What's new

I find it hard to believe a modern dishwasher will harm a safety razor

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have mostly zamak razors I take the blade out after every shave then wash them with just warm not hot water and a very soft toothbrush then dry them off with a soft cloth. Then they are put on hangers to dry loosened a full turn to take pressure of the post. Does anybody think this overkill or will it help my razors to last longer.

I have mostly zamak razors I take the blade out after every shave then wash them with just warm not hot water and a very soft toothbrush then dry them off with a soft cloth. Then they are put on hangers to dry loosened a full turn to take pressure of the post. Does anybody think this overkill or will it help my razors to last longer.

Not overkill. I do the same except after wiping dry I leave mine on a towel for a while until completely dry inside and out before putting it away. And not just zamak, all of my razors.

Me too! You throw cutlery into a dishwasher and don't think twice about it.

Cutlery yes, chef's knives no.

We put our stainless steel dinner utensils in the dish washer... but never our chef knives, etc.

Exactly. Even restaurants do not run their kitchen knives through the dishwasher. They are rinsed off by hand and put up.

Chemicals that are used in electric dishwashers are very hard on metals. It might take many years to damage eating utensils, pots and pans. But never put kitchen knives through a dishwasher, only wash them by hand.

As a note, autoclaves sterilize by heat and pressure under time. They do not utilize the chemicals found in detergents that used in dishwashers.

Regular hand wash dish soap is not used in dishwashers.

Those who remember back when they had lunch counters and used real glass for your drinking water, might remember seeing "scratches" in the glass.

By closer examination, you could not feel any scratches, because they were inside the glass itself. Those were caused by metal ions in the glass reacting to the powerful chemicals in the electric dishwashing detergent.

There are no exposed heating elements in my Asko dishwasher, and I think they even say you can put plastic in the bottom rack. I just find it hard to believe that an all metal razor will be harmed in a modern dishwasher. Is the plating, ect., all that delicate? I am mostly thinking about my Henson Razor, which is anodized aluminum. Is there even any plating involved? This is important to me, as I am much too lazy to do my weekly cleaning by soaking, scrubbing with tooth brush, ect.
Do you have any thoughts or experience with this?
Thank you.
I would invest 20 dollars on ultrasonic cleaner, and use once a month to keep razors in mint condition. You just use a drop of dish soap or oxyclean and your good to go..

Not "overkill", just run-of-the-mill obsessive.<g>

I occasionally put a dab of Vaseline on the threaded post (if the razor has one, and it's accessible), after it's dry.

. Charles

lasta

Blade Biter
@Mike Williams said:
This is important to me, as I am much too lazy to do my weekly cleaning by soaking, scrubbing with tooth brush, ect.

Maybe this is a vintage owners thing, but if you truly lurve your razors, you will give them a friendly soak, scrub, and indeed an ect.

This is my quality time with my razors, as I talk to them about what they remember in their long and eventful lives. And often they answer back.

I tried to talk to this guy once, but he won't say a word. Probably stayed silent when they pinched his nipples off too.:c5:

1670840075593.png

Top Bottom