What's new

If you had a $125 to spend on a badger what would you get?

I agree completely, the thing is that gelled knots are sold in many of the most expensive brushes. Synthetic brushes used to try to imitate a natural brush, but the gelled knots I have tried seem to be trying to imitate the feel of a very soft and slimy $10 synthetic. To me gelling is little more than a way to disguise a lesser quality product and it amazes me that it is so widely accepted, especially at the so called high end of the market. A real case of emperor's new clothes, and I dislike gelled knots strongly; but there is no accounting for taste and to each his own. To answer the OP, I would consider a Simpson M7 in best or take a look on the BST for lightly used $200 brush. 👍
Thank you for your input! The M7 is a stunning looking brush for sure! How does Simpsons best rank for you against others you’ve experienced?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Glad to see we could coax you in Dave! Welcome kind sir! Can’t wait to see that picture of the snowstorm!
Be careful what you wish for. Remember, I'm not a fun guy, I'm more like a fun Gus: hard to get rid of. IMG_20220106_164807284.jpgIMG_20220106_171329153.jpg
I must say, it's nice to be able to be chauffeured. One winter when I worked second shift I ain't lying when I say I drove home in bad weather more often than I did in good weather. You know the kind of conditions I'm talking about: your headlights are just about useless because of the blizzard like snow, where there is no difference between high or low beams.

I'm probably a weirdo, but I actually came to enjoy those nights. I was leaving a bunch of whiney nurses and loving patients and even more loving nurses aides that loved their patients. My feet were sore but my heart was full. And that snow was sometimes hypnotic.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Much appreciated! Thank you Doug! At this point I think I’m going to be working with Rudy on a custom handle with a shavemac 2-band silvertip. Based on yours and everyone else’s fantastic recommendations of them both! Unfortunately but fortunately I suppose, I’ll have to wait as the contributor’s brush is currently in the works and I’ll be getting one of those. Just cant justify two right now, that’s the unfortunate part. The fortunate part is I’ll be getting one now and one later!! 😃👍
Yes my friend, that's what ya call a "win - win sitchatayshun" in Bay City Michigan.

Be careful what you wish for. Remember, I'm not a fun guy, I'm more like a fun Gus: hard to get rid of.View attachment 1389901View attachment 1389902
Man I love the snow! We got a bit of it this afternoon. I’m down in the Lansing area myself.
I must say, it's nice to be able to be chauffeured. One winter when I worked second shift I ain't lying when I say I drove home in bad weather more often than I did in good weather. You know the kind of conditions I'm talking about: your headlights are just about useless because of the blizzard like snow, where there is no difference between high or low beams.
Been there done that! I know exactly what your talking about.
I'm probably a weirdo, but I actually came to enjoy those nights. I was leaving a bunch of whiney nurses and loving patients and even more loving nurses aides that loved their patients. My feet were sore but my heart was full. And that snow was sometimes hypnotic.
What a blessing to be able to see the positive things in life!

I have not read every entry but I can see that you have had a lot of great suggestions. The best of which may very well be a Rudy Vey crafted handle with a high end Shavemac knot. I think that is likely to exceed your price range.

To stay in your price range, I would suggest, as others had, that you check our Whipped Dog. You can probably get two brushes and stay in your price range, a 24mm and a 30mm, in either High Mountain (two band Finest) or Silvertip.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thank you for your input! The M7 is a stunning looking brush for sure! How does Simpsons best rank for you against others you’ve experienced?
Simpsons Best is a bit of a lottery and varies between dark prickly bristles which are similar to their cheapest Pure grade, and lighter three band soft bristles which are more like their Super grade. For some, like me, that variability is part of the charm of a hand made product, and for others it is enough to dissuade them from buying Simpson Best. Most people seem happiest when they get a Best at the Super end of the range but I prefer more scrub and like Best which is closer to Pure. There is variability in the knots of most brush makers and some will provide knot codes to identify batches but I have even read of large disparities between knots with the same code. I suggest that you be sure of what type of knot you want - soft, scrubby, or something in between. Then if you are thinking of buying a single Simpson Best then I would consider the BST where the owner can describe the precise qualities of the brush you will receive. Good luck.

I have not read every entry but I can see that you have had a lot of great suggestions. The best of which may very well be a Rudy Vey crafted handle with a high end Shavemac knot. I think that is likely to exceed your price range.

To stay in your price range, I would suggest, as others had, that you check our Whipped Dog. You can probably get two brushes and stay in your price range, a 24mm and a 30mm, in either High Mountain (two band Finest) or Silvertip.
Thanks for chiming in! I’ve heard that a couple times now! I will check them out! What’s your experience been with brushes from there?

Simpsons Best is a bit of a lottery and varies between dark prickly bristles which are similar to their cheapest Pure grade, and lighter three band soft bristles which are more like their Super grade. For some, like me, that variability is part of the charm of a hand made product, and for others it is enough to dissuade them from buying Simpson Best. Most people seem happiest when they get a Best at the Super end of the range but I prefer more scrub and like Best which is closer to Pure. There is variability in the knots of most brush makers and some will provide knot codes to identify batches but I have even read of large disparities between knots with the same code. I suggest that you be sure of what type of knot you want - soft, scrubby, or something in between. Then if you are thinking of buying a single Simpson Best then I would consider the BST where the owner can describe the precise qualities of the brush you will receive. Good luck.
I really appreciate your description of the Simpson best badger knot. I’ve seen bits and pieces describing that somewhat before. But you laid it out very well! Thank you! I think I’ll go the BST approach when I finally decide to get a Simpson. I feel like I have to at some point! Just to say I did.

Thanks for chiming in! I’ve heard that a couple times now! I will check them out! What’s your experience been with brushes from there?

Every experience with Larry has been great. My first purchase from him was a 20 mm Silvertip knot that I installed in my grandfather's old Erskine. If I'm buying both a handle and a knot from him I usually ask him not to assemble it so I can set the loft myself. I have bought a lot of handles from him and installed knots from other sources. He is happy to sell me whatever I want.

It might be just a hair over $125 based on daily currency exchange fluctuations, but a custom Wee Scot in Super from Simpsons would do for me.

Every experience with Larry has been great. My first purchase from him was a 20 mm Silvertip knot that I installed in my grandfather's old Erskine. If I'm buying both a handle and a knot from him I usually ask him not to assemble it so I can set the loft myself. I have bought a lot of handles from him and installed knots from other sources. He is happy to sell me whatever I want.
Gotcha. Super cool that you got to re-knot your grandfather’s old brush! Great idea! (Pics are great btw!) I really appreciate you sharing your experience working with Larry! Do you know if he does any custom handles? His pricing looks terrific! Probably one of the best bang for your bucks I’ve seen!

It might be just a hair over $125 based on daily currency exchange fluctuations, but a custom Wee Scot in Super from Simpsons would do for me.
The Wee Scot is a neat looking little brush that’s for sure! And the custom ones even cooler! Not something that’s made my list yet though. Maybe someday!

Gotcha. Super cool that you got to re-knot your grandfather’s old brush! Great idea! (Pics are great btw!) I really appreciate you sharing your experience working with Larry! Do you know if he does any custom handles? His pricing looks terrific! Probably one of the best bang for your bucks I’ve seen!
Larry will knot any handle you want to send him.... Same as most any other places would.

My Grandpa's brush is on the left. The Old Spice mug is for size perspective. It is also reminiscient to what I used the brush with many years ago. On the right is another Erskine I picked up more recently that is nearly the same as Grandpa's brush but still in original survivor's shape. I bought it to remind me of what his brush was like when I first received it when I was 15. The newer one is actually probably in better shape, as my Grandpa's brush was also used by my Dad and older brother before I received it. I reknotted it about 10 years ago.
IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

Here are some handles I bought from Whipped Dog. I think the one on the left has one of his High Mountain knots in it although I also had one with a Maggards Finest so I'm not certain which one it is. It is a 24mm knot. The other two have Silvertip knots from other sources. Both of these are actually nicer brushes than my Kent BK12. One is as soft as it, the other is softer. Both still has enough backbone. Both are loftier. These are examples of what you can do if you shop around for knots and find handles you like to work with. I recently bought one for a grandson that pretty much matches the 30mm in the dark amber handle. I ordered the knot and the handle from Whipped Dog and mounted it myself with as much loft as I could get. My grandson loves it.

My Grandpa's brush is on the left. The Old Spice mug is for size perspective. It is also reminiscient to what I used the brush with many years ago. On the right is another Erskine I picked up more recently that is nearly the same as Grandpa's brush but still in original survivor's shape. I bought it to remind me of what his brush was like when I first received it when I was 15. The newer one is actually probably in better shape, as my Grandpa's brush was also used by my Dad and older brother before I received it. I reknotted it about 10 years ago.
View attachment 1390881

View attachment 1390884

Here are some handles I bought from Whipped Dog. I think the one on the left has one of his High Mountain knots in it although I also had one with a Maggards Finest so I'm not certain which one it is. It is a 24mm knot. The other two have Silvertip knots from other sources. Both of these are actually nicer brushes than my Kent BK12. One is as soft as it, the other is softer. Both still has enough backbone. Both are loftier. These are examples of what you can do if you shop around for knots and find handles you like to work with. I recently bought one for a grandson that pretty much matches the 30mm in the dark amber handle. I ordered the knot and the handle from Whipped Dog and mounted it myself with as much loft as I could get. My grandson loves it.
Those are all amazing! Super cool history on your grandpa’s brush, thank you for sharing that with us!

Also those whipped dog brushes look very nice! That’s got to be cool for you to be able to make something for your grandson and pass along wet shaving to him.

Top Bottom