What's new

If you had a $125 to spend on a badger what would you get?

A couple other artisans you could look at in addition to the great options already mentioned, are Trotter Handcrafts and Chisel & Hound. Both do killer handles with a nice badger knot option (I have a Trotter manchurian on the way that I’m super excited about)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you had up to $125 to spend on one badger brush what would you buy and why? Less than $125 is acceptable also.

If it helps I bowl lather 99% of the time. I have a few in mind, but there are just so many options out there, I want to hear from y’all! Help me spend my money! Thanks for your input! Have a great day!

What brushes do you have and like or not like?

What size handle and knot do you like?

There are some really good options in that price range.

My #1 suggestion? Buy a Zenith Manchurian.

I would get two Masetos or one Maseto and one Yaqi/Uomo.

Ask @Chan Eil Whiskers for his input on Maseto. I think he has some.

The Masetos are quite good in my opinion. Extremely good for the money. Look for them on eBay.

MS2. Maseto.Brushes.Old.New.640.Cropped.JPG
11-16-21.Dart.Vitos.MS-Beehive.640.JPG

All three of these MS brushes have huge knots.​

I would also consider finding a great badger on the BST. Gently used brushes can be a real find.

12-28-21.CM1.CK-6.Mistura.640.JPG

Another really good option, and a great knot by any standard, is the Semogue SOC Mistura. It's boar and badger mixed so it's not, strictly speaking, a badger, but most everyone loves the brush.

The Semogue SOC finest is another really good brush, and it is 100% badger, but I prefer the Mistura.

Having said all that here's what I'd strongly consider...

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.640.JPG

Buy a Zenith Manchurian.

These are the best badger brushes available in your price range. Shop on eBay with the excellent US vendor and also shop on Your Shaving in Europe. The prices are better on YS sometimes including shipping but it depends on the exchange rate. Zenith Manchurians are truly great knots. For $125 you can have you pick of their most beautiful handles.

Lots of options. Take your time. Enjoy the hunt.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
A couple other artisans you could look at in addition to the great options already mentioned, are Trotter Handcrafts and Chisel & Hound. Both do killer handles with a nice badger knot option (I have a Trotter manchurian on the way that I’m super excited about)
I was just on Chisel & Hounds website. They make some stunning handles! And I’ve seen a few trotter handcrafts around but haven’t looked them up yet. Thanks for the advice!!

Happy shaves,

Jim
Current badger brush list is fairly short. I have a Maggard 22mm SHD Bulb knot that I re-knotted in their bronze resin handle. Love the knot. Very soft good scrub good backbone, zero scritch. It can be a bit of a lather hog though. But worth it when I use it.

My other badger brush is a Semogue 2040HD silvertip. The thing is a lather machine. Tab bit of scritch can be a bit floppy, but I bowl lather so that’s not a huge deal. The brush has great flow through which I like a lot!

Otherwise, I’ve used boar brushes which I’ve gotten rid of most of them. And then I have a few synthetics. Specifically a Yaqi Sagrada Familia that I’m going to PIF at some point. A RR400 plissoft, a 26mm Timberwolf, and just today got an AP Shave Co G5a 26mm brush.

So I guess you could say I don’t have a ton of experience when it comes to this. I think for an ideal badger knot it would be closer to my SHD but maybe not as dense which I’m imagining would increase flow through. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure if that helps or not.

My #1 suggestion? Buy a Zenith Manchurian.

The Masetos are quite good in my opinion. Extremely good for the money. Look for them on eBay.

View attachment 1391875View attachment 1391879

All three of these MS brushes have huge knots.​

I would also consider finding a great badger on the BST. Gently used brushes can be a real find.

View attachment 1391880

Another really good option, and a great knot by any standard, is the Semogue SOC Mistura. It's boar and badger mixed so it's not, strictly speaking, a badger, but most everyone loves the brush.

The Semogue SOC finest is another really good brush, and it is 100% badger, but I prefer the Mistura.

Having said all that here's what I'd strongly consider...

View attachment 1391890

Buy a Zenith Manchurian.

These are the best badger brushes available in your price range. Shop on eBay with the excellent US vendor and also shop on Your Shaving in Europe. The prices are better on YS sometimes including shipping but it depends on the exchange rate. Zenith Manchurians are truly great knots. For $125 you can have you pick of their most beautiful handles.

Lots of options. Take your time. Enjoy the hunt.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Wow! That is super helpful advice!! Thank you so much! All of those brushes are stunning!! 🤩🤩 I don’t know why I’m always surprised by this, but it appears as though I may be on the edge of another rabbit hole. And this one looks extra deep! 😬😬

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow! That is super helpful advice!! Thank you so much! All of those brushes are stunning!! 🤩🤩 I don’t know why I’m always surprised by this, but it appears as though I may be on the edge of another rabbit hole. And this one looks extra deep! 😬😬

Indeed it is, but take your time. No need to jump into the rabbit hole. It's more fun to crawl.

I have a great brush collection albeit not the kind of vast collection some gentlemen have. The secret is to try to determine what you like. Take your time.

Considering what you told me in your earlier post about what you like, another group of brushes to consider in your price range would be the Zenith three band silvertips. However, I think everyone should try at least one Zenith Manchurian.

I have several other Manchurians - a wonderful Simpson CH3, a couple of Rudy Vey Manchurians - and they are truly great brushes. They also cost way more than your budget allows I think. The Zenith Manchurians are in the same league but a lot less expensive.

8-15-21.WR2.1.15.Vitos.Z-Manchurian-Copper.640.JPG

I've posted many times about this copper handled Zenith Manchurian. I bought it new and have used it many many times. It began with the strongest backbone I've ever seen. It's gone through many changes over time. Now it is hugely soft, but it still has the most delicious scrub. Wonderful knot. Great brush.

My wooden handled Zenith Manchurian is also a great brush. I acquired it as a gift. Third hand. It's a much different but also similar knot. Delicious feel to it.

Both of my Zenith Manchurians rank at the top of my brushes (along with others in my collection which are also my favorite brush on the day I use them).

Some really great badgers take a long time to break in. Some gentlemen seem unaware of this. Other badgers are broken in when you get them; I'd put the Maseto brushes in that category (which is not a knock on them).

Happy hunting and happy shaves,

Jim

Indeed it is, but take your time. No need to jump into the rabbit hole. It's more fun to crawl.
I’ll try my best to heed this advice!
I have a great brush collection albeit not the kind of vast collection some gentlemen have. The secret is to try to determine what you like. Take your time.

Considering what you told me in your earlier post about what you like, another group of brushes to consider in your price range would be the Zenith three band silvertips. However, I think everyone should try at least one Zenith Manchurian.

I have several other Manchurians - a wonderful Simpson CH3, a couple of Rudy Vey Manchurians - and they are truly great brushes. They also cost way more than your budget allows I think. The Zenith Manchurians are in the same league but a lot less expensive.

View attachment 1392035

I've posted many times about this copper handled Zenith Manchurian. I bought it new and have used it many many times. It began with the strongest backbone I've ever seen. It's gone through many changes over time. Now it is hugely soft, but it still has the most delicious scrub. Wonderful knot. Great brush.

My wooden handled Zenith Manchurian is also a great brush. I acquired it as a gift. Third hand. It's a much different but also similar knot. Delicious feel to it.

Both of my Zenith Manchurians rank at the top of my brushes (along with others in my collection which are also my favorite brush on the day I use them).

Some really great badgers take a long time to break in. Some gentlemen seem unaware of this. Other badgers are broken in when you get them; I'd put the Maseto brushes in that category (which is not a knock on them).

Happy hunting and happy shaves,

Jim
I really appreciate the advice Jim! I’ll have to go find some more of your musings about the Zenith Manchurians! And the Maseto brushes. The Zeniths are really intriguing to me. Especially given what you and others now have said about the performance for the cost.

Question for you, have you tried the shavemac 2-band silvertip? If so how does the Zenith Manchurian compare to it? (Reason I ask is it looks like I’ll have the opportunity to purchase a Rudy Vey with that knot in it through the contributors brush this year).

Much appreciated sir!

If you had up to $125 to spend on one badger brush what would you buy and why? Less than $125 is acceptable also.

I'm a little late to the party here, but have really enjoyed reading through this thread.
Two more suggestions for you that have not yet been mentioned.
My Elite Razors Manchurian on the left, and Stirling Finest on the right.
Bob Quinn at Elite is a very talented artisan, and his website has an abundance of handle
and knot combinations at many price points within your budget. And the Stirling, at under
$ 35, is an absolute steal. Both of these have perfect handles for bowl lathering and are
equally worthy at face lathering also. They both have, for me and my face, the perfect
combination of backbone and soft tips; both are terrific "latherer"; and both are a joy to use.
Have fun and enjoy the journey !

010E2A91-6BE0-4055-ADC2-C154BE447E8E.jpeg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ll try my best to heed this advice!

I really appreciate the advice Jim! I’ll have to go find some more of your musings about the Zenith Manchurians! And the Maseto brushes. The Zeniths are really intriguing to me. Especially given what you and others now have said about the performance for the cost.

Question for you, have you tried the shavemac 2-band silvertip? If so how does the Zenith Manchurian compare to it? (Reason I ask is it looks like I’ll have the opportunity to purchase a Rudy Vey with that knot in it through the contributors brush this year).

Much appreciated sir!

My pleasure.

I have some Shavemac two band silvertips.

1-7-22.Muramasa.Vitos.RudyVeyButterscotch.DO1.640.JPG

11-29-21.CM1.Shavemac.CK-6.640.JPG

The Rudy Vey beehive has a Shavemac DO1 two band silvertip. As they say, it's an acquired taste. Very strong. I'd say it has, after many uses, some scritch, but it's what I call good scritch. I like it, but not everyone does.

The blue handled brush is from Shavemac. The knot is a non-DO1 Shavemac two band silvertip. It's an excellent brush, but, has a somewhat milder presence than the DO1.

That's not to say I like one more than the other, but these are considerably different knots.

I have other Shavemac non-DO1 two bands. They're all good. Very good.

Frankly, the Yaqi and Stirling two bands are quite good. In my opinion, the various much more expensive two bands are better. (Meaning the Shavemac knots and such.) However, the improvement going from a Yaqi two band to a Shavemac two band is not as great as you might think.

SolidComfort.12-16-19.Kit.DB.Stirling.Large.640.JPG

Ivory.Silvertip.Yaqi.2band.640.4-18.JPG

I prefer my best Chubbies, and my Shavemacs, and Zeniths, and such. I prefer them to my Yaqi, Stirling, and Maseto brushes. However, they're all good brushes.

The various knots - the Zenith Manchurians & the Shavemac two bands - are similar, but not the same. I'd say they have the own individual character. One brush might not be just like another brush of the exact same size and brand.

If you can get a Shavemac two band, you won't go wrong doing so, in my opinion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’ve not heard of Maseto yet. I’ll look them up! Thank you!

Maseto makes a high quality brush. I have a few of them. I also talked him into selling he a handle I wanted for a Maggards Two Band knot. Recently he has started listing still different handles on ebay that I like. I have ordered some ACE knots for them. My preference is for higher loft than he usually sets his brushes to. But then I usually like more loft than most of the other participants on B&B. Those that like the loft on their brushes on the short side should be extremely happy with Maseto's offerings.

What is the scent like on the Sapone da Barba? I have the Stay Traditional which I love, but I have no idea what the scent of yours is like.

Sorry for the derail, OP!

Thanks!
Very intense and long staying, I use the AS as EDT.

I get mostly the woody and amber notes but there is so much more going on…
1DECA9CA-8DE8-4F26-B9A3-69E7B2B5FDF5.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party here, but have really enjoyed reading through this thread.
Two more suggestions for you that have not yet been mentioned.
My Elite Razors Manchurian on the left, and Stirling Finest on the right.
Bob Quinn at Elite is a very talented artisan, and his website has an abundance of handle
and knot combinations at many price points within your budget. And the Stirling, at under
$ 35, is an absolute steal. Both of these have perfect handles for bowl lathering and are
equally worthy at face lathering also. They both have, for me and my face, the perfect
combination of backbone and soft tips; both are terrific "latherer"; and both are a joy to use.
Have fun and enjoy the journey !

View attachment 1392072
That Elite Razor handle is absolutely stunning! 🤩🤩 and I’ve looked at the Stirling brushes in the past and have read numerous reviews praising them! I may need to consider them as well! Thank you for sharing! Congrats on the awesome brushes!
I need to keep reminding myself of Jim’s advice! 😬😬

My pleasure.

I have some Shavemac two band silvertips.

The Rudy Vey beehive has a Shavemac DO1 two band silvertip. As they say, it's an acquired taste. Very strong. I'd say it has, after many uses, some scritch, but it's what I call good scritch. I like it, but not everyone does.

The blue handled brush is from Shavemac. The knot is a non-DO1 Shavemac two band silvertip. It's an excellent brush, but, has a somewhat milder presence than the DO1.

That's not to say I like one more than the other, but these are considerably different knots.

I have other Shavemac non-DO1 two bands. They're all good. Very good.

Frankly, the Yaqi and Stirling two bands are quite good. In my opinion, the various much more expensive two bands are better. (Meaning the Shavemac knots and such.) However, the improvement going from a Yaqi two band to a Shavemac two band is not as great as you might think.

I prefer my best Chubbies, and my Shavemacs, and Zeniths, and such. I prefer them to my Yaqi, Stirling, and Maseto brushes. However, they're all good brushes.

The various knots - the Zenith Manchurians & the Shavemac two bands - are similar, but not the same. I'd say they have the own individual character. One brush might not be just like another brush of the exact same size and brand.

If you can get a Shavemac two band, you won't go wrong doing so, in my opinion.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you sir! Tons of great insight into brushes, which is also tempting me all the more to acquire more! 😬😉 I spent some time looking at Zenith brushes yesterday, wow those look good! Thanks again for all the advice and guidance Jim!

Maseto makes a high quality brush. I have a few of them. I also talked him into selling he a handle I wanted for a Maggards Two Band knot. Recently he has started listing still different handles on ebay that I like. I have ordered some ACE knots for them. My preference is for higher loft than he usually sets his brushes to. But then I usually like more loft than most of the other participants on B&B. Those that like the loft on their brushes on the short side should be extremely happy with Maseto's offerings.
I appreciate the insight! I am going to have to look him up on eBay! Good to know these brush makers are sometimes quite flexible in making what you want! What’s an ACE knot?

Top Bottom