What's new

I find it hard to believe a modern dishwasher will harm a safety razor

I love the electric toothbrush idea. What soap scum cleaner do you use? Scrubbing Bubbles?

Soap scum remover dissolves it almost instantly. I suppose cleaning a razor is not necessary, just a habit at this point. As for the toothbrush, soap rinses off clean. Whole thing takes a minute. Here’s my Muhle R41. No photo of my teeth.

BF04EF5C-483E-4D46-9FC1-3064FF1F4320.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My razor is stainless, so maybe that's the difference, but I just use an old toothbrush and hot tap water and all the soap scum comes off fairly quickly. I suppose maybe the soap used could make a difference?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes.

All of the handpieces I made at 3M and Conmed were anodized 6061 aluminum. Everything I made had to be able to withstand an Autoclave. Even the television cameras used in arthroscopy have to be Autoclaved before they go into the OR. Same thing with battery packs. When I worked for 3M we had an Autoclave on site that we used on our service handpieces.
Try that with a Dewalt or Makita hand drill.

BTW- we found that anodized 7075 aluminum will flake off when Autoclaved. Right around 350F.

~doug~
This seems like a stupid question to me but are all anodizing processes equal? I don't know what the anodizing process involves but I would think it unlikely that they are created equal. We have quite a few things around the house that are anodized aluminum: pots and pans, various brands of flashlights, etc. Some seem to hold up better than others.

I'm having trouble trying to understand this irresistible compulsion to have everyting so darn tidy. It's a tool, let it be used as such and scrub it up only occasionally with a soft toothbrush. I rarely clean some of my vintage razors, they're fine sitting and waiting with a thin, hazy deposit of soap.
Once a year for me if I'm lucky.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It all started somewhere around 7yo with Dad finding greasy wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers in the tool box.
We have/had the same Dad. My dad was a mechanic. He had a full set of tools at home... another at the shop. I was allowed to use his tools only if I treated them like he did. Always clean them after use and put them back exactly where I got them.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
This seems like a stupid question to me but are all anodizing processes equal? I don't know what the anodizing process involves but I would think it unlikely that they are created equal. We have quite a few things around the house that are anodized aluminum: pots and pans, various brands of flashlights, etc. Some seem to hold up better than others.
Not a stupid question at all.

Anodizing is simply put, an oxidation process, achieved by attaching an electrical charge to the part while submersed in solution. The part becomes an Anode and the thickness is determined by how long the parts are in the tank. Anodizing is not plating, as the coating buildup is equal above and below the surface of the material. Anodizing becomes the surface, it does not adhere. If scratched, the exposed material will corrode until a layer of natural oxidation forms as a patina.

Anodizing is basically accelerated oxidation.

Colored dyes added during the process do not affect the longevity, and are purely cosmetic. It is actually called "Decorating".

Anodizing is classified by type, as in Type I, Type II, Type III and Hard Anodizing. Each successive type is thicker, with Hard Anodizing up to .003" thick. Thicker coatings last longer.

Simply put.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not a stupid question at all.

Anodizing is simply put, an oxidation process, achieved by attaching an electrical charge to the part while submersed in solution. The part becomes an Anode and the thickness is determined by how long the parts are in the tank. Anodizing is not plating, as the coating buildup is equal above and below the surface of the material. Anodizing becomes the surface, it does not adhere. If scratched, the exposed material will corrode until a layer of natural oxidation forms as a patina.

Anodizing is basically accelerated oxidation.

Colored dyes added during the process do not affect the longevity, and are purely cosmetic. It is actually called "Decorating".

Anodizing is classified by type, as in Type I, Type II, Type III and Hard Anodizing. Each successive type is thicker, with Hard Anodizing up to .003" thick. Thicker coatings last longer.

Simply put.

~doug~
Thanks for such a thorough explanation. I've often wondered what the actual definition of "hard anodized" was.

Shavers destroy x1000 more razors by trying to clean and sterilize them than they do from actual use. Dishwasher detergent contains abrasive powders that will destroy aluminum and pot metal razors. Have fun and happy scrubbing.

This is it here. The abrasives will compromise the anodizing and expose the base aluminum to further oxidation, which will again be abraded away and re-oxidized, over and over. As someone else mentioned, you'll end up with a pitted surface. Might not happen on the first wash, but every time you do it, you're getting closer to the one that will kill your razor (aesthetically, at the very least). ANY strongly acidic or alkaline cleaners will also run the risk of adverse reactions with the anodizing. This includes Scrubbing Bubbles. Low exposure times increase your chances of getting away with it.

To clean it properly, as others have said, a mild dish washing soap in hot water with an extremely light abrasive like a toothbrush or a simple washcloth. Ultrasonic if you feel like being fancy. For myself, I'd likely just shave with it, then wipe it down with a dry washcloth, if anything.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Me too! You throw cutlery into a dishwasher and don't think twice about it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Getting off the subject a bit but my wife and I neither own nor want a dishwasher. After every meal she washes the dishes and I dry them with a tea towel, and we have fun doing so. Somehow even the most mundane of domestic tasks becomes an enjoyable pastime simply by sharing it with my wife. She makes everything better and I am a lucky man indeed; the richest man I know, and I'm not talking about money 👍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Getting off the subject a bit but my wife and I neither own nor want a dishwasher. After every meal she washes the dishes and I dry them with a tea towel, and we have fun doing so. Somehow even the most mundane of domestic tasks becomes an enjoyable pastime simply by sharing it with my wife. She makes everything better and I am a lucky man indeed; the richest man I know, and I'm not talking about money 👍
We got married when we were fairly young.... I was 21 and my wife was 20. Neither of us are the people we were then. I feel very fortunate that we still love each other... and perhaps as important, we still like each other. It was 48 years for us in June.

"Least invasive, least work" is my motto for this.

- Soap and a hot rinse. Every time (I always take the blade out, so no big deal to smoosh some soap on it with my fingers).
- Soap and a toothbrush and a hot rinse. Every week or two.
- Universal Stone (Universal Stone is a compressed powder made from earth/polishing clay, glycerin, green soap, soap flakes, vegetable oils and perfume oils.) and a toothbrush. Once every six weeks or more.

I don't like soap build up, because I find it affects the glide of the razor.
My razors are TTO, so I consider it maintenance to not have stuff gum up in the nooks and crannies.
Small regular cleaning means big in depth cleanses aren't need very often, if at all.
I also like shiny :)

BTW, Universal Stone is a cleaner I love. It makes toothpaste seem like coarse grit sandpaper. It is a very, very fine clay. It is safe for gold and silver jewellry, and works well on just about everything else besides. It has no grittiness. My paleontologist friend (who told me about it) measured it, and it was in microns, but I can't remember the size, I think probably 10 - 50 range. It's finer than the average brown pottery clay I've used.

Yikes on the dishwasher. I find that if I just spent an extra minute after each shave and just rinse my vintage razor very well under running hot water and do a quick wipe, I can forgo cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and a tooth brush for aleast a month. As always YMMV.

Top Bottom