What's new

I Just Ordered A Timeless Titanium Razor!!! Crown Handle! .095 Blade!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I did another shave for Timeless Tuesday as HabannaRon calls it. I gotta say, this razor with the .095 is just not very forgiving at all. I nicked myself in two places again, and barely got the mole, but this time it wasn't as bad, so the mole isn't an inflated looking red pustular monster this time around. So here's some things that I've learned.

I am used to being able to go ATG in the moostash area, to achieve that sweet BBS shave, including, pulling that area downward, so I can get under the nose hairs. Unlike my other razors, the TT does not like when you alter the skins position in that way, it will bight you every time, so don't do it! You would also think that because the head of the razor is considerably smaller then the Merkur Futur, that it would be able to get the tricky under the nose hairs, but no, it won't, it forces me to do things to improvise. Make the wrong improvisation, and it will bight you for it!

I think other people have greater success then I with this razor, and people are just not talking about that difficulty. I guess I just have that difficult face, where hairs grow all the way to the freaking nostrils, and my big nose is in the way. So, even after 2 shaves with this razor now, I still don't got it figured out. Oh, and the other nick I got, was on the right side of cheek where it meets the mouth, I guess I raked over that spot one too many times, I don't remember feeling the bight there though.

Oh and another thing, very difficult to get the upper chin hairs just bellow the bottom lip. I tried to do that thing where you push the skin outward with your tongue, I thought it helped, I was getting more hairs removed. But then later after feeling my face, if I did the same thing with my tongue to push the chin skin outward, I could feel hairs. So I am like, how is this razor missing so much hairs?

Good news, I managed to not give me weepers and nicks in the neck this time. I did what I told you guys I was going to do. I did straight down, then I did diagonal, then I straight up. So success there, and I got a BBS on my neck, very nice. This razor also does a superb job on my cheeks, completely BBS as well there! And I got a BBS on my chin, and barely a BBS in the moostash area, despite the nick fiasco.

So once again, I barely achieved a complete face and neck BBS shave, which that alone is a success! But I am not achieving these without nicks. So, as long as I continue getting nicks with this razor, I will not ever achieve any score higher then 7 out of 10 for my shaves, and that makes me very sad. You should have seen how hard I was trying not to screw up my face, I was being so dam careful you wouldn't believe.

Thats the reason why I didn't screw up my neck this time around! Now I did do a full WTG, XTG, and ATG on my face. Maybe too XTG is a little much for that area, maybe not. But with the 3-day stubble I had today, I did have to do, more then 1 pass ATG to get everything, I had to re-lather up and attack it again. And after two separate passes ATG on my face, I was able to achieve the full BBS.

So basically, in my testing of this razor, I am seeing what it is cable of and what it is not. I'd hate to believe that the issue is my Nacet blade. I only say that, because Nacets are known as the best blades in the world, if I can't do these shaves with a Nacet, then I am a lost cause entirely. So, I mean, ya, I could try a Bic Blade, but for all I know, that could introduce hair tugging, as it does for me with the Futur razor.

And after these first two experiences, I surely don't want to throw a Feather blade in there, you think its bad now? Wait till a Feather tears me all up to look like Franksteins monster! lol. So, I guess even after two shaves with this razor, I am not there yet guys. It really is frustrating, and a moral killer, brings down the mood instantly when a razor bights me, and draws blood.

I don't know what else to say, it is what it is. Now, I need to write up my SOTD post. And I even screwed up taking my SOTD photo too, forgot to have the brush in the shot, for criminey sakes, I know. So I had to take another photo for the brush. I can't catch a break. Such as life, visa V, whatever will be will be.
Hi SWCT,

I thought you might like to read my post from my first shave with my Ti95SB:

~doug~

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So would you believe it, Timeless sent me an email asking me for a review, its too soon to be delivering a review to their site! People come into these razors expecting perfection, because they hear glory stories of smoothest shaving razor, but the learning curve is unbelievably high.

Also, both of the blades that Jim mentioned, are not available to purchase in America, either that, or just not available on Amazon. Now, we can get Gillette Silver Blues, but their price hiked to outrageous costs for 30+ bucks for a 100 pack, sorry, not going to pay Feather or Kai type prices! So I did some research to try and find what blade is considered a mid-grade for sharpness and smoothness, basically trying to find a blade that is less sharp then a Nacet, but not dull as a Derby.

Its kind of harder then one would think to find such a blade that is mid-range. Because its not just discovering what are the blades in the mid-sharpeness and smoothness range, but you also have to find which of those blades you can get in your country you live in, and which of those you can get for an affordable realistic price. Like I said, harder then you would think.

So, just letting you guys know that I ordered a pack of Gillette 7 O Clock blades. So you might be wondering why I didn't go for the Astra's? Just do some research on Amazon, and you will discover all you need to know. Astra is no longer the Astra that everybody has known over the years. Since the pandemic, the company changed hands, and now produces a sub standard blade, and its dull as heck, tugs hairs.

There are oodles and oodles of reports of this, its not an isolated incident. I am not stupid, and I won't take a chance on ordering garbage, I absolutely will not! But the reports of the Gillette 7 O Clock blades appear to be fairly solid for the most part, so I think I will do well with those, as far as production quality standards go.

Now, weather or not the blades work good in my TTi95, I can only hope. But I am no longer seeking advice, and nor am I giving it. I am simply reporting on what blades I ordered and why. My goal is not to use Feathers, I think they are too sharp. And I think Nacets might be too sharp too, and that could be part of the problem.

Another issue that seems to be getting widespread traction, just in regards to DE blades in general, is the quality standards, do seem to have gone down hill. Its amazing just how many reports come out on these blades, where people state like 1/3 of the blades are good, while another 1/3 of the blades from the same pack, are faulty out of the gate.

So, it just makes it very hard to know what to buy, and who to trust. I tell you one thing, I don't trust buying from any seller with less then 100% positive feedback on Amazon. If I see Amazon is trying to default me, (which it does very often) to lower ranking sellers, I will click that toggle to view other buying options, and pick a seller with a 100% positive rating.

Cause I was also reading reports where shady sellers were doing the oh bait and switch routine. So you see, if you don't stay vigilant, you can even get screwed over DE blades. I will have some Stirling Executive Man shave soap coming in as well. And before you ask, why don't I try Derby blades if I can get them? Because they are the least sharpest of the blades, no way are they gonna handle course whiskers.

Derby might be fine for soft whiskers, but not course.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

So would you believe it, Timeless sent me an email asking me for a review, its too soon to be delivering a review to their site! People come into these razors expecting perfection, because they hear glory stories of smoothest shaving razor, but the learning curve is unbelievably high.

Also, both of the blades that Jim mentioned, are not available to purchase in America, either that, or just not available on Amazon. Now, we can get Gillette Silver Blues, but their price hiked to outrageous costs for 30+ bucks for a 100 pack, sorry, not going to pay Feather or Kai type prices! So I did some research to try and find what blade is considered a mid-grade for sharpness and smoothness, basically trying to find a blade that is less sharp then a Nacet, but not dull as a Derby.

Its kind of harder then one would think to find such a blade that is mid-range. Because its not just discovering what are the blades in the mid-sharpeness and smoothness range, but you also have to find which of those blades you can get in your country you live in, and which of those you can get for an affordable realistic price. Like I said, harder then you would think.

So, just letting you guys know that I ordered a pack of Gillette 7 O Clock blades. So you might be wondering why I didn't go for the Astra's? Just do some research on Amazon, and you will discover all you need to know. Astra is no longer the Astra that everybody has known over the years. Since the pandemic, the company changed hands, and now produces a sub standard blade, and its dull as heck, tugs hairs.

There are oodles and oodles of reports of this, its not an isolated incident. I am not stupid, and I won't take a chance on ordering garbage, I absolutely will not! But the reports of the Gillette 7 O Clock blades appear to be fairly solid for the most part, so I think I will do well with those, as far as production quality standards go.

Now, weather or not the blades work good in my TTi95, I can only hope. But I am no longer seeking advice, and nor am I giving it. I am simply reporting on what blades I ordered and why. My goal is not to use Feathers, I think they are too sharp. And I think Nacets might be too sharp too, and that could be part of the problem.

Another issue that seems to be getting widespread traction, just in regards to DE blades in general, is the quality standards, do seem to have gone down hill. Its amazing just how many reports come out on these blades, where people state like 1/3 of the blades are good, while another 1/3 of the blades from the same pack, are faulty out of the gate.

So, it just makes it very hard to know what to buy, and who to trust. I tell you one thing, I don't trust buying from any seller with less then 100% positive feedback on Amazon. If I see Amazon is trying to default me, (which it does very often) to lower ranking sellers, I will click that toggle to view other buying options, and pick a seller with a 100% positive rating.

Cause I was also reading reports where shady sellers were doing the oh bait and switch routine. So you see, if you don't stay vigilant, you can even get screwed over DE blades. I will have some Stirling Executive Man shave soap coming in as well. And before you ask, why don't I try Derby blades if I can get them? Because they are the least sharpest of the blades, no way are they gonna handle course whiskers. Derby might be fine for soft whiskers, but not course.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

There 3 or 4 different Gillette 7 oClock blades, I'm curious what ones did you order, Black, green or yellow packaging?

I ordered the GREEN package, this one!
1654268715671.png

Hope the Gillette's work for you but be advised that they are on the "sharp" end of the scale. Based on the issues you had, the suggestion was something milder. But hope it works regardless!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hope the Gillette's work for you but be advised that they are on the "sharp" end of the scale. Based on the issues you had, the suggestion was something milder. But hope it works regardless!

One of the things that I also was learning in my research on DE blades, is that they also do not all have the same smoothness. Some people report a sharp blade as also being smooth. While other blades might be sharp, but not smooth at all. Same also goes for the milder blades. So I guess it really is a YMMV kind of thing. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

But when I did my research on the Gillette 7 O Clock's, I learned that it was the Yellows that were really sharp. I thought the GREENS were more milder then the Yellows. Of course, I could be wrong, just thought that was what I remember reading about of course too. But I will test out the blades, and see what I think of them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
One of the things that I also was learning in my research on DE blades, is that they also do not all have the same smoothness. Some people report a sharp blade as also being smooth. While other blades might be sharp, but not smooth at all. Same also goes for the milder blades. So I guess it really is a YMMV kind of thing. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

But when I did my research on the Gillette 7 O Clock's, I learned that it was the Yellows that were really sharp. I thought the GREENS were more milder then the Yellows. Of course, I could be wrong, just thought that was what I remember reading about of course too. But I will test out the blades, and see what I think of them.
The blacks are manufactured in India where the others are made in Saint Petersburg Russia before the recent war.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The blacks are manufactured in India where the others are made in Saint Petersburg Russia before the recent war.

Quality wise, who do you think makes superior blades? Russia? Or India? One thing I do notice, Russia makes a heck of a lot of razor blades there, many many brands are made there, not sure why, but it has been the case. Although I am aware that razor blades are made in many countries throughout the world, including countries like India and Israel. But yes, who do you prefer?

My go-to forgiving blade right now is the Voskhod. It's not as sharp as the Nacet and very smooth but still gets me a BBS shave with the Lupos's. Another alternative is the Rapira Platinum Lux. Both blades are made in Russia but should still be readily available in the US. Another one that is a bit above the Derby in sharpness is the Treet platinum made in Pakistan for all I know. A decent and very cheap blade, i do like it in the more aggressive Lupo .95.
Then there is also the newer Personna Platinum which is made in Germany. It's maybe in the same ballpark when it comes to sharpness as the Voskhod and Rapira but not quite as forgiving.
As always your mileage may vary. Maybe just shave with a Feather for a week and after that all blades will feel smooth and not quite as super sharp :)
By the way, i absolutely enjoy your posts and the threads you make. It's wonderful to see the fruits of your great love for the hobby and a great joy to follow your adventures!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Quality wise, who do you think makes superior blades? Russia? Or India? One thing I do notice, Russia makes a heck of a lot of razor blades there, many many brands are made there, not sure why, but it has been the case. Although I am aware that razor blades are made in many countries throughout the world, including countries like India and Israel. But yes, who do you prefer?
It is all Gillette(Protor & Gamble) state of the art machinery and know how that make these blades for over 100 years, the Russians make good steel no doubt but India also has good modern facilities and I would think the reels of steel for making stainless steel blades is made by one or 2 sources for Gillette blade factories world wide.
The Russian blades have good longevity over my 7oClock SP made in India but the blade is smooother than other Russian blades much like the GSB also made in Saint Petersburg but lasts similar to my 7oclock SP made in India(5 shaves). The GSB is the smooothest blade and sharp but longevity is limited by a few less shaves than other know Gillette brands. If you can get a blade that is sharp & smoooth for a few less shaves it is well worth considering all day long IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Cause I was also reading reports where shady sellers were doing the oh bait and switch routine. So you see, if you don't stay vigilant, you can even get screwed over DE blades. I will have some Stirling Executive Man shave soap coming in as well. And before you ask, why don't I try Derby blades if I can get them? Because they are the least sharpest of the blades, no way are they gonna handle course whiskers. Derby might be fine for soft whiskers, but not course.
I would recommend using the blade exchange here in the forum. You can send in a few blades that you have and in return, you will receive the blades that you pick from the list of what is available. It only costs the price of two postage stamps and you can try different blades without having to purchase any hoping that they might work for you.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Also, both of the blades that Jim mentioned, are not available to purchase in America, either that, or just not available on Amazon.
Wizashave located in Morocco is the seller that I got my Wizamet SI blades from.
I have bought blades from amazon, but usually get blades in bulk when shaving specialty stores like Maggards, WCS, or Connaught have their sales.
Just do some research on Amazon, and you will discover all you need to know.
:nono:
I read the reviews here in the Safety Razor Blade section...:cornut:

~doug~

Top Bottom