What's new

I find it hard to believe a modern dishwasher will harm a safety razor

Yeah, I’m an RN. Were you guys able to sterilize anodized aluminum?
Not Ross, but also an RN & a lab tech many years ago. You can sterilize aluminum, but the problems come up if something breaks through the anodizing. At that stage, it will begin to oxidize. Not horrible in functional terms for a razor, but not exactly a cosmetic enhancement.

Regarding medical tools, most of the ones I can think of that are AL are designed for soft tissue applications (i.e., nasal/aural/vaginal specula, some probes, a variety of pre-silicone airway appliances). There is little likelihood of damage to the anodizing in these applications. Oxidation would create a microporus surface that could easily carry foreign material, or leave AlOx in the wound/incision, so things that could be cut, nicked, or abraded are SS.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Yeah, I’m an RN. Were you guys able to sterilize anodized aluminum?
Yes.

All of the handpieces I made at 3M and Conmed were anodized 6061 aluminum. Everything I made had to be able to withstand an Autoclave. Even the television cameras used in arthroscopy have to be Autoclaved before they go into the OR. Same thing with battery packs. When I worked for 3M we had an Autoclave on site that we used on our service handpieces.
Try that with a Dewalt or Makita hand drill.

BTW- we found that anodized 7075 aluminum will flake off when Autoclaved. Right around 350F.

~doug~

I'm having trouble trying to understand this irresistible compulsion to have everyting so darn tidy. It's a tool, let it be used as such and scrub it up only occasionally with a soft toothbrush. I rarely clean some of my vintage razors, they're fine sitting and waiting with a thin, hazy deposit of soap.
It all started somewhere around 7yo with Dad finding greasy wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers in the tool box.

Yes.

All of the handpieces I made at 3M and Conmed were anodized 6061 aluminum. Everything I made had to be able to withstand an Autoclave. Even the television cameras used in arthroscopy have to be Autoclaved before they go into the OR. Same thing with battery packs. When I worked for 3M we had an Autoclave on site that we used on our service handpieces.
Try that with a Dewalt or Makita hand drill.

BTW- we found that anodized 7075 aluminum will flake off when Autoclaved. Right around 350F.

~doug~
thank you for that insight, I just read that dishwashers get up to about 180 degrees max.

Not Ross, but also an RN & a lab tech many years ago. You can sterilize aluminum, but the problems come up if something breaks through the anodizing. At that stage, it will begin to oxidize. Not horrible in functional terms for a razor, but not exactly a cosmetic enhancement.

Regarding medical tools, most of the ones I can think of that are AL are designed for soft tissue applications (i.e., nasal/aural/vaginal specula, some probes, a variety of pre-silicone airway appliances). There is little likelihood of damage to the anodizing in these applications. Oxidation would create a microporus surface that could easily carry foreign material, or leave AlOx in the wound/incision, so things that could be cut, nicked, or abraded are SS.
Any idea what could happen to break through the anodizing? And thank you for that input.

@Mike Williams said:
This is important to me, as I am much too lazy to do my weekly cleaning by soaking, scrubbing with tooth brush, ect.

Maybe this is a vintage owners thing, but if you truly lurve your razors, you will give them a friendly soak, scrub, and indeed an ect.

This is my quality time with my razors, as I talk to them about what they remember in their long and eventful lives. And often they answer back.
Nice idea, I like that.

Yes! That’s it!

I thought it might be. In the lather channels and under the edge of the cap, around the posts?

I have one word of advice:

Letitgo.

As others have said, it’s a tool to be used to get the stubble off your face.
I used to stress about how my razor looked for the SOTD pics precisely because everybody else’s looked as if they had just bought them and posed them for the photo shoot. I’m over it. If there’s a bit of lather haze on it, it shows that the razor is getting used as opposed to sitting on a shelf looking pretty.
I will, however lightly polish a cap if I think making it smoother will improve how it feels on my face. (Plus I’m a fan of shiny, as I’ve said.)

I wiped down my Timeless after the shave today with a damp washcloth. There’s still lather spots in the channels.

image.jpg

Don’t care. Actually, I’m kinda diggin it because I love the ToBS sandalwood cream smell. I’m in the minority for that, but I do and now my pretty (slightly soap scummy) smells good…to me.

Wow. Sorry for the rant. It’s been a long day and lots of stupid on parade out here on the road.

If anyone is still reading, just wipe it down a bit after using it, remove/dry the blade so it doesn’t rust in the razor, and enjoy.

(I’m going to fix a taco and watch some Blacklist.)

What is a Henson by the way?

I thought he created the Muppets.

And an excellent and heartwarming television show it was.

Did he then go off and make a DE razor?

What a versatile Gentleman, if that be the case.
Alum, it's a few days away from the "celebratory beverages." Are you feeling particularly "cheerful" this evening?! 🤪

While you are talking to your razors, before you forget the stories, please do post what they have to say. 😆

Alum, it's a few days away from the "celebratory beverages." Are you feeling particularly "cheerful" this evening?! 🤪

While you are talking to your razors, before you forget the stories, please do post what they have to say. 😆
I must report that this is my normal state of mind.

A handful of good ales taken, is neither here nor there in the larger picture.

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm having trouble trying to understand this irresistible compulsion to have everyting so darn tidy. It's a tool, let it be used as such and scrub it up only occasionally with a soft toothbrush.
I used to take my insert tool holders at work apart between set-ups, meticulously clean and lubricate them for the next set-up.
The new machinists used to mock me for being so tidy, as they repeatedly replaced worn inserts, until they saw I could run the entire job with ONE tool. A clean one.

~doug~

Agree with the ultra sound cleaners, though again don't use any cleaning fluid that may harm your razors. I use washing up liquid, then just water wash and a quick dry. I bought it for cleaning my vaping gear, but it now has a duel role.

The dishwasher using regular dish soap won’t remove soap scum residue. I clean my razor weekly with my electric toothbrush using shower soap scum cleaner. Takes a minute.
This. Dow Bathroom Cleaner aka "Scrubbing Bubbles" or a generic equivalent and an old toothbrush. Automatic dishwasher detergent is NOT aluminium-friendly! C'mon...we've all put a shiny new aluminium pot/pan/etc. in the dishwasher and seen how it comes out all dull and raspy-looking. Don't do it!

Top Bottom