What's new

I got my first straight razor

Hello All,

I have decided to dip my toe in the water and went around today looking for a razor I could practice on. I found a 6/8ths razor that seems reasonable nice. No nicks, the blade seems straight, it is hollow ground with black scales.

My thinking is to try and learn to sharpen something that I wont be heart broken to screw up, but that would be usable if i learn to do it right.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the razor

The blade has a light etching that says "The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor"
The Tang says Charles Weiland Chambers street NY, The back of the tang just say GERMANY

The box says GEO E. WAGNER & CO, St Joseph MO on the larger part, but the top part says adoration Hand Forged with a symbol that looks like CF with a person between the C and F. I am not entirley sure the box goes with the razor or even that both parts of the box go together

I am a wood worker that uses hand tools and already have norton water stones up to 8k, so I thought I would practise and see if i can adequately care for a straight razor.

Anyone ever heard of this razor before? anyone have any suggestions on Sterilizing it ( wife is a nurse and ...... is emphatic on this point )

thanks in advance for any info or tips

Don

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Do you have any pictures of the razors?

You will need more than 8k to sharpen the razor. At 8k it probably won't be very smooth... I'd suggest that you send one of the two to a honemeister so you know what shave ready feels like when you get it back.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Honemeister

Hey Don,

I don't have any information on the razor, but it is likely fine.

Sterilizing, you can use barbicide or you can use just use alcohol to wipe the edges of the razor and call it good. This issue has been discussed ad nauseum, but it's totally safe. Remembering that most bad bugs that we are worried about can't live more than a couple of days exposed to air (and two weeks is about as long as you really need to worry about), most of the risk is gone by the time you get the razor.

To the razor, if you can't successfully get a comfortable shave off of an 8k stone, you shouldn't be using higher grit stones. For years, the Norton 4k/8k was the standard. Once you get really nice edges off of the 8k, playing with other stuff is fun, but it is 100% not necessary :001_smile

Welcome :thumbup1:

Hey Don,

I don't have any information on the razor, but it is likely fine.

Sterilizing, you can use barbicide or you can use just use alcohol to wipe the edges of the razor and call it good. This issue has been discussed ad nauseum, but it's totally safe. Remembering that most bad bugs that we are worried about can't live more than a couple of days exposed to air (and two weeks is about as long as you really need to worry about), most of the risk is gone by the time you get the razor.

To the razor, if you can't successfully get a comfortable shave off of an 8k stone, you shouldn't be using higher grit stones. For years, the Norton 4k/8k was the standard. Once you get really nice edges off of the 8k, playing with other stuff is fun, but it is 100% not necessary :001_smile

Welcome :thumbup1:

+1 as to the Norton 4K/8K being sufficient to get a good edge and the limited need to worry about disinfection beyond alcohol wiping.

However, I firmly believe having your first razor honed by someone with significant experience is crucial in learning what type of edge is possible, as well as eliminating the sharpness variable while you learn to shave with a straight. Enjoy the ride, but let someone else tune the car for you the first time out!:biggrin1:

Top Bottom