What's new

I Respect Buck Steel....

duke762

Rose to the occasion
How about you? I'm sharpening a Buck 119 right now. The steels behavior is the same as any Buck I've ever sharpened. Consistancey is good The steel seems to create a tenacious burr that requires a lot of work to get it worked down to the point of hair popping. It's worth the effort! The user is rewarded with an incredibly sharp and durable edge.

Legion

Staff member
I remember my Buck 110 taking a very good edge, but the steel (420 stainless, from memory) not holding the edge for a super long time. I was using it for farm work, so it was getting used quite hard, but I do remember having to sharpen it quite often.

Though actually, I'm ok with that. I'd almost rather have to sharpen a knife often, which is easy to sharpen, than some of these modern "super" steels, that hold their edge for ages, then fight you tooth and nail when you need to put it back.

I am not a heavy knife user but I have found that Bucks take a good edge and retain it for a respectable amount of time. I've only owned US made models, though.

I haven't used much other than the super steels lately. I like to sharpen a knife and not worry about it for a long time.

I currently have CPM s3v, s30v, s90v, Cru-wear and m390 knife steels. I really like the 90v for my EDC pocket knife, but Cru-wear is one heck of a steel and is quickly becoming a favorite. Properties of high carbon, easy to sharpen, holds an edge way better than carbon and is about as close to stainless as you can get without being stainless. Not to mention it's really strong.

I do have an esee 3hm, but I'm finding it hard to like due to the constant need to sharpen it.

Granted a knife is a tool and you have to pick the tool that suits your needs.

The older production Bucks I've sharpened from the 50s thru the 80s universally have the most useless steel I've ever sharpened.

I know a local knife maker who heat treats PM steel (x0-V series) with them and reports excellent results, so I hope they've turned their game around.

Top Bottom