What's new

If you had a $125 to spend on a badger what would you get?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Not gonna lie I’ve looked at that posting a dozen times in the past few days!
It has a longer handle ideal for the bowl and the shape is based on the Simpson M7 which is also great for face lathering. David is a great guy to deal with and too much of a gentleman to push his own sale on this thread. I suspect the brush may have gelled tips and thus be very soft, but David could tell you more. 👍

That description of their aftershave is spectacular!! If it’s half as good as they wrote about it, it must be good!
The Stay Traditional is a fresh grapefruit with some wild strawberries nice but for me clearly a summer scent. The scent of the other one is really unique. Both croaps have a top notch performance so if you see them give them a try.

linty1

My wallet cries.
@Jmp63
You might give a look to Whipped Dog. Larry can put together a Butterscotch handle with either a Silvertip or HMW knot for $40 or less in 20, 22, 24, or 30mm. I had a 24mm Butterscotch Silvertip a few years back and really liked it but unfortunately I went to fulltime face lathering and changed over to a full synthetic lineup and moved the Silvertip on to someone that would use it more...
View attachment 1389647
Another vote for Larry, I have.. 2? I think maybe three of his brushes/knots and love how they perform. Now mind you, they might simply just be knots from China, but I really like how they feel and Larry will take good care of you. The handles are pretty basic (I also have the butterscotch one above) but you he does sell knot-only's and can also glue knots into handle of your choice.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just be aware that many gentlemen love gel knots. Others - I'm in the others group - hate gel knots.

To me, saying a knot is a gel knot is the kiss of death. For you, it might be a great selling point.

I had to buy and use a gel knot to find out how much I dislike them. Someone else might have to buy and use one to discover nirvana. That's part of the problem.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It has a longer handle ideal for the bowl and the shape is based on the Simpson M7 which is also great for face lathering. David is a great guy to deal with and too much of a gentleman to push his own sale on this thread. I suspect the brush may have gelled tips and thus be very soft, but David could tell you more. 👍
I did not know that about that brush being designed after then M7. I appreciate the insight!!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Just be aware that many gentlemen love gel knots. Others - I'm in the others group - hate gel knots.

To me, saying a knot is a gel knot is the kiss of death. For you, it might be a great selling point.

I had to buy and use a gel knot to find out how much I dislike them. Someone else might have to buy and use one to discover nirvana. That's part of the problem.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Me too - I had a Paladin 2XL 28mm as I had always wanted to try one; I hated the gel knot, sold it, and have never bought another. That said, the Paladin was undoubtedly a top quality brush, and if soft is what you want then there is nothing softer that I have tried, but gel tips? Now way, not for me 🤣

The Stay Traditional is a fresh grapefruit with some wild strawberries nice but for me clearly a summer scent. The scent of the other one is really unique. Both croaps have a top notch performance so if you see them give them a try.
I’ll have to see where I can find some in the States! Sounds amazing!

Another vote for Larry, I have.. 2? I think maybe three of his brushes/knots and love how they perform. Now mind you, they might simply just be knots from China, but I really like how they feel and Larry will take good care of you. The handles are pretty basic (I also have the butterscotch one above) but you he does sell knot-only's and can also glue knots into handle of your choice.
Great to know, thank you! Do you have a preferred knot from him? I’m thinking I might need to pick one up someday, either a complete brush or one of his knots to put in a custom handle I find. Especially given that his prices are so reasonable!

Happy shaves,

Jim
Makes sense. The old YMMV and such! I appreciate all the information and guidance!

Me too - I had a Paladin 2XL 28mm as I had always wanted to try one; I hated the gel knot, sold it, and have never bought another. That said, the Paladin was undoubtedly a top quality brush, and if soft is what you want then there is nothing softer that I have tried, but gel tips? Now way, not for me 🤣
They do make some incredible looking brushes, that’s for sure! Every time I look on their site I add a brush to my list.🤦‍♂️😬😃

I'm a little late to the party here, but have really enjoyed reading through this thread.
Two more suggestions for you that have not yet been mentioned.
My Elite Razors Manchurian on the left, and Stirling Finest on the right.
Bob Quinn at Elite is a very talented artisan, and his website has an abundance of handle
and knot combinations at many price points within your budget. And the Stirling, at under
$ 35, is an absolute steal. Both of these have perfect handles for bowl lathering and are
equally worthy at face lathering also. They both have, for me and my face, the perfect
combination of backbone and soft tips; both are terrific "latherer"; and both are a joy to use.
Have fun and enjoy the journey !

View attachment 1392072
I rarely drink coffee, but I want one now. 😜

Great Elite. I have two and they are amazing. They are super inexpensive on the BST when they come up as well.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Great to know, thank you! Do you have a preferred knot from him? I’m thinking I might need to pick one up someday, either a complete brush or one of his knots to put in a custom handle I find. Especially given that his prices are so reasonable!
brushes.jpeg

Love the 3 band silvertip he offers, I had a dig, and I have 3 from him, the full brush/knot, and then two knots, one on a RV brush made after an Arley (I just glued the knot in myself), and a Rooney that Larry drilled out and re-knotted for me.

I appreciate the insight! I am going to have to look him up on eBay! Good to know these brush makers are sometimes quite flexible in making what you want! What’s an ACE knot?

ACE is a vendor on ebay and also AliExpress (where it uses the title of ABCRE that sells shaving products, best known for their knots. The knots are very nice and they are at a very low price point.

ACE is a vendor on ebay and also AliExpress (where it uses the title of ABCRE that sells shaving products, best known for their knots. The knots are very nice and they are at a very low price point.
Check. Much appreciated sir! I’ll give them a look.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hey @Jmp63 just curious, so many suggestions and leads, has anything caught your fancy? I'm very much curious on where you land

Hey @Jmp63 just curious, so many suggestions and leads, has anything caught your fancy? I'm very much curious on where you land
@linty1 So many great recommendations! Thank you all who have shared! Here’s my current short-list:
-RudyVey with a Shavemac knot (going to start with the contributors brush) May end up with another one after.
-Zenith Manchurian thank you @Chan Eil Whiskers for the very thorough review and comparisons
-Shavemac with the brush builder app
-Possibly a knot from Whipped dog set in a custom handle I find (Wild West brush works or another handle maker)
-Simpson X3 or 57/58
-Lastly possibly a SOC mistura or badger

My goal is to only stick to two new badger brushes this year. The contributors brush and one more. Time will tell! 😃😬

Here’s my current short-list:
(...)
-RudyVey with a Shavemac knot (going to start with the contributors brush) May end up with another one after.

-Zenith Manchurian

-Lastly possibly a SOC mistura

😃😬
^^These^^ three are TOP choices imo to follow up with...

Zenith Manchurian:
20220114_115526-01-01-01.jpeg

Mistura:
20210527_153958-01.jpg

And as already stated a Shavemac knot is a great choice, too.

D01-Silvertip (3-band)
20211101_100723-01.jpeg

You just can't go wrong with them...
Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom