/or product revenue. They never give time for a nice growth in order to demonstrate how well the razor actually works!
2. They're someone that by nature has practically no hair to shave off no matter how much time passes for growth. In my opinion, these people should not be reviewing razors!

-The main title is given to the razor they're showing off but they don't show it in detail. They quickly show a glance of the razor and get on to the shave. And that's the last you see of the razor in the entire video!

-This one is tied to the one above:
The secondary product demonstrated is usually a shaving soap or something of the sort.
Funny thing is that the soap ends up taking the spotlight!
Product revenue maybe? I don't know but the last time I checked, I can talk about a soap and it's attributes in about 5 seconds. If anything, the visual aspect would be the container and not the soap. All soaps look the same when you brush them on your face. On the other hand, a razor is a tool that needs to be seen in detail. Both for it's aesthetics and geometry. Plus a visual of it actually cutting hair and the audible sound that it emits.

-They end the videos rubbing both hands on their face and saying "that was a great shave" every single time!
No detailed talk about performance or anything related to the razors specifics. And of course, the razor is always great (and the soap too!) I've even seen this on videos were they compare 2 different razors. Where is the comparison?

-Last but not least:
The followers and their always positive comments of what a great job the person does!
What? Really?
Am I the only one that notices these things?

That's all (I think)!
I feel better now, LOL!!
Anyone that want's to add or comment (good or bad), you're most welcome to do so!:)

Last edited:
I do agree with you, but I think YouTube shaving videos are more on the realxing asmr side of things, they are not something you should seek to educate yourself on the specifics of razors. I do think there are plenty of YouTube videos that are educative for beginners, just look at Geofatboy, his channel is a mine of knowledge for a guy that is just approaching this world. Non the less, I myself don't watch it, I prefer Kensurf or Sinatralenon, where they shave and in the meantime tell a story about their lives. I don't seek knowledge from them, but watching them in the background is relaxing, and since they have a lot of gear, I get to discover new shaving stuff that I didn't know existed before. But yes, your point on facial hair is something that most people have pointed out about a lot of YouTubers. In their defense, I will say some guys have thin facial hair, and the video set up with the light makes it hard to see the stubble, but you can still hear the audio feedback, so there is hair. On the other hand, there are some people who practically shave without any hair, which is ridiculus. Let's say 5 to 7 days of growth will put a razor to the test so we can see its limits, but a lot of people just shave every day or every other day anyway, so it is more informative for them to know how the razor performs as a daily driver (sometimes they can be too aggressive for everyday shaves).

1686639015349.png

1. They shave 10 times a day in order to continuously make videos for more likes, subscribers and/or product revenue.
B I N G O !!! money money money, it's a rich mans world ... or a world now of lets film anything, everything, make it longer than 8 minutes that gets 2 ads in there and someone will send me a monthly check, see I'm a 'content provider' not a content, provider.

I do'nt watch shaving vids, but you can say if a guy drills 4 holes in 5mm plate steel, he not the first or last to do it, i don't need see him drill all four, i have actually drilled a hole once before, myself, like.

oh where was I??

I don't watch shaving review videos, it's such an individual thing with so many variables that I don't see much benefit in one person's (one time) opinion.

I do watch shaving channels though, guys that just have a shave and a chat every couple of days.

Kevy Shaves and johnshaves101 are my favourites, as someone from the north of the UK.

Of the north American shave channels, I don't mind Ohio Shaves (although the guy seriously needs to hydrate his lathers more).

Last edited:
My thought is that there are many youtube shavers who seem to begin their WTG pass with long N to S strokes, then cover most of their face with about six strokes and continue with these long, barely overlapping strokes right until the end of an ATG pass. WTG is straight N to S all over, ATG is straight S to N all over. If I tried to shave like that, my face would look like someone went at it with a steak tenderiser.

I would love to see reviews from people who have heavy, difficult growth and / or sensitive skin which makes it a struggle to keep irritation under control - their insights would be worth a lot more. There was one guy I found like that when I was looking for reviews of AC razors - can't remember his name but I think he was probably an Eastern European living in the UK. He was an experienced guy but you could tell he was still having to work hard at his shave, which made his opinions on the tools all the more interesting.

Can’t speak for all of them, but many of the YouTube shavers I have watched are product endorsers, not product testers. They get free stuff and $ compensation for saying good things about products. Hardly objective.
I’ve always enjoyed Cheapshaver, an older guy from Massachusetts who shaves w mostly vintage razors. He’s not trying to sell anything and he doesn’t always like the razor he shaves with. He extols the authentic virtues of old Gillettes and Schicks and others and espouses an inexpensive shaving ethic that I agree with. It would do all B&Bers good to watch the guy.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's probably good to remember that the only requirement for posting YouTube videos is knowing how to push record on your cell phone.

Razors are difficult. My father gifted me with a fairly tough beard that has only gotten worse as the hairs all turn white. I worked with a guy who shaved every other day and his beard was so light that you couldn't tell the difference.

I find the best way to get good product recommendations is to post on the forum, including a description of your beard and skin, how often you shave and your opinions/experiences with the razors you've used so far, including blades. I agree that YouTube will not get you very good information.

Back when I first got my DE razor and blades, I learned there were soaps and creams and bowls and brushes etc.
It was overwhelming, and I had no clue where to begin. So I used the EJ 89 and Barbasol can for 4 or 5 years.

This spring, I decided I wanted to 'get more into it.' Somehow I ended up watching Geofatboy. That kicked it off. I've got a table full of stuff and my technique and knowledge level is much higher than before. Especially after being here for only a few weeks!

Geo helped me out with videos recently because I had no idea what a shavette was, and I also got a better understanding or another perspective on disassembly and CLPing a Merkur Futur.

I just enjoy watching a few channels. One guy is around my age and tells good stories. Another guy is local to me and seems like a genuine good guy that likes to share his shaves and talks about random stuff in his observations and experiences.

But yeah, there are also a lot of YT shavers that seem to be hoping for endorsements or free products, and there are also a lot of videos where I've looked and can't see a bit of stubble. Then they say they've got 3 days growth and I can't see it.

I do agree with you, but I think YouTube shaving videos are more on the realxing asmr side of things, they are not something you should seek to educate yourself on the specifics of razors. I do think there are plenty of YouTube videos that are educative for beginners, just look at Geofatboy, his channel is a mine of knowledge for a guy that is just approaching this world. Non the less, I myself don't watch it, I prefer Kensurf or Sinatralenon, where they shave and in the meantime tell a story about their lives. I don't seek knowledge from them, but watching them in the background is relaxing, and since they have a lot of gear, I get to discover new shaving stuff that I didn't know existed before. But yes, your point on facial hair is something that most people have pointed out about a lot of YouTubers. In their defense, I will say some guys have thin facial hair, and the video set up with the light makes it hard to see the stubble, but you can still hear the audio feedback, so there is hair. On the other hand, there are some people who practically shave without any hair, which is ridiculus. Let's say 5 to 7 days of growth will put a razor to the test so we can see its limits, but a lot of people just shave every day or every other day anyway, so it is more informative for them to know how the razor performs as a daily driver (sometimes they can be too aggressive for everyday shaves).
I will point out that I'm ok with the "relaxation" shaving videos. I'm not knocking those at all. Issue is the ones that aren't but pretend to be expert reviewers!

you have to adjust your expectations. what you are doing is like asking a car dealer for expert advice :) (it does not work like that, there is a conflict of interest)
Too many so called experts! If the world totally worked on adjusting expectations, that would be a problem. I get that if the majority of the videos were from actual experts. But it's actually the other way around.

But yeah, there are also a lot of YT shavers that seem to be hoping for endorsements or free products, and there are also a lot of videos where I've looked and can't see a bit of stubble. Then they say they've got 3 days growth and I can't see it.
I'd say the majority I've seen are in this camp. And yeah they all say they've got 3 days growth. But then you watch
3 different videos and they're wearing the same shirt, LOL!!
Sounds to me like multiple shave videos shot in the same day!

Top Bottom