What's new

If you could only own one DE safety razor....

iKon X3. The only razor I have two of.

X3 is mild, but still very efficient when used at the right angle. The shave is close, but the skin is almost magically spared. One hardly feel any blade at all. Even though it is very mild, it got big enough gap to not clog with even a bit bigger growth.

While the shave is perfect, the razor got one problem: Blade loading is difficult as it does not automatically align the blade and the blade tabs are covered. I often use the razor handle to push the blade into alignment before screwing it onto the razor.

I'd have to go with my '46/'47 Aristocrat. I love that razor! It's rock solid, opens and closes smoothly, and it gives the most comfortable shaves.

Gillette Aristocrat Jr. I love the way it holds and the aggressiveness of the shave is just right. Also a big fan of TTO for changing blades and simply for the mechanism itself. There is just something about how robust and well made mass produced consumer products were in the late forties/fifties.

Like many here I have a wide variety of vintage razors and I have a small handful of modern ones but my hands down favorite is the Gillette Slim adjustable. With a good blade I can get an easy no drama BBS shave even on a mild 3 setting or I can crank it up a bit if I want. As another said it's nine razors in one.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
My dad's post war Aristocrat.

proxy.php

But honestly, all of my razors shave more than adequately and so far I have never found any reason to call one superior in performance to another. They are different but the end result, the shave, is far more a matter of the shaver than the razor.

In addition, I have never found much difference in performance between similar period blades. I can't claim one modern brand works better than some other modern brand, again the end result is far more the result of the shaver than the blade.

So it came down to picking one of the razors that belonged to my dad or grandfather and the Aristocrat is also purtttty!

It clearly would be this Gillette NEW LC bar handle (weighted with lead beads), because it is a great allrounder in a relatively small nice box, and the razor itself would be reasonably easy to replace if something bad would happen to it.

It already is my favorite non flight travelling razor.

My grandfather's heirloom fatboy. I actually prefer my slim but my fatboy is great combination of functionality and nostalgia. My father's Krona heirloom lacks the functionality.

Funny I use my EJ DE89 more than any other razor and that wouldn't even be close to my pick

I prefer open combs and have well over 100 razors including Big Fellows, British Aristocrats (in Rhodium), pretty much every GEM and Merkur made, about 8 different Feather Mongoose types, and lots of others. Previously my favorite of them all was the 2nd generation open comb Ikon. However, that has been knocked off its pedestal by my current favorite - the lowly bakelite (or is it really plastic???) - made in China - Phoenix open comb slant. I have one in each color (black, white and oxblood). It cost under $20 to buy (probably under $1 to manufacture), but it really works for me. Lately I have been pairing it with a Personna medi-prep blade (packaged 100 to a box). I think about retiring one day and downsizing, but when I do, I am pretty sure that I will be hanging on to this one.

I like its light weight, the grippiness of the handle. its level of aggressiveness is just right for me.

If I could choose only one it would most definitely be my Fatboy without a doubt. The good thing is that I don't have to have just one as there are others I like almost as much but it being adjustable gives it the slight edge.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

If i were limited to one razor it would be any one of my 1946 - 1960 ball and techs. I have several and to me they are perfect. Ironically enough they are some of the least expensive razors i have purchased.

Top Bottom