What's new

I'm Coming Out of the Closet: I Hate Superspeeds

Yes, that's right. The much-beloved Gillette Superspeed in many of its incarnations is my only officially hated razor (except for electric razors, which I really, really hate).

I've got one from 1949, several from the 50s, a red-tip, a blue-tip, a black-handle, a slim adjustable, and a fatboy adjustable. I've tried them all, multiple times, over the past year (all with the Swedish Gillette blades).

Why you poor, deluded man (you may be asking) do you hate SS razors? Glad you asked! :w00t:

They all give me the most uneven shaves. I can do a two-pass shave with touch ups and still get patches that feel like they haven't been shaved - as if the razor just decided to skip that part of the beard. "Um, no, not shaving that little patch on the chin today. Not gonna do it." Or the neck on another day. Or near the ear on even another day. Other places will be BBS or excellent.

There are two other Gillettes that allegedly have the Superspeed head that don't give me this problem: the Knack and the Lady Gillette.

The black-handle Superspeed did the best of all the self-identified Superspeeds, still a little sloppy, though.

Non-SS Gillettes don't give me any problems - I love the Aristocrats, Pocket Editions, Techs, NEWs, open-comb, safety bar, etc. It's just the SS razors.

So dear, much-loved-by-many Superspeed, you and I just don't see head-to-head (shall we say). I know many people love you and enjoy the shave you give. And that's OK. I'm just one guy spitting into the wind.

There. That feels better. :001_smile

maybe try another blade? the only razor I have any luck with swedes in is my Merkur 38C, Krona is okay, don't like it in my superspeeds...just a thought, not trying to change your mind :biggrin1:

Thanks for stepping out into the light Hoos and making it easier for others of us to come out of our shave dens/showers/bathroom closets. Gotta say that I am with you on the SS assessment. I started with a Slant. Once I found this place I acquired several different SSs because I needed to see what the hype was about. Didn't matter what blade I used, I never got a shave close to what I was getting with the Slant. I have now either sold or traded out my Gillettes. I am a Slant-man and I am proud. I will not be tempted by the pull of King Gillette.

I tried my '58 (TV) Superspeed this morning for the first time, seemed to work quite well with my Israeli Personnas, and the Fat Boy I had (1960) seemed about the same with obviously more heft to it.

So far I like it better than my Merkur HD, but it's only been one shave.

Overall I agree. I haven't had much luck with most super speed heads. The 40's style works for me but the FT, red, etc..., require extra passes and buffing that I don't need on other set ups. I have found that I get quite a bit out of adjustable razors at high settings. You are right, the Aristocrat is much better than the SS. I had my first shave with a '46/'47 aristocrat this morning, and I was quite impressed. It might look like an SS, but it shaves much better. It might have the same blade gap as a Merkur HD, but it did in 2 passes what the HD couldn't in 4.

So... IMHO:
40's SS is OK.. not so good that I kept any when I did a purge, and not good enough that I rushing out to get another.
other SS models... meh, I don't care for, I need to get rid of the ones I have as I will not shave with them. Perhaps gifts....
slim/fatboy: ok on higher settings
super adjustable: great on higher settings

Well Hoos,

I'm loving my Merkur Long Handle Classic, but I would be willing (grudgingly, of course) to take some of those horrible, horrible Gillettes off your hands! Just drop them in the mail, and I will make sure they are disposed of properly! :biggrin:

I hated my early 40s Milord (Gold Super Speed) until my technique improved and I match it with a blade it liked.
Your 2nd sentence says it all, Your razor don't like Swedish Gillettes.
Try an IP or a Derby.
If that doesn't work sell off the lot here and buy razor that like you better.
You'll have no problem selling them.

Join the club.

I don't hate SS razors, I've just never met one that gave me a great shave.

I'll take my Merkurs, injectors and straights - in fact the only Gillette I use is a NEW.

No law says we all have to like the same razor. But the obvious thing in common is that Swedish blade. My 1940's superspeed won't shave me with a Derby, but is a superb performer with Merkurs or Dorcos. Don't know why, but that is the way it is.

My flaretip SS loaded with a Feather provides me with the ultimate BBS shave.
Sorry to hear that yours isn't trating you well, but I believe it's goota be the blades,money!(with apologies to Spike Lee).

marty

there appear to be two trends here:
A) you are not alone - there are plenty of wayward, I mean normal people who don't like super speeds, for one reason of the other

2) several others have commented on blades being a common factor with your trials...I know once you have a blade you love, you want to use only it, but some blades perfom well in some razors and not others, like I said Swedes for me are great in my 38C, but not my SS's, likewise Wilk Swords are great in my SS's and Krona, but not my 38C

Well, I don't hate SuperSpeeds per se, but I don't currently own any (after having had 3 or 4 when I was starting out). I don't own any now because they just don't give me the close shave I've become accustomed to.

Well, I don't hate SuperSpeeds per se, but I don't currently own any (after having had 3 or 4 when I was starting out). I don't own any now because they just don't give me the close shave I've become accustomed to.
Rich, that's a darn good question, what do you use to shave with?
The only thing I know you use is Linux....:biggrin:

there appear to be two trends here:
A) you are not alone - there are plenty of wayward, I mean normal people who don't like super speeds, for one reason of the other

2) several others have commented on blades being a common factor with your trials...I know once you have a blade you love, you want to use only it, but some blades perfom well in some razors and not others, like I said Swedes for me are great in my 38C, but not my SS's, likewise Wilk Swords are great in my SS's and Krona, but not my 38C

I am relieved I'm not alone. I had huddled, alone and cold, in my closet of shame. A tear of self-loathing slowly rolling down my cheek. :lol:

However, expecting me to give up my much-loved, valuable, and the-closest-to-God-I'll-ever-get Swedish Gillette blades (if God shaved, he would shave with these) is asking too much.

Oh, I've tried your IPs and your Dorcos and Derbys. Yes, I've trodden that path. But then I saw the light. I would sooner shave with a Turbomacchiatohydraphlex 9-blade razor that also opens cans and Motel 6 bathroom soap than give up my sweet, sweet, Swedish Gillettes. :biggrin:

Point taken, though. I still have some sampler blades around if I ever want to give the hard working Swedes a break.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I need to give my Swedes a nice sauna and an oil rubdown. They've become a little upset by all this talk of using other blades. Poor things are sensitive, you know. :lol:

Oh my dear SS razors, do not listen to this madness. You are all wonderful to me.

I know of a good home for all unwanted SS razors. Just PM me for my.... oops.....the address. :biggrin:

Rich, that's a darn good question, what do you use to shave with?
The only thing I know you use is Linux....:biggrin:

Well, when you use linux, you don't need to shave. :lol: You just tweak the source to "noscruf=1" and recompile. :wink:

Seriously... my main rotation has been mostly Merkur's (the classic and the 1904). I'd throw a Tech into the mix now and again for variety tho I didn't get a sterling shave with it. Over the last two weeks, my eyes have been opened to the open comb design and I've come into possession of an "Old Type" and a "NEW" over the last week and wow what nice shaves I've been getting. My face, today especially, has been like glass. (Yes, I'm faceturbating right now!).

(And if anyone has a "New Improved" they want to part with, I might be interested.)

I am relieved I'm not alone. I had huddled, alone and cold, in my closet of shame. A tear of self-loathing slowly rolling down my cheek. :lol:

However, expecting me to give up my much-loved, valuable, and the-closest-to-God-I'll-ever-get Swedish Gillette blades (if God shaved, he would shave with these) is asking too much.

Oh, I've tried your IPs and your Dorcos and Derbys. Yes, I've trodden that path. But then I saw the light. I would sooner shave with a Turbomacchiatohydraphlex 9-blade razor that also opens cans and Motel 6 bathroom soap than give up my sweet, sweet, Swedish Gillettes. :biggrin:

Point taken, though. I still have some sampler blades around if I ever want to give the hard working Swedes a break.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I need to give my Swedes a nice sauna and an oil rubdown. They've become a little upset by all this talk of using other blades. Poor things are sensitive, you know. :lol:

:thumbup:
I've seen pics of Swedes that I'd be more than willing....ummmm, back on topic....
I may have been far to supportive and facilitatorial in my response to your irrational disdain of super speeds, this is actually what I meant to say:
proxy.php

sorry, recently saw that pic and immediately knew I had to find a chance
to use it! :biggrin1:

Thanks for telling me about your dislike of the mighty mini SS but I really didn't need to know about your closet forthcomings....:lol:

Black-handle Superspeed/Gillette Plat.
Rooney 3,1
C&E Sienna Soap
Trumper's Limes A/S

Very good two-pass shave.

Hoos...found this in the SOTD for yesterday......:confused:.....:lol:

Top Bottom